FJs for the 9/22/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 9/22/14 week?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:54 pm

11 movie soundtrack albums by this performer hit the Billboard Top 10, with 4 hitting No. 1
26%
She was born near London; her mother, near Madrid
47%
This metaphor used by Shakespeare & Coleridge to denote an ending is based on a legend that never really happens in nature
9%
In May 1980 over 200 leaders from more than 120 countries attended his funeral in Belgrade
64%
In 1936 at age 79, he published an article in Esquire Magazine in which he described how to pick a jury
62%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
1%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
12%
YOU'VE GOT CHARACTER! $1200: Whenever life gets too mundane, this author's Walter Mitty creates his own fantasy
58%
COMMON PONDS $1200: Manitoba shares Reindeer Lake with this neighbor to the west
62%
WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR? $400: It's the website where Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin announced their separation
17%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was John Williams.
12%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Randy Newman.
11%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Elizabeth I.
26%
I was not even able to manage a guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
63%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Oliver Wendell Holmes.
6%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was William Jennings Bryan.
8%

Total votes: 137

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/22/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BILLBOARD ALBUM CHARTS

9/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
11 movie soundtrack albums by this performer hit the Billboard Top 10, with 4 hitting No. 1

9/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENGLISH MONARCHS

9/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She was born near London; her mother, near Madrid

9/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ALLITERATION

9/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This metaphor used by Shakespeare & Coleridge to denote an ending is based on a legend that never really happens in nature

9/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY LEADERS

9/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In May 1980 over 200 leaders from more than 120 countries attended his funeral in Belgrade

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS AMERICANS

9/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1936 at age 79, he published an article in Esquire Magazine in which he described how to pick a jury

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Elvis Presley
"Bloody" Mary Tudor
swan song
Tito
Clarence Darrow
The players were 6/14 (42.86%) with a 1-1-0-1-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper, one rebounded correctly and a requested triple stumper.

YOU'VE GOT CHARACTER! $1200: Whenever life gets too mundane, this author's Walter Mitty creates his own fantasy

COMMON PONDS $1200: Manitoba shares Reindeer Lake with this neighbor to the west

WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR? $400: It's the website where Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin announced their separation

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
James Thurber
Saskatchewan
Goop.com
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/22/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Ann Boleyn :oops:
Last Licks
You'd think by now I would know the order of the prairie provinces. :roll:
I agree that Goop was tough for first box.
jgamer
Valued Contributor

Post by jgamer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Mon: Elvis Presley was a lucky guess.
Tue: I got Mary I by thinking: the daughter of Catherine of Aragon.
Wed: Swan song never crossed my mind.
Thu: I remember when Tito was living and in the news.
Fri: I rejected Clarence Darrow. I thought he was younger than the clue indicated.
I got 155 clues right and 24 clues wrong for the week.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

It's a pretty scary clue when "I didn't even have a guess" is polling higher than all but one of the FJ's, even if it is still a very small sample size.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Worst
Week
EVER
All I got to check was no guess for Wednesday and WJB.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Should have gotten Tues, talked myself out of it...Not a fan of Wed's clue.
Clammed on Alberta...heard of goop, would not have come up with it, went with Facebook because it was a first row clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:It's a pretty scary clue when "I didn't even have a guess" is polling higher than all but one of the FJ's, even if it is still a very small sample size.
At the moment, it's polling higher than all of the clues!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:You'd think by now I would know the order of the prairie provinces. :roll:
I just imagine a 14-year-old Canadian chatting on the old AOL Instant Messenger.

Except instead of asking A/S/L, he asks, "A/S/M?"

Dumb as hell but that makes it all the more memorable.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess on Monday or Wednesday. Briefly considered Elvis on Monday, but dismissed him as not being in enough movies to make the number of soundtracks cited.

