Tuesday, September 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Judges...?

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
countyguy wrote:Late to the party, but do you judges think that "Gulf of California" would be accepted for "Sea of Cortez"? I would guess no because "sea" was in quotes. :(
Sea wasn't in quotes. You're good.
How do you know? It was a video clue.
That makes it a moot point, then. Actually, it just keeps it a moot point. Quotes within a clue are simply TOMs, not requirements to use a word.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote: Well, she certainly has a peel.
But she never was an Avenger.
But the peel was!
A couple of years back when I heard they were going to make The Avengers movie, I wondered who would play Mrs. Peel. :oops:
OCSam
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
countyguy wrote:Late to the party, but do you judges think that "Gulf of California" would be accepted for "Sea of Cortez"? I would guess no because "sea" was in quotes. :(
A video clue, with the question as a caption. Sea wasn't in quotes, but they did ask for "this sea".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Caboom wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
A video clue, with the question as a caption. Sea wasn't in quotes, but they did ask for "this sea".
seaborgium's point was that on the monitor in the studio "sea" might very well have been in quotation marks (video clues are always captioned on the monitors for the players) - since we didn't see that monitor (and neither did the closed captioning person), we'll never know.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
Caboom wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
seaborgium's point was that on the monitor in the studio "sea" might very well have been in quotation marks (video clues are always captioned on the monitors for the players) - since we didn't see that monitor (and neither did the closed captioning person), we'll never know.
They're not talking about closed captions, the text of the clue was actually shown over the video. I would assume that if the contestants saw text in the studio, it would be the same text that we saw at home.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote: Well, she certainly has a peel.
But she never was an Avenger.
But the peel was!
A couple of years back when I heard they were going to make The Avengers movie, I wondered who would play Mrs. Peel. :oops:
Uma Thurman, of course, and not well.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

bomtr wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:A couple of years back when I heard they were going to make The Avengers movie, I wondered who would play Mrs. Peel. :oops:
Uma Thurman, of course, and not well.
Well, not that many years back.

And, Uma, Oprah ... Oprah, Uma. (Or vice versa.)
OCSam