Thursday, September 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, September 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28/57

Explorer: 3 80's: 3 Gem: 1 Fairy: 2 Conjunction: 2 Movie: 3
Beltway: 4 TV: 2 Big: 4 Magazine: 1 "Za": 2 NASA: 1

Lach trash: "Chicago"

Only entertained a half-hearted guess of "Prussia" for the final, but once Alex said the third one was infamous, I knew it right away.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jeopfansincebirth wrote:$17,778 for me for this game on my Play Jeopardy app.

Thank you to UniquePerspective for posting the link to the episode, because I won't get a chance to see it on TV because of Thursday Night Football on CBS. In fact, all CBS stations in the Eastern Time Zone that air Jeopardy! will be preempting the Thursday shows during football season.
Shouldn't that be all CBS stations in the Eastern Time Zone that air Jeopardy! at 7:30?

For anyone who does get J! on a CBS channel at 7:30, do you know that many stations will air pre-empted episodes in an alternate timeslot? It may be at 2 or 3 in the morning, but if you have a DVR or other recording method, you can still get the show that way, just check your program guide or station website to see if they have it on the schedule, and of course prepare yourself for the football game to run long and the schedule to be thrown behind.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

^
^
^

Wager nit

That last DD wager was awful, but I think I disliked more the CHILDREN"S LIBRARIAN betting only 1200 (out of 4200) on the Fairy Tale Category.
Third place blew an easy $1000 with FJ wager. 2nd had to go essentially all-in

Reich was instaget, not sure why the struggle.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Zauberlehrling is almost always translated as "Sorcerer's Apprentice" but a Google search found "Pupil in Magic" in a few places. Zauber translates to magic, and Zauberin translates to either sorcerer or magician. So perhaps that allowed the judges flexibility.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

danspartan wrote:^
^
^

Wager nit

That last DD wager was awful, but I think I disliked more the CHILDREN"S LIBRARIAN betting only 1200 (out of 4200) on the Fairy Tale Category.
Third place blew an easy $1000 with FJ wager. 2nd had to go essentially all-in

Reich was instaget, not sure why the struggle.
Yep, I thought Jesse would go for a true DD on that Fairy Tales DD given his career pursuit.

LT: New Zealand, Casey, Geese (hopefully, no BMS that they must be Canadian Geese) & Vanity Fair.

Instaget FJ.

Good job by Bill coming back after the slow start.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

UniquePerspective wrote:The episode got on YouTube this morning, so I got to see it early. I'll put a spoiler link in here in case you all want to see it early.
Spoiler
Thanks for the link. I am used to football replacing J on Fridays here in northeast. Imagine my surprise when we have football today too. I don't understand why they need to have 1hr pregame show? C'mon start at 8 and let us watch J.
Surprisingly got a word category FJ. More Historical though.
Bill you won the game. ..let's ignore your DD wager.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Geese (hopefully, no BMS that they must be Canadian )
for your sake I hope they don't since that would probably be a neg. :(
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

By an odd coincidence I took my kid to Smithsonian Nat'l History Museum where they have a display on DNA and a piece of Sully Sullenberger's plane with feathers still stuck in it; the interactive part is for kids to study five DNA samples from various birds to match the specimen, like junior forensic investigators... makes Canada Goose quite memorable (Lest ye forget!)
Scored 5/5 On explorer's nationalities and Fairy Tales. Only the wife knew 'organza', NHO so learned something again. Fun game well played, go Bill!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
"Blah blah blah German was the second. I know there was a Third Reich, so let's go with Reich."
Pretty much my thought process. I never really knew what the first two reichs were. But the second ended in 1918 and was German, so those were huge hints.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

NHO Reich. Wish this FJ! was later in the season when I had had more AP World History. I had some bad misses because I was tired, but it was OK.

A big thanks to UniquePerspective for posting the youtube URL. Hopefully all of the Thursday episodes will go on YouTube during football season, as I live in the Eastern Time Zone and get J! from a CBS station at 7:30. They will air Thursday's on Friday night and Friday's on Saturday night. Worst of all, they accidentally aired the BoTD finals on Monday and Tuesday instead of the actual games that aired then! :x Shame on them for showing so little regard for boardies, forcing any boardies within their service area (I may be the only one, not sure) to wait a day to discuss the Thursday and Friday shows rather than join right away! All sorts of discrimination laws--and no anti-Boardie discrimination laws? :lol:

Fortunately, I was able to get Monday's on YouTube, but no access to Tuesday's.