Knew they were looking for Paltrow's lifestyle website for the extra question, but drew a blank on the name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

No guess
Holmes

For the season: 5-5
Longest winning streak: 2
Longest losing streak: 2

5/5: 0
4/5: 0
3/5: 1
2/5 :1
1/5: 0
0/5: 0

I checked no guess for swan song, even though I did write down secret storm, since that really wasn't a guess but just an alliteration I put down.

Elvis and Mary I were close to instagets and Tito was an instaget. If they had not given his age, I'd have stayed with Darrow, but changed to Holmes.

I wish we had a "Darrow was that old?" box, it would have outgained swan song.

I had never heard of that website.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I said All's Well that Ends Well on Wednesday, even though I knew it was very, very wrong, just to have something. I suppose that counts as a guess.

Even I've never heard of the website.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was distracted Monday by the blockbuster that was The Bodyguard's soundtrack, and said Whitney Houston, justifying it with the idea that maybe she did soundtracks besides those for movies that starred her.

Wednesday I pressed pause at the end of the Think music and thought for a few minutes, never coming up with anything. I had the vague sense a bird woild be involved ("sniper" flashback?), but couldn't get any further.

Friday I guessed Taft pretty quickly, had some faint glimmer of the Scopes trial, but stuck with Taft, who was born early enough for the clue, but died early enough to not be possible.

No luck on Goop or Canadian geography.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Monday: Who is Barbra Streisand? I considered Williams, but a) I don't think classical soundtracks sell that well and b) "performer" led me away. If I'd thought back to the 50s/60s, I might have come up with Elvis.
Tuesday: Who is Mary I? Took me a second to sort which queen was whose daughter, but otherwise easy.
Wednesday: Not a clue.
Thursday: Who is John Paul I? out of desperation.
Friday: Who is W.J. Bryan? I knew who it was going for, but Clyde Barrow was still on my mind from earlier, so it went: "Who is Clyde Barrow? No. Clarence? Clarence Barrow? Still doesn't sound right. Clarence... Thomas? No. ...William Jennings Bryan? I don't think so, but better than nothing..."
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Plactus wrote:
Monday: Who is Barbra Streisand? I considered Williams, but a) I don't think classical soundtracks sell that well and b) "performer" led me away. If I'd thought back to the 50s/60s, I might have come up with Elvis.
On the topic of Barbra Streisand it was all over the news this week that she became the first act to have a #1 album in the six decades 1960s - 2010s. The writers will serve that up at some point. Those who read this and remember it will get it right. Those that do not will probably guess The Bee Gees or Elton John? Rolling Stones?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote: On the topic of Barbra Streisand it was all over the news this week that she became the first act to have a #1 album in the six decades 1960s - 2010s. The writers will serve that up at some point. Those who read this and remember it will get it right. Those that do not will probably guess The Bee Gees or Elton John? Rolling Stones?
I might have guessed Cher.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Elizabeth I on Tuesday. Technically I had a guess for Wednesday, but I knew there was a 0% chance of it being right, and instantly forgot it. Thursday was a facepalmer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
On the topic of Barbra Streisand it was all over the news this week that she became the first act to have a #1 album in the six decades 1960s - 2010s. The writers will serve that up at some point. Those who read this and remember it will get it right. Those that do not will probably guess The Bee Gees or Elton John? Rolling Stones?

Clip and save.

I doubt I'd get that one. They'd probably specify it is an individual, so that eliminates the Stones. But I'd be grasping at straws after that.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Clip and save.

I doubt I'd get that one. They'd probably specify it is an individual, so that eliminates the Stones. But I'd be grasping at straws after that.
See here.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

StevenH wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: On the topic of Barbra Streisand it was all over the news this week that she became the first act to have a #1 album in the six decades 1960s - 2010s. The writers will serve that up at some point. Those who read this and remember it will get it right. Those that do not will probably guess The Bee Gees or Elton John? Rolling Stones?
I might have guessed Cher.
Related but off topic, there are only 3 artists (solo artists, incidentally) to have Top 40 singles in the 1980s, 1990s, 20-oughts, and 2010s. Probably too obscure for FJ though.