Daytime Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Daytime Jeopardy?

Post by Lumosityfan »

Hi all,

Just this evening during dinner and the evening news, I heard some commercials about "Daytime Jeopardy!" at 2:30 pm alongside "Millionaire with Terry Crews" at 2:00 pm. Does anyone know if the regular Jeopardy! slot is moving or if this is a new show? Thanks! (I'm in the New York area)
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Daytime Jeopardy?

Post by dhkendall »

Lumosityfan wrote:Hi all,

Just this evening during dinner and the evening news, I heard some commercials about "Daytime Jeopardy!" at 2:30 pm alongside "Millionaire with Terry Crews" at 2:00 pm. Does anyone know if the regular Jeopardy! slot is moving or if this is a new show? Thanks! (I'm in the New York area)
Not in New York, but I'm guessing that either your regular J! is moving to 2:30 or they are doing like mine and some other stations do in that they run a repeat during the day and then the regular show at 7:30 (or whenever it comes on in NYC), the "daytime repeat" is the show from 366 days ago (the extra day is so that the day of the week lines up).

I'm certain there's no new show.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

dhkendall wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:Hi all,

Not in New York, but I'm guessing that either your regular J! is moving to 2:30 or they are doing like mine and some other stations do in that they run a repeat during the day and then the regular show at 7:30 (or whenever it comes on in NYC), the "daytime repeat" is the show from 366 days ago (the extra day is so that the day of the week lines up).

I'm certain there's no new show.
My guess would be the latter. When I lived in Utah, they'd show last year's rerun at 4:30 and the new show at 7:30. According to the Jeopardy! website, Jeopardy! in New York is on at 7:00 PM, so that would be the new show.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Daytime Jeopardy! signifies reruns from the previous season. WPVI Philly and WABC NY are doing this at 2:30PM weekdays starting next month, in a block starting with WWTBAM at 2PM. WPVI did air year old J! reruns at 11AM from 9/85-9/88(save for Sep-Dec 1986 when the reruns aired at 4PM). Both stations aired WWTBAM at 12:30PM since Fall 2003, but are moving WWTBAM in order to expand their newscasts at Noon to one hour. General Hospital is moving from 2PM to 3PM on those stations and maybe some others this season. A lot of ABC stations took Katie Couric's talk show which bowed in Fall 2012 and is not being renewed.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I would much rather a station (one near me, that is) would run a rerun of the episode 30 years ago each day. I already have almost all of the episodes for the past 9 years, so running last year's won't do me much good.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:I would much rather a station (one near me, that is) would run a rerun of the episode 30 years ago each day. I already have almost all of the episodes for the past 9 years, so running last year's won't do me much good.

Brian
The archive would like that as well. I wish Crackle would use their Jeopardy! site to show some classic old champs.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

dhkendall wrote:Not in New York, but I'm guessing that either your regular J! is moving to 2:30 or they are doing like mine and some other stations do in that they run a repeat during the day and then the regular show at 7:30 (or whenever it comes on in NYC), the "daytime repeat" is the show from 366 days ago (the extra day is so that the day of the week lines up).
Actually it's the show from 364 days ago (exactly 52 weeks), except when the last summer hiatus had a seventh week in which case it's 371 days (53 weeks).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

GoodStrategy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Not in New York, but I'm guessing that either your regular J! is moving to 2:30 or they are doing like mine and some other stations do in that they run a repeat during the day and then the regular show at 7:30 (or whenever it comes on in NYC), the "daytime repeat" is the show from 366 days ago (the extra day is so that the day of the week lines up).
Actually it's the show from 364 days ago (exactly 52 weeks), except when the last summer hiatus had a seventh week in which case it's 371 days (53 weeks).
D'oh! I hope when The Call comes my ability to mistake "add one" for "subtract one" doesn't bite me in my FJ wager!

Curiously, during the summer hiatus, my station is just replaying the last 6 or so weeks of regular play of Season 29, starting with June 24 on August 4 (and assuming they'll end season 29 right when the summer hiatus ends), even though we saw those games recently.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

@dhkendall, When it comes to wagering and you want to avoid the tie remember if you're looking to cover a certain amount with a correct response (e.g. a trailer's double-up) you'd add the dollar to your wager, and if you're looking to avoid falling below a certain amount if wrong (e.g. preserving a lock) you'd subtract the dollar from your wager.

