TD 210: Viewer's Choice!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 210: Viewer's Choice!

Post by UniquePerspective »

Ever just have one of those TD's where you wish "Man, I want to rewrite this?" Well, this TD gave you the chance. Awhile back, I posted a poll encouraging people to pick categories and bonus options for this quiz. The results are in, and I have the top 12 categories as well as the bonus options. These are all what you wanted, and it's an interesting field of categories. If your options didn't get picked, sorry, just the way it goes sometimes.

The goal of this TD, like most others, is to get the least common, but also correct response for each question. Correct answers will score one point for each person that said it, including yourself. Incorrect answers will score the value of the most popular correct answer for that particular question (also known as the Sheep), plus 1/3rd of the total entrants. So for example, if the sheep was 10 and 30 people entered, a wrong answer would score 20. You also get two helps, each can be used only once on the quiz. DROP will make one question worth 0. SHEEP will make your score for the question equal to the score of the most popular answer. This time, using SHEEP will not count as a sheep answer. The person with the lowest score at the end of 12 questions is the winner.

Please PM me your answers. No research, looking up, using Google, prying old Learned League questions for help, etc. The answer's gotta come from your own noggin. You will have until 11:59:59 PM Eastern on Sunday, September 28th to submit your answers. Any other questions, please let me know. You can also ask for clarifications at any time.

Questions to come on next post.
UniquePerspective

Re: TD 210: Viewer's Choice!

Some fun facts about the voting:
*Just missing the cut were Science Fiction and Music of the 1990s.
*For awhile, The Louvre was actually in contention. I got scared.
*The least popular category was MLS, followed closely by Final Fantasy and Arabic. Little surprised on Final Fantasy
*Only one category got a clean sweep, in which all 3 options were chosen.
*The only categories that got no representatives at all were video games and art. Womp them.

And now, let's see the winning categories, and what I came up with!

1. World Capital Cities: Name one of the 20 most populated capital cities in the world. Cities must be capitals of countries that are sovereign states that are members of the United Nations.
2. US History: Name any vice president of a US president who served exactly and only one full term (In other words, the president served exactly one 4 year term, no more, no less). I also will not accept Vacant.
3. The Periodic Table: Name any element on the periodic table that associated with an atomic number that is either a perfect square or a perfect cube (or both, if the number fits both categories).
4. Clue: Name either one of the six weapons or the nine rooms in the standard, original, American board game Clue.
5. MLB: Name any MLB pitcher who has thrown a perfect game in the MLB in the last 100 years.
6. The Original Star Wars Trilogy: Name any actor who has a listed credit in all three of the original Star Wars movies (Episodes 4, 5, and 6), according to IMDB.
7. Box Office Succeses: Name the top-grossing domestic movie from any year from 2004-2013. Top grossing movie will be defined as the movie that received the most United States based gross, in dollars, that opened in theatres that year.
8. The Spanish Language: Name one of the whole numbers 11 through 20 in Spanish. I’m not going to be too rough on accents due to various technical issues that could arise.
9. Children’s Literature: Name the author of a book that won the Newbery medal since the year 2000, defined by the year in which the Medal was awarded. If the author is known by a pen name, either the real name or the pen name is acceptable.
10. William Shakespeare: Name a Shakespeare play that features a king as a character. The character must be a king in a literal sense, not a metaphorical, and the title on them be "King" as opposed to any other position of royalty.
11. Music Of The 1960s: Name any solo artist or group that had a Billboard Hot 100 Number One single in 1969, starting with the week of January 4th, 1969. If a solo artist and backing group are listed as the artist, I will need both. If an artist is listed as “x with y”, I only need X.
12. Animated Movies: Name an animated movie that has been nominated for a Best Animated Feature Oscar since the 2011 ceremony. In other words, all animated movies released from 2010-2013 that were nominated. I am looking for the North American title of all films, and full titles of the film please.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
UniquePerspective

Entrants will go here:
gamawire
lieph82
Bamaman
Rackme32
nightreign
Vermonter
dnbguy
TerrHeel
MarkBarrett
brainpower
Ryno
mennoknight
psgola
Peachbox
BlueLion
JoshuaRQI
mitchparov
Magna
dott888
tjconn728
Ivorians
clprez
sillymoose
coolcah36
econgator
ElendilPickle
TheyCallMeMrKid
Tpmorrison
goforthetie
CheezeWhiz
dougforte
Tigershark
Woof
Randy G
Creed Bratton
Peggles
dhkendall
jepkid97
ihavejeoprosy
whatisbishkek
ebottech
Clarifications will now go here:
Question 2: I am looking for the VP.
Question 3: The square or cube root of the Atomic Number must be a whole number, otherwise you'd have to accept every element as an answer.
Question 6: In other words, if the actor is defined on IMDB as uncredited, they will not count. Also, only people credited as actors will count.
Question 10: Because of the dispute in authorship of Henry VIII in particular, I will not accept it.
Question 11: As of Sunday morning on September 21st, I noticed I forgot to include the key element of "Number One" to the singles. It's now been edited. gamawire, lieph82, and Bamaman, since you submitted before I put in this key detail, you can change this answer if you'd like.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
UniquePerspective