EDIT: I finally found Tuesday's episode on YouTube.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

countyguy wrote:NHO Reich.
There are Holocaust deniers, and then there are Holocaust ignorers...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: What led to "diamond" on Gems for $600?
Notable diamonds get names, especially that far back. Attaching names to other gems (sapphire, ruby, emerald) is a more recent trend.

FJ was an insta thanks to this: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... ne-and-two
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Golf

Post by Golf »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thanks for the link. I am used to football replacing J on Fridays here in northeast. Imagine my surprise when we have football today too. I don't understand why they need to have 1hr pregame show? C'mon start at 8 and let us watch J.
Surprisingly got a word category FJ. More Historical though.
Bill you won the game. ..let's ignore your DD wager.
Posting an illegal link on a public forum is a sure way that link will never be useful again. Great job.

This is the NFL, there's always at least a 1 hour pregame show. Just the way it works.

And you should know we ignore nothing here. A poor wager is a poor wager regardless of result.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

goatman wrote: Only the wife knew 'organza', NHO so learned something again.
Oh, gosh. Please edit that. It sounds even more sexist than what you really meant.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you judges. I was sensible enough to guess zero gravity, but not smart enough to know it was the same as weightlessness. I'm always happy to reverse a neg.

Ouch for Carrie and the opening skunk segment. Things got a little better (would have bet $50 she'd get Luke & Laura), but not much during the rest of the game.

Dutch Tasman, Kiwi Hillary, and Sully/Geese would have had me losing a parlay as no way each of those could go 0/3.

Jesse's $1200 DD wager out of $4200 possible in a third box was ridiculous considering what he talked to Alex about during his story. It's early enough in the game that should have been an automatic all in. Yes, being a children's librarian may not overlap with fairy tales, but come on guy. Weak wager.

Bill missed the lock with his $2000 plays twice on DDs. As it turned out it did not matter. Bill has found 6/9 DDs with a wagering range from 1000 to 3000. It will be interesting to see if missing the runaway bumps the bet(s) tomorrow.

Bill: Spinning Globe on J!'s opening? Oh, there are some people on this board for you who must have loved hearing such detailed remembrances.

How about this for an alternate trap clue in Movie Comedies?

He strapped on "Blades of Glory" as Jimmy MacElroy & showed what a skater's body really looks like

I've never seen the movie and would have guessed Will Ferrell once again since I went for it off the movie name alone. I'm not coming up with Jon Heder unless Napoleon is in the wording.

The FJ! clue gave me my first Hammering of the season. I knew it was not triumvirate and I had no other inspiration to make a guess. Seems so easy that it was reich after seeing it. :oops: I'll try to get out with 60% for the week tomorrow.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

jeopfansincebirth wrote: In fact, all CBS stations in the Eastern Time Zone that air Jeopardy! will be preempting the Thursday shows during football season.
This isn't strictly true for at least one station. Here on Cape Cod we get Boston's ch 4 and Providence's ch 12. I usually watch and record the Providence channel, but the Boston channel, perhaps because of the agitating of a Jboard member in past years (whose name I no longer recall), is moving J! to 7 pm (and WoF to the middle of the night) on Thursdays. This week and next week anyway, and I hope it lasts all season. The Saturday rerun game is often/usually taken over by long college football games as well, so to have a first-run game done in by the NFL as well would be just too much for my fragile psyche to take.

I can only be extremely grateful for the accommodation, though I nearly forgot tonight.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Hopefully Bill continues his run! Best categories for me were Born in Beltway and Movie Comedies 4/5. Lach trash: Geese

On FJ I did get it right, guessing "Reich". I haven't looked, but I know there was a recent TD with TV Hangouts, unfortunately, I only got 1/5 on that category.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

ElendilPickle wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:The episode got on YouTube this morning, so I got to see it early. I'll put a spoiler link in here in case you all want to see it early.
Spoiler
Thanks for posting that link.
Hey, I just saw you on Terry Crews Millionaire. Way to go!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, September 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILE

Post by seaborgium »

I got Chicago because of The Straight Dope, but it wasn't from anything Cecil taught me. A Chicagoan wrote asking about plumbing in the (then) Sears Tower (and skyscrapers in general, I suppose), and said something like "I can't imagine the pileup of poop that would splatter all over the Wacker Drive sewer system if the pipes went straight down." A sentence like that sticks with you. (It has to be more than a decade since I last read that sentence, but I just looked up that column, and I got one word wrong in my quote, and left one word off the beginning and two off the end.)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

dexterG wrote:
Hey, I just saw you on Terry Crews Millionaire. Way to go!
Thanks! It was a lot of fun.