Official pitch for an Arthur Chu video, for Jeopardy fans

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Re: Official pitch for an Arthur Chu video, for Jeopardy fans

Post by FireAntsDefense »

I visited right after LeBron won a championship for another team and had a great time. I can't think of a city/metro that has both a presidential tomb and a used command module other than Cleveland and DC.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:If the comments in this thread prove anything, it's that Arthur is the perfect subject for a documentary like this - well known, but fairly hated (which I don't understand, but that doesn't change anything), and successful, but not an overwhelming favorite as to make the documentary boring. I don't see anything wrong with asking for funds for a documentary that he's not creating (it would seem more improper to fund a documentary about oneself, anyway).

Plus, Arthur's from Cleveland, which makes the documentary inherently interesting and exciting.
Here's the thing. I don't hate Arthur as much as I'm tired of the whole Chu schtick. I've seen enough of him to know what he's about. Even though he's not creating the documentary, he has at least been in informal talks with the filmmaker and is shilling for the project. This established relationship makes the so called documentary nothing more than a vanity video that Arthur can pay for himself. There's no need for people (me at least) to donate cash from someone that already has had plenty of free publicity and promotion.

Its pretty cute that you managed to use the words Cleveland, interesting and exciting in the same sentence. That rarely happens.
I don't think of him as shilling. Sure, Arthur has said some things online to suggest that he's not the world's least vain guy, but I have a hard time blaming someone who wants to have a documentary about himself funded.

Now, I said that Arthur is a good subject for a documentary like this, but I never said that a documentary like this is a good idea. Focusing on one contestant at the TOC, especially with as strong a field as this year's, does seem a bit odd, and I'm a little surprised that TPTB would agree to it without consent from the other contestants. I'll save final judgment until after it airs.

As for the Cleveland comment, I'll get back to you next June.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ihavejeoprosy wrote: Its pretty cute that you managed to use the words Cleveland, interesting and exciting in the same sentence. That rarely happens.
*flips ihavejeoprosy the bird*
*gets fined $12,000 by alietr*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Volante wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote: Its pretty cute that you managed to use the words Cleveland, interesting and exciting in the same sentence. That rarely happens.
*flips ihavejeoprosy the bird*
*gets fined $12,000 by alietr*
That's another good thing about Cleveland: Connor Shaw will be starting for them around October.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

FireAntsDefense wrote:I visited right after LeBron won a championship for another team and had a great time. I can't think of a city/metro that has both a presidential tomb and a used command module other than Cleveland and DC.
I'm in Cleveland right now! I flew in here for the weekend, just for fun! I don't think I'll make it to the Great Lakes Science Center (which is where the Apollo command module is currently on loan from the Smithsonian), but I'm looking forward to checking out the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Garfield's tomb, among other things.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote: I'm looking forward to checking out the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
You're just looking to see if your name is in it from all the karaoke you've done, aren't you, hbomb? ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
whatisbishkek
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by whatisbishkek »

hbomb1947 wrote:
FireAntsDefense wrote:I visited right after LeBron won a championship for another team and had a great time. I can't think of a city/metro that has both a presidential tomb and a used command module other than Cleveland and DC.
I'm in Cleveland right now! I flew in here for the weekend, just for fun! I don't think I'll make it to the Great Lakes Science Center (which is where the Apollo command module is currently on loan from the Smithsonian), but I'm looking forward to checking out the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Garfield's tomb, among other things.
The Garfield Memorial is well worth seeing, but more than that, the cemetery it's in is a really neat place to explore.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

whatisbishkek wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
The Garfield Memorial is well worth seeing, but more than that, the cemetery it's in is a really neat place to explore.
It's also the final resting place of Eliot Ness, oddly enough.
BobF

Post by BobF »

whatisbishkek wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Are people encouraged to bring lasagna?

My, this whole thread has taken some really unexpected turns.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

BobF wrote: Are people encouraged to bring lasagna?
No, but you better make sure your parking tickets are paid up.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Well, it is really exciting to learn the interesting fact that Grover Cleveland was a Classics professor but came up with a proof of the Pythagorean Theorem! Oh wait, that was Garfield, but he is from Cleveland! That makes Cleveland interesting and exciting!
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Well, if the consensus here is that people don't like the doc/think it's in poor taste I'm not gonna argue.

I'm also eBaying a bunch of my old D&D stuff for charity if anyone here particularly geeky cares about that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1626566964

(Yes, this is in addition to my actual charitable donation budget, not in lieu of it. It's mainly that you can't do regular eBay auctions to get rid of your stuff and keep the money without looking like a jerk once you're famous for being a game show winner)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

I thought parody threads were not allowed?

Post by Rex Kramer »

Wow, leave you guys alone for a couple of weeks . . . !

In this competitive, capitalistic world, I think Arthur is wise to alert his fellow Boardies to this Kickstarter campaign. I think it's a stretch, though, to assert that the video is "for Jeopardy fans" -- at least when the official Kickstarter blurb reads: "This film is really about Arthur." Cannot imagine why Julia hasn't returned their calls.

Now, if he really wants his promotion to have some effect, he should create his own message boards at "ABoard.tv" and then post it there. (The domain is still available!)

Rex
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The movie of your life story will happen when it happens. I was pleasantly surprised to see three movies about my life show up on the silver screen, and even more surprised to see them rake in almost $700 million worldwide in sales. Didn't get a dime, obviously, as I used John Fogerty's attorney to negotiate the original deal.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Firstly, could be interesting. By the way, sorry, but I don't see you beating Ben in the finals of the ToC. I will probably root for you (I like a lot of your ideas, although you neglected to employ the piece of strategy I would use if I ever got on the show, a more generalized version of the Fritz Holznagel Palindrme, in which I would, assuming the situation permits, make Daily Doubles with randomized amounts (towards the end of course) in order to potentially confuse my opponents during FJ wagering - let's face it, if Brad Rutter himself says he gets flustered sometimes in the final, and no less a man than Brian Weikle makes a mistake costing him $200,000 and a slot in the BotD on a wager that involves scores all rounded to the nearest 100, it could be a beneficial strategy - note, sorry for bringing this up if you read this Brian, but the point stands), however, I think that Ben's 9/9 FJ bode well for him.

More importantly,
Austin Powers wrote:The movie of your life story will happen when it happens. I was pleasantly surprised to see three movies about my life show up on the silver screen, and even more surprised to see them rake in almost $700 million worldwide in sales. Didn't get a dime, obviously, as I used John Fogerty's attorney to negotiate the original deal.
You are legitimately my hero.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Austin Powers wrote: Didn't get a dime, obviously, as I used John Fogerty's attorney to negotiate the original deal.
Ha!
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you want to see the film made, you have until tomorrow morning to pledge $38,989.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:If you want to see the film made, you have until tomorrow morning to pledge $38,989.
You get me on the show tomorrow and I'll win that amount and put it towards the film, how about that?

*offer valid only if I'm on the show tomorrow. Any other day and I'll use a portion of my winnings for going out for drinks with Arthur, provided he shows up at Culver City when I'm there.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

"THE NEXT TIME YOU CAN'T FUND A 50,000 DOLLAR KICKSTARTER ON THE INTERNET, WE'LL SEE HOW HUMBLE YOU ARE."
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

If you are going to make a documentary about a J! contestant, wouldn't Jerry Slowik be a more interesting subject?