Daytime Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Daytime Jeopardy?

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Correct, the "Daytime Jeopardy!" show title is new as of Season 31. Previously, double show markets just aired the last season's counterpart show as "Jeopardy!"
Cite?
A couple of quick photos off my TV screen of Monday's episodes. Aside from the "OK for kids 8+" which comes from a different source, everything you see here comes from Tribune Media Services data -- you should see the same thing from any source in any market that gets its data from TMS. (Yes, they're missing the exclamation point in "Daytime Jeopardy," and, yes, they have the wrong image for "Jeopardy!")

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

dhkendall wrote:Cite?
http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-tele ... w?id=40641
CULVER CITY, CALIF. (Sept. 8, 2014) – JEOPARDY!, America’s Favorite Quiz Show®, and its host, Alex Trebek, will return for more “answers and questions” Monday, September 15. The 2014-2015 season marks JEOPARDY!’s 31st in syndication, as well as Trebek’s 31st as host.

Season highlights include the return of the Tournament of Champions as well as the debut of Daytime JEOPARDY!, featuring encore presentations of episodes from the previous season, in many markets.
I don't know how your local listings list the show, but if they truncate titles at all it wouldn't surprise me that they drop the "Daytime". On my DVR it shows up as "Daytime Jeopardy!"
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

trainman wrote:and, yes, they have the wrong image for "Jeopardy!")
This was what I had noticed. My market doesn't air a Daytime Jeopardy, but the image now being used by DirecTV with Jeopardy! episodes says "Daytime Jeopardy" on it.
Sheepin' it real.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

trainman wrote:and, yes, they have the wrong image for "Jeopardy!")
I wish my DVR would have as wrong an image for Jeopardy! (I don't get Daytime Jeopardy! in (either of) my market(s), so I can't speak to that.)

Here is what my DVR uses:
jeopardycoverart.jpg
jeopardycoverart.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 14108 times
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is that a movie about the rift change?

My station has the rerun and regular episode back to back. Both are listed in the guide as Jeopardy! without the Daytime part. But they air at 3:00 and 3:30. so maybe they think calling one Daytime might confuse people.

If they are only showing episodes from last season on the daytime version, what will they do when they run out of TOC players. Do we get the BOTD again? Other tourneys? I guess Jerry Slowick won't make the cut, along with the strings of one day champs. So will some episodes be rerun again? I wonder what they will select to air alongside the TOC.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I was under the impression that the last year reruns were the shows shown on this date (well, off by one day) last year. Is that not the case?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rmfromfla »

"Daytime" Jeopardy airs here at 6 P.M. on the CBS affiliate (WECP)/subchannel, while the regular show airs at 4:30 on WJHG.
At first when I saw the Titan TV listings, both had the current show as the one to be featured that day, which would have been nice (miss it at regular time, watch it again at 6), but made no sense with both stations in Panama City. Throw in the Saturday helping for a total of 11 shows a week. (16 if you count Dothan) :o
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:I was under the impression that the last year reruns were the shows shown on this date (well, off by one day) last year. Is that not the case?

Brian
It has always been that way in the past. This season, they started with Arthur's run (including the game he lost) and then into Julia with Sandie next. After that, the only other TOCers left from last season are Sarah McNitt and Rani Pfeiffer, if you don't count Slowick. Also, Jared Hall's last five games aired in S30 with his first two in S29.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Is that a movie about the rift change?

My station has the rerun and regular episode back to back. Both are listed in the guide as Jeopardy! without the Daytime part. But they air at 3:00 and 3:30. so maybe they think calling one Daytime might confuse people.
Yeah, that might be why my station doesn't appear to either, as the old episodes run at 11:30 and the new at 4:30, both can plausibly be "daytime".

I still record and watch both though, for practice (and a great way to see how I've improved by comparing two identical games. I don't have the manpower to crunch all the data to look for trends but I'm sure there are those who do.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I don't know if it's Time Warner, TiVo, or how they talk to each other, but both airings (and the Early Sunday AM showing that ls ALWAYS delayed by football overruns) are called Jeopardy! here. It's why I got an unexpected recording of Kids' Week back in September.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

And I was so hoping "Daytime Jeopardy" would turn out to be the original show with Art Flemming and Don Pardo.

Now that would be fun to watch.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Would be fun, but won't happen. Except for a few samples--some of which are only kinescopes--all of the Fleming daytime shows were taped over with soaps and such.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

Robert K S wrote:Would be fun, but won't happen. Except for a few samples--some of which are only kinescopes--all of the Fleming daytime shows were taped over with soaps and such.
That's so sad. And since video recorders weren't available for home use then, there ceratainly aren't any tapes of it.

