FJs for the 9/22/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 9/22/14 week?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:54 pm

11 movie soundtrack albums by this performer hit the Billboard Top 10, with 4 hitting No. 1
26%
She was born near London; her mother, near Madrid
47%
This metaphor used by Shakespeare & Coleridge to denote an ending is based on a legend that never really happens in nature
9%
In May 1980 over 200 leaders from more than 120 countries attended his funeral in Belgrade
64%
In 1936 at age 79, he published an article in Esquire Magazine in which he described how to pick a jury
62%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
1%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
12%
YOU'VE GOT CHARACTER! $1200: Whenever life gets too mundane, this author's Walter Mitty creates his own fantasy
58%
COMMON PONDS $1200: Manitoba shares Reindeer Lake with this neighbor to the west
62%
WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR? $400: It's the website where Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin announced their separation
17%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was John Williams.
12%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Randy Newman.
11%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Elizabeth I.
26%
I was not even able to manage a guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
63%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Oliver Wendell Holmes.
6%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was William Jennings Bryan.
8%

Total votes: 137

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: FJs for the 9/22/14 week

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

nightreign wrote:I said All's Well that Ends Well on Wednesday, even though I knew it was very, very wrong, just to have something. I suppose that counts as a guess.

Even I've never heard of the website.
Sigh same here to both... Measure for measure popped up briefly (has been mentioned as a 'repetitive word/alliterative title' before) but meh.... lol
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MDaunt wrote:I don't believe that 53% of you know Saskatchewan exists, much less find it on a map.
LOL Saska being squeezed between Alberta & Manitoba is just like Indiana... the skinny state sandwiched between Ohio and Illinois that I always forget to count for mileage when I have to drive across it ("Honey, how far is it? Only 3 more hours ... DOH! What's that sign? > Welcome to INDIANA; "DOH Look Honey! Those clever Canucks put another province here in our way! "...What's it called Dear? ...Sasketoon... I think... sigh, yeah I forgot about that state/province, so, make that 7 more hours plus a potty break..." But in Canada, you measure your trip in days, not hours, lol.

I had no idea where Reindeer Lake is, but in the retrospectometer it's quite a large body straddling the provincial border at north end of "Saskatoba", lol. Reminds me to remind you-all that the largest lake in area entirely within Canada is the Great Bear Lake, so-named by the First Nations peoples for the grizzlies found in abundance there; and the deepest lake in N America is also entirely within Canada, it's the Great Slave Lake, named for the Slavey aboriginal tribe also first found there. At 2k+ feet/614m deep it's about 20m/60ft deeper than Crater Lake, deepest in USA.

Notably, the Great Slave Lake is the headwater for the Mackenzie River, 2nd longest drainage system in N America after the Mississippi basin. NB: B/c it failed to lead to a Northwest passage, it was first known by the moniker, "Disappointment River." (The other rivers to recall are the Columbia, which drains from Lake Columbia in BC, and the St Lawrence, which drains Lake Ontario into the Gulf of St Lawrence.) Both these lakes are in Northwest TerritorieS (NB: Canada's NWT is plural; the former US Northwest Territory, which became OH/IN/IA/WI/MI & part of MN is SINGULAR! Doh!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Tito saves me from the schneid. Williams on Monday, Elizabeth I on Tuesday, felt as if I should have gotten Wednesday but didn't get close. Friday I knew who they were going for but I couldn't pull out the name in 30 seconds. Same with Thurber. I did a report on Saskatchewan in the 5th grade and have always been pretty good with the prairie provinces.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Breakdown of board scores on FJs for the 9/22/14 week

Post by OrangeSAM »

After 128 respondents:

:mrgreen: 2 got all 5 FJ!s
;) 10 got 4 FJ!s
:) 42 got 3 FJ!s
:( 32 got 2 FJ!s
:oops: 26 got 1 FJ!
:eek: 16 got 0 FJ!s

Average: 2.08 FJ!s correct.