Friday, September 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Friday, September 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vermonter »

danspartan wrote:Verizon FIOS On demand (or whatever they call it) is using Saving Mr Banks in its ads currently. The actor's name had a familiar ring. Haven't seen the movie. Fun how random things can help with the clues.
When I filmed my CC, another Tom Hanks movie – Road to Perdition – was featured on the hotel PPV. Didn't pay attention, and it came at the expense of a True DD in the final match.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bill: Have to ask if the month your wife is expecting at the end of is tape month or air month?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:Bill: Have to ask if the month your wife is expecting at the end of is tape month or air month?
As long as we are playing, "Ask Bill" ... Did the powers give any indication that if you had won more games whether you would be in the November 2014 TOC or a 2016 one?
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

dhkendall wrote:Bill: Have to ask if the month your wife is expecting at the end of is tape month or air month?
End of the air month! The contestant coordinators reminded me several times that if Alex asked me about this, I should say that the baby was due "this month" rather than "in September."
JeopardyBill
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyBill »

MarkBarrett wrote:
As long as we are playing, "Ask Bill" ... Did the powers give any indication that if you had won more games whether you would be in the November 2014 TOC or a 2016 one?
ToC was never discussed. I always assumed that if I became eligible, it would be for next year's Tournament.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

JeopardyBill wrote:
End of the air month! The contestant coordinators reminded me several times that if Alex asked me about this, I should say that the baby was due "this month" rather than "in September."

Congrats on your baby! :mrgreen: Oh, boardies outsmarting the show, knowing that it could potentially be the tape date and being misled by knowing that the lie of the shows taping in real time is false.

Also, S&P had to shuffle the boards so that the "31" themed board, this year around 31 flavors, was not until the end of the week. :( However, I think it was awesome that they did that, and I thought that the "Rocky Road" category would have something to do with the Great Depression or otherwise hard economic times. It did not, though.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

Shepherd492 wrote:What exactly was the Viking clue? I remember reading it + the answer and thinking it was completely wrong, but I don't recall exactly what it was. Thanks for the help!.
Vanilla
Change the last letter in the name of a Viking people to get this vanilla adjective

This whole category was ill-conceived and deplorable in its execution. But it is a fact that the Normans were indeed descended from sea-faring Scandinavians, i.e. "north/Norse men", who settled in what would be called the Normandy region of France. Does that make the Normans "Vikings"? Debatable. They clearly spoke French, lived in North Frankia and inundated England with predominantly French cultural elements by way of the Norman Conquest. I posit we'd be having this dialogue in a much different language if the Normans were truly Vikings.

There were too many giant leaps to get from Viking to some random synonym for the non-flavor definition of vanilla. Same with the other clues in the column. This category was a big convoluted bomb.
OldSchoolChamp
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

UiscePreston wrote:This category was a big convoluted bomb.
Like so many nowadays.

We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

David Tomlinson's character was named George Banks. That was also the name of Steve Martin's character in the 1990s Father of the Bride movies.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.