Thursday, September 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, September 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

jhenning wrote:I have lost so much sleep over that FJ, it's unreal. I feel I lost it (whether I had it to begin with is up for debate!), panicked, didn't read the question thoroughly, and completely forgot the category all in one fell swoop - I didn't even remember seeing the word 'German' in the question until I saw it last night. I was so nervous that I was the last to enter a wager AND the coordinators made me rewrite the wager number because my hands were shaking so much - Bill/Carrie might be able to attest to the moment my nerves got the better of me, haha.

Compounding the idiocy of my DD bet: My girlfriend has Ariel-red dyed hair and my dad never ceases to remind me that The Little Mermaid was my favorite movie as a kid. My watching party (which included more librarians!) all gave me a hard time about it and I'll probably show up to work on Monday with a pile of Little Mermaid merch 'magically' sitting on my chair.

But yeah, Bill, you were a hell of a player and a pretty swell dude to boot!
It's the lights. People who have never been on don't fully appreciate that effect. Nothing to be ashamed of with your performance.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:
econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Was New Zealand a British colony in his lifetime?
Has been since the mid-1800's.
New Zealand is not a British colony; it’s a self-governing dominion within the British Commonwealth. New Zealanders are not British. This response did not warrant a BMS; it was simply wrong.
No it wasn't wrong. Hillary was born in 1919 when New Zealanders were still considered British citizens. New Zealand citizenship wasn't established until the British Nationality and New Zealand Nationality Act 1948 came into effect. Hillary would have had dual nationalities because of Act.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

countyguy wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:
goatman wrote: Only the wife knew 'organza', NHO so learned something again.
I'm speculating, but my guess is that naurae29 was saying that "the wife" could be interpreted as referring not to goatman's wife, but to the lone female contestant.
I think that he meant "my wife" but wasn't using words in the most careful of ways. I did not find it to be any more sexist than when people say "my wife instagot this FJ but I missed it."
Fairly common usage of the definite article as an informal replacement of the possessive – in which case, it might be even less sexist than "my wife."

Other examples:

"The hubby's running an Ironman this weekend!"
"The old ball-and-chain won't let me play poker with the boys."
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

jhenning wrote:I have lost so much sleep over that FJ, it's unreal. I feel I lost it (whether I had it to begin with is up for debate!), panicked, didn't read the question thoroughly, and completely forgot the category all in one fell swoop - I didn't even remember seeing the word 'German' in the question until I saw it last night. I was so nervous that I was the last to enter a wager AND the coordinators made me rewrite the wager number because my hands were shaking so much - Bill/Carrie might be able to attest to the moment my nerves got the better of me, haha.

Compounding the idiocy of my DD bet: My girlfriend has Ariel-red dyed hair and my dad never ceases to remind me that The Little Mermaid was my favorite movie as a kid. My watching party (which included more librarians!) all gave me a hard time about it and I'll probably show up to work on Monday with a pile of Little Mermaid merch 'magically' sitting on my chair.

But yeah, Bill, you were a hell of a player and a pretty swell dude to boot!
Thanks, Jesse! You were one stronger player, too, and it was a pleasure meeting you.
stevo4212
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by stevo4212 »

Did you remember reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?

I find it somewhat odd that the first reich was the Holy Roman Empire. I don't think Hitler would have glorified the HRE; there were too many Slavs and other undesirables in that empire, according to him. I think he was referring to Frederick the Great's glorious Hohenzollern empire, as the first reich, not the Holy Roman Empire.

What do you think?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

stevo4212 wrote:Did you remember reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?

I find it somewhat odd that the first reich was the Holy Roman Empire. I don't think Hitler would have glorified the HRE; there were too many Slavs and other undesirables in that empire, according to him. I think he was referring to Frederick the Great's glorious Hohenzollern empire, as the first reich, not the Holy Roman Empire.

What do you think?
The First Reich had been the medieval Holy Roman Empire; the Second Reich had been that which was formed by Bismarck in 1871 after Prussia's defeat of France. Both had added glory to the German name.
That's what The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich says about it, pages 90-91 of the paperback.
I don't think Hitler originated those terms.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Vermonter wrote:
countyguy wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:
goatman wrote: Only the wife knew 'organza', NHO so learned something again.
I'm speculating, but my guess is that naurae29 was saying that "the wife" could be interpreted as referring not to goatman's wife, but to the lone female contestant.
I think that he meant "my wife" but wasn't using words in the most careful of ways. I did not find it to be any more sexist than when people say "my wife instagot this FJ but I missed it."
Fairly common usage of the definite article as an informal replacement of the possessive – in which case, it might be even less sexist than "my wife."

Other examples:

"The hubby's running an Ironman this weekend!"
"The old ball-and-chain won't let me play poker with the boys."
Yes it's a common vernacular colloquialism by substitution of an indefinite article for a possessive, suggesting a diminutive but not necessarily derogatory fondness, as in "the little woman."
Never imagined you-all would get bent over it, LMAO.

NHO "ball-and-chain," nice one!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!