In the case of matching the days of the week, just remember that in such a case the difference in days should be a multiple of 7 (which 364 is and 366 is not).
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Surprise. After beginning with Kids Week from the end of season 29, the second week opens with Arthur Chu's first game. Maybe Julia will be next afrer Chu's run, and then what?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cosmos wrote:Surprise. After beginning with Kids Week from the end of season 29, the second week opens with Arthur Chu's first game. Maybe Julia will be next afrer Chu's run, and then what?
Perhaps they are getting us acquainted with the TOC people?

Personally, I wish they'd show much older games in Daytime Jeopardy!, I was quite happy to see the old games on Crackle since I wasn't watching them for the most part at the time they aired. Heck, maybe they can put them on Crackle!

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
cosmos wrote:Surprise. After beginning with Kids Week from the end of season 29, the second week opens with Arthur Chu's first game. Maybe Julia will be next afrer Chu's run, and then what?
Perhaps they are getting us acquainted with the TOC people?

Personally, I wish they'd show much older games in Daytime Jeopardy!, I was quite happy to see the old games on Crackle since I wasn't watching them for the most part at the time they aired. Heck, maybe they can put them on Crackle!
Not that it is any surprise, TitanTV's listings show Arthur Chu's run ending on Sept. 30th. That gives his 12 games a straight run through with no tourney break. Oct. 1 lists 4/21/14, so that is of course Julia Collins #1. So, if I am counting correctly then Oct. 30th would be more TOCers, the start of season 30 or someone else.

Rewatching Arthur this week, I've noticed more how he is like a streak shooter on the basketball court. Some parts of the boards are not for him while other parts have him en fuego.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex recorded a special opening for today's game: "Season 30 brought us some of the most talked about contestants ever. Here's another look at one of them."

Are we sure this Julia Collins person will win 20 games? It's like Dan Pawson's debut. Sometimes you never know what might happen down the road.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The weekend run started on 9/20 with the season 30 premiere(AKA Jared Hall game three from 9/16/2013) and on 9/27 Jared Hall game six from 9/19/2013 aired,
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Perhaps apropos of nothing, I have noticed that the DirecTV recordings for my regular Jeopardy episodes (It runs at 4:30 in my market, so I DVR) show an icon/avatar that is labelled "Daytime Jeopardy". I didn't notice this before this season--seems like before this it just said "Jeopardy", but I don't have any episodes saved from last season. My market (St. Louis, MO) doesn't run a last season episode during the day as far as I know. We have 1 rerun per week on Monday morning at midnight.
Sheepin' it real.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For weekday Daytime J!, after Julia Collins #21 airs on Oct. 29 the next game listed for Thursday the 30th is 4/9/14, Sandie Baker #1.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:"Daytime Jeopardy". I didn't notice this before this season
Correct, the "Daytime Jeopardy!" show title is new as of Season 31. Previously, double show markets just aired the last season's counterpart show as "Jeopardy!"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:For weekday Daytime J!, after Julia Collins #21 airs on Oct. 29 the next game listed for Thursday the 30th is 4/9/14, Sandie Baker #1.
Do your listings go beyond Baker's run?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:"Daytime Jeopardy". I didn't notice this before this season
Correct, the "Daytime Jeopardy!" show title is new as of Season 31. Previously, double show markets just aired the last season's counterpart show as "Jeopardy!"
Cite? I know my market, that's aired repeats in the morning for a few years now, still calls the daytime show Jeopardy! in TV listings and on air (for example, I've heard the morning news show it follows with end with "stay tuned for Jeopardy!" from its on-air hosts)

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:For weekday Daytime J!, after Julia Collins #21 airs on Oct. 29 the next game listed for Thursday the 30th is 4/9/14, Sandie Baker #1.
Do your listings go beyond Baker's run?
I used Titantv.com and 10/30 was as far as it went. Sandie plays seven games so her run will end on 11/7, so it will be a week and a half until 11/10 shows up to indicate the next rerun run shown.