When I had a book signing after my J! appearance in 2012, a woman there told me with great pride about how her father was on the original Jeopardy with Art Fleming. He had a "close but no cigar" answer on Final Jeopardy just like me.("Famous Female Band Leaders"--he wrote Ivy Ray Hutton instead of Ina Ray Hutton.)

I heard that many of the classic moments on Johnny Carson were taped over as well. In this era when we can save everything for posterity even to-do lists, it's hard to imagine a time when you got just one chance to see it and once the show was over, it disappeared forever.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Judy5cents wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Would be fun, but won't happen. Except for a few samples--some of which are only kinescopes--all of the Fleming daytime shows were taped over with soaps and such.
That's so sad. And since video recorders weren't available for home use then, there ceratainly aren't any tapes of it.
My ex-father-in-law was on the Art Fleming version. I think I remember him saying something about using a Super 8 movie camera to record part of it from the TV. So there may be clips of that nature out there.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Judy5cents wrote:

I heard that many of the classic moments on Johnny Carson were taped over as well. In this era when we can save everything for posterity even to-do lists, it's hard to imagine a time when you got just one chance to see it and once the show was over, it disappeared forever.
Five episodes of the Art Fleming 1978-79 revival are known to exist(one of which, the TofC episode that's on Youtube, is incomplete). The first 10 years worth of Carson's TOnight show are lost, along with many other classic game shows and such of the era. And if and when such vintage shows are ever located, GSN or most other cable outlets wouldn't want to air them. The CBS run of Joker's Wild from 1972-75 was found in 2000 at WCBS NY, it aired on GSN from December 2000-June 2001(the first seven months of the run), and the ratings weren't high enough to warrant keeping it on the schedule. Ditto with 70s syndicated Hollywood Squares episodes and a handful of 1968 NBC primetime episodes airing on GSN in 2002-03.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

legendneverdies wrote:
Judy5cents wrote:

Five episodes of the Art Fleming 1978-79 revival are known to exist(one of which, the TofC episode that's on Youtube, is incomplete). The first 10 years worth of Carson's TOnight show are lost, along with many other classic game shows and such of the era. And if and when such vintage shows are ever located, GSN or most other cable outlets wouldn't want to air them. The CBS run of Joker's Wild from 1972-75 was found in 2000 at WCBS NY, it aired on GSN from December 2000-June 2001(the first seven months of the run), and the ratings weren't high enough to warrant keeping it on the schedule. Ditto with 70s syndicated Hollywood Squares episodes and a handful of 1968 NBC primetime episodes airing on GSN in 2002-03.
How many times have you been arrested for breaking into CBS buildings to find old tapes?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:For weekday Daytime J!, after Julia Collins #21 airs on Oct. 29 the next game listed for Thursday the 30th is 4/9/14, Sandie Baker #1.
Do your listings go beyond Baker's run?
I used Titantv.com and 10/30 was as far as it went. Sandie plays seven games so her run will end on 11/7, so it will be a week and a half until 11/10 shows up to indicate the next rerun run shown.
According to the Titantv.com listing, on November 10 they will be showing the game from 9/16/13. This was the first game of S30 and the third game of Jared Hall's seven game run. (The seventh game was the one he lost).

So if they show all five of his S30 games, it would last the whole week with someone else debuting the following Monday.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:For weekday Daytime J!, after Julia Collins #21 airs on Oct. 29 the next game listed for Thursday the 30th is 4/9/14, Sandie Baker #1.
Ah, ok. That would explain why I saw her 19th on a random outdoor TV yesterday.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

So, now that Sandy's reign is over (again), anyone know who will have the fortune of having their shows aired when the TOC is running? (I'm sure that it should be easy, considering the next edition of Daytime Jeopardy! is in a day or so (depending on when you read this), but my TV listings (that I can tell) don't show when the episode originally aired.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:So, now that Sandy's reign is over (again), anyone know who will have the fortune of having their shows aired when the TOC is running? (I'm sure that it should be easy, considering the next edition of Daytime Jeopardy! is in a day or so (depending on when you read this), but my TV listings (that I can tell) don't show when the episode originally aired.)
Scroll up a few posts. Jared Hall and it looks like it will continue in order from there through at least Nov. 21

I use titantv.com - perhaps you can fake an area to access it - For S.F. - use zip code 94127 - use Comcast and KGO channel 7