Game Ideas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Game Ideas

Post by esrever »

I have some ideas for future games:

1. Think Same. The object is to score the most points with correct answers. It would be scored like Think Different, except that wrong answers would be worth zero points.

2. Think Different or Think Same in which the participants are allowed to look up the answers.

3. Guesstimania in which the participants try to guess the closest to the correct answer without going over. All players guessing more than the correct answer would be eliminated, as would the one player who is the farthest under. Play would continue until one player (the winner) remains. If any elimination would result in no players remaining, then the players would stay in the game for the next question.

4. Think Different, Think Same, and other games that allow each participant to enter multiple times (up to five, say). This would allow each participant to employ several different strategies and maybe increase his or her likelihood of winning. For example, if a participant had the user name of Cheater, then this person could enter using players named Cheater_1, Cheater_2, Cheater_3, Cheater_4, and Cheater_5. Wouldn't it be fun to track your five players and to see how well each one does? I certainly thought it was fun (and sometimes with more than five players), but of course I did it against the rules.

5. Cal-Q-Late. A game in which the participants do calculations in their heads, without any aids like pencil/paper or calculators. Each question would have a tolerance band in which the answer must fall. Give the number of acres in 4 square miles, plus or minus 100 acres. Give the weight of 12 gallons of water, plus or minus 5 pounds. Give the number of seconds in the year 2013, plus or minus 1 million seconds. You get the idea. The game would be single-elimination, with all participants giving a wrong answer being eliminated. If the elimination would result in no players remaining, then the players would stay in the game for the next question. The winner would be last person remaining.
jjwaymee

Re: Game Ideas

Post by jjwaymee »

Why are you still here?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

jjwaymee wrote:Why are you still here?
This.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
BobF

Post by BobF »

Somebody did a Think Same a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55&hilit=undifferent

BARandall hosted it.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Almost makes me sympathize with Nurse Ratched.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Just get out. You should play a game called doctor with a real psychotherapist taking care of your issues and the idiotic characters you make up.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

I'm saying this in all seriousness; I really do hope that you can get help because it really does seem like you have some issues.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

On this forum they play more variations of Sheep/Think same and Think different than you can imagine:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/59/pu ... her-games/
hscer

Post by hscer »

I had to look at the time stamp a half-dozen times. It really does say today, August 28, 2014.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Vanya wrote:On this forum they play more variations of Sheep/Think same and Think different than you can imagine:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/59/pu ... her-games/
You are underestimating this guy's imagination.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

How have you not been banned?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CrunchyTaco wrote:How have you not been banned?
Right? Get on that Andy. ;)

(I think he's on vacation or something.)
BobF

Post by BobF »

CrunchyTaco wrote:How have you not been banned?
Frankly, I don't think banning will do much good. He'd be able to go incognito with a new user name. I'd rather he just keep the user name and just be banned from games.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

For example, if a participant had the user name of Cheater, then this person could enter using players named Cheater_1, Cheater_2, Cheater_3, Cheater_4, and Cheater_5. Wouldn't it be fun to track your five players and to see how well each one does? I certainly thought it was fun (and sometimes with more than five players), but of course I did it against the rules.
Seriously, bud??? What the heck is wrong with you?
esrever

Post by esrever »

Tpmorrison wrote:
For example, if a participant had the user name of Cheater, then this person could enter using players named Cheater_1, Cheater_2, Cheater_3, Cheater_4, and Cheater_5. Wouldn't it be fun to track your five players and to see how well each one does? I certainly thought it was fun (and sometimes with more than five players), but of course I did it against the rules.
Of course, it was wrong for me to cheat by using multiple players in the TDs and other games the way they are set up now. But if the rules were changed to allow each person to have multiple players, I see nothing wrong with that. It's like a horse owner having multiple horses in the same race, or a NASCAR team having multiple cars in the same race. It might increase one's likelihood of winning.
JoshuaRQI
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaRQI »

The point of the game is to have no idea what other people are thinking or submitting. That's the FUN of it. How it could be interesting any other way I don't know.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

esrever wrote:
Tpmorrison wrote:
Of course, it was wrong for me to cheat by using multiple players in the TDs and other games the way they are set up now. But if the rules were changed to allow each person to have multiple players, I see nothing wrong with that. It's like a horse owner having multiple horses in the same race, or a NASCAR team having multiple cars in the same race. It might increase one's likelihood of winning.
Or, you know, you could just have the question read "Name 5of the 15 largest states in the US" so everyone has the multiple entry angle - as a mod I frown quite severely on people creating socks here for any reason.

You seem to have forgotten that the flaw in your games as outlined is giving everyone the same chance, so it's not really an advantage. It only is so when just one person does it, especially if they don't tell anyone, that's what you did.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012