Already based on a couple of responses, I would advise you to read Question 2 and my clarification carefully.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

UniquePerspective wrote: 11. Music Of The 1960s: Name any solo artist or group that had a Billboard Hot 100 single in 1969, starting with the week of January 4th, 1969. If a solo artist and backing group are listed as the artist, I will need both. If an artist is listed as “x with y”, I only need X.
How did this category get voted in? .... not that I'm complaining.

Any solo artist or group that appeared on the Billboard Hot 100 at any time in 1969. If I'm reading that correctly, there are a LOT of answers, although granted, a goodly number of them would be pretty obscure today, and placing an answer in exactly 1969 adds some degree of risk. Just checking.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Can the VP have become president later?
UniquePerspective

RandyG wrote: How did this category get voted in? .... not that I'm complaining.

Any solo artist or group that appeared on the Billboard Hot 100 at any time in 1969. If I'm reading that correctly, there are a LOT of answers, although granted, a goodly number of them would be pretty obscure today, and placing an answer in exactly 1969 adds some degree of risk. Just checking.
A lot of people actually liked this category. It intrigued me too. And you also caught a mistake I made when typing it. I specifically am looking for an artist or group that had a number one single according to the hot 100 in 1969. gamawire, lieph82, and Bamaman, if you would like to change your answer to this particular question, you can.
nightreign wrote:Can the VP have become president later?
Yes, as I said as long as they were VP under a president that served exactly one full term.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

UniquePerspective wrote:
RandyG wrote: How did this category get voted in? .... not that I'm complaining.

A lot of people actually liked this category. It intrigued me too. And you also caught a mistake I made when typing it. I specifically am looking for an artist or group that had a number one single according to the hot 100 in 1969.
#1's only.... that makes more sense.

Interesting that you got a lot of positive response to the category. When I took a vote on TD themes a few months back, out of 3 choices given, 1960s music finished a very distant third. Might have been the other options -- general knowledge won out -- or that a whole quiz on the subject was maybe a bit much. Then again, what made me even think to offer it was that a couple of years ago I ran a 1960s music TD, which had a near-record participation rate at the time.

That said, I'm looking forward to running my new TD in a few weeks.... The Cure For Triskaidekaphobia. (Now what could that be about?)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

RandyG wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:

A lot of people actually liked this category. It intrigued me too. And you also caught a mistake I made when typing it. I specifically am looking for an artist or group that had a number one single according to the hot 100 in 1969.

Interesting that you got a lot of positive response to the category. When I took a vote on TD themes a few months back, out of 3 choices given, 1960s music finished a very distant third. Might have been the other options -- general knowledge won out -- or that a whole quiz on the subject was maybe a bit much. Then again, what made me even think to offer it was that a couple of years ago I ran a 1960s music TD, which had a near-record participation rate at the time.

That said, I'm looking forward to running my new TD in a few weeks.... The Cure For Triskaidekaphobia. (Now what could that be about?)
I must have not been back yet when you ran that poll, because I would have totally voted for that theme...the fact that the last time you ran the 1960s game, I probably had my best TD performance ever has no bearing whatsoever... :P
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

barandall800 wrote:
RandyG wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:

I must have not been back yet when you ran that poll, because I would have totally voted for that theme...the fact that the last time you ran the 1960s game, I probably had my best TD performance ever has no bearing whatsoever... :P
I remember perfectly that you crushed about 98% of the competition on that TD and I gave you special props for being so young and doing so well. (That was before we had 14 year old girls winning TDs.)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

RandyG wrote:
barandall800 wrote:
RandyG wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:

I remember perfectly that you crushed about 98% of the competition on that TD and I gave you special props for being so young and doing so well. (That was before we had 14 year old girls winning TDs.)
Or "14 year old girls." :D

GIve me a 2000s music or a vocal jazz TD and I'd...likely embarrass myself in one of my wheelhouses. :lol:
UniquePerspective

Going to bump this.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

What's the definition of "population" you're using for Q1? City limits or metro area?
UniquePerspective

City limits, according to the article.

Also, no entries in awhile. Let's bump.
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

I'm in, but in order to PM I have to post a few times. So this is my courtesy post saying, "Moderators, please allow me to make PMs". :D
UniquePerspective

36 hours or so to go. Every category has at least two unclaimed answers left, so anyone can still win this, get submitting.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thanks for topping this - I thought I'd already entered. :o
UniquePerspective

Last 24 hours or so still to enter. Still many many singletons to be claimed.
UniquePerspective

Few more hours to go.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Are there bonuses or am I missing something?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K