Season 28 airdates

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Season 28 airdates

Post by legendneverdies »

lsfla wrote:The teen tournament is now going to be aired in May? Does that mean the taping date in December has been delayed as well?
The Teen Tournament and the DC Power PLayers week(second week of Teen and the Power PLayers week will be taped in DC), probably will be taped in APril. I don't know if it will affect other taping dates. Although the last regular games of the season are usually taped in March, who knows if they're back on track after ALex's injury caused some tapings to be delayed.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

lsfla wrote:The teen tournament is now going to be aired in May? Does that mean the taping date in December has been delayed as well?
From the Jeopardy! website:
If you have been waiting to hear whether your teen has been selected to compete in the upcoming Teen Tournament, there has been a change in tournament plans. Invitations to the tournament, which were originally scheduled to go out in November, 2011, will now be delayed until late January/early February 2012. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and will post more information and updates as they become available.
-- The Jeopardy! Contestant Team
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

legendneverdies wrote:As per a post on Invision:

TOC airdates not given, but no tourneys are listed in that post for November sweeps, so perhaps it will be in November(Alex said after the College TOurney final rerun in a pre-taped bit that Erin would be returning for the TofC this Fall)
College-Wed Feb 1-Tue Feb 14 2012
Teacher-Wed Feb 15-Tue Feb 28 2012
Teen-Mon Apr 30-Fri May 11 2012(week two from Washington DC)
DC POwer PLayers-Mon May 14-Fri May 18 2012
Kids' week-Mon July 30-Fri August 3 2012(season finale week)
OK, I debated on starting a new thread or asking this question in Friday's game thread, but then after digging up this old thread I decided to ask it here. Does anyone know anywhere on the official Jeopardy! website, or maybe somewhere else like their Facebook or Twitter page, where they have the season schedule with the tournament dates listed?

This list was posted way back in September, and it has the College Tournament starting this Wednesday, Feb. 1, but the program guide on my cable box seems to indicate that the College Tournament starts Monday. (tomorrow) I can't find any reference on jeopardy.com to the College Tournament, and you would think that if it was starting tomorrow there would be some mention of it. Last week's contestants are still pictured on the main page, but I very rarely visit the site so maybe this is standard practice and the new week's contestants don't generally appear until Monday. Of course they seem to constantly be having all kinds of problems with their website, such as the recent early closure of registration for the Online Test, and then the announcement that the College/Teen Online Tests would be delayed indefinitely.

So I guess I am wondering if any other people' cable boxes agree with mine, and if the College Tournament really is going to start tomorrow. I wonder if we all just forgot and/or didn't notice that February was coming up, because it's hard to believe that not one person mentioned in Friday's game thread that we wouldn't be seeing the defending champion for the next 4 weeks, that is if they really are having the College and Teachers' Tournaments back to back, as indicated on the schedule posted back in September, and if they at some point decided to give both the traditional Monday start day instead of Wednesday.

I personally appear to have dodged a major bullet, as Indianapolis's WTHR channel 13 is going to be running Super Bowl countdown specials all this week at 7:30 each night, but according to the guide they are going to be airing Jeopardy! at 7:00 in Wheel of Fortune's usual spot. I can't find WOF anywhere on the schedule, not even at 4:00 in the morning or on their digital subchannel, which is a near 24-hour weather channel. Losing WOF doesn't bother me personally, as I don't usually watch it, but as a daily Jeopardy! watcher it offends me that they would just kick a show like that off their schedule and not even find 30 minutes anywhere in their 24-hour broadcast day to run it for those loyal viewers who would like to wach it or DVR it at an unusual time. I'm pretty sure that nationally WOF tends to get higher ratings than Jeopardy, so I wonder why they chose to make this switch. Maybe in Indy J! gets the higher ratings, or maybe since the College Tournament is starting they expect it draw higher ratings this week than Wheel generally does. Maybe J! viewers tend to get more upset about pre-emptions and they would have to deal with a a lot more unpleasant calls, letters, and telegrams than they would from Wheel viewers? Or maybe they just flipped a coin and it went my way?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-tele ... 509&shared

OK, after a little more research, I did find articles on several websites that appear to come from an official Jeopardy! press release, linked above. It lists all 15 players for the College tournament and does say that it will air from Feb. 1 to Feb. 14. I checked some of the online television listing sites, and some say that Monday's episode is the College Tournament, while some have no episode description. zap2it does have Wednesday's episode as part of the College Tournament but not Monday or Tuesday's, so I am now guessing that the tournament will indeed start on Wednesday and some of the listing sites and cable providers just got the dates mixed up.

As for WTHR, their website's program guide does have Wheel of Fortune airing at 7:30 on their secondary channel, while Jeopardy! is airing on the primary channel at 7:00. The swap in timeslots seems unusual to me, but I assume that must have been a strictly ratings decision. It still would be nice if they got the programming changes to the local cable providers, because if WOF isn't listed in program guides, how many people would actually think to look at the wrong channel in the wrong time slot for their show? I guess they could run a crawl at 7:00 as Jeopardy is beginning alerting viewers to when and where Wheel will be airing, but that won't help people who have their DVR set to tape the show every night.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The teaser on the Sony Jeopardy site this week only talks about the College tourney. It begins on Wed 2/1 as there are five regular players seen on the Show guide/this week page, meaning that neither of the regular games this week were spoiled.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

legendneverdies wrote:The teaser on the Sony Jeopardy site this week only talks about the College tourney. It begins on Wed 2/1 as there are five regular players seen on the Show guide/this week page, meaning that neither of the regular games this week were spoiled.
Do you know why they're doing Wed-Tues tourneys now? Why not just two Mon-Fri weeks?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:The teaser on the Sony Jeopardy site this week only talks about the College tourney. It begins on Wed 2/1 as there are five regular players seen on the Show guide/this week page, meaning that neither of the regular games this week were spoiled.
Do you know why they're doing Wed-Tues tourneys now? Why not just two Mon-Fri weeks?
I don't know. But I don't like it.

(But, of course, I don't not like it enough to stop watching.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote:Do you know why they're doing Wed-Tues tourneys now? Why not just two Mon-Fri weeks?
To allow an extra weekend of hype before the finals? Because they found out fewer people watch the show on Fridays? Something odd having to do with when the official sweeps periods are?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw an ad today plugging the college tournament. I'm surprised Alex has not mentioned it is starting Wednesday.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I saw an ad today plugging the college tournament. I'm surprised Alex has not mentioned it is starting Wednesday.
I've noticed for the last few seasons he usually doesn't plug an upcoming tournament until the (air) day before. So he won't mention it until tomorrow's (Tuesday's) game.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:...So he won't mention it until tomorrow's (Tuesday's) game.
Yeah. I figure that's a pretty safe bet.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This may be why they switched the schedule for tournaments - if Alex reminds you to watch the tournament on Friday, you may forget by Monday (especially considering the advanced age of the average J! viewer). But if he reminds you on Tuesday, there's an outside chance you'll remember by Wednesday.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:This may be why they switched the schedule for tournaments - if Alex reminds you to watch the tournament on Friday, you may forget by Monday (especially considering the advanced age of the average J! viewer). But if he reminds you on Tuesday, there's an outside chance you'll remember by Wednesday.
Yeah, but, aren't you already watching anyway?

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:This may be why they switched the schedule for tournaments - if Alex reminds you to watch the tournament on Friday, you may forget by Monday (especially considering the advanced age of the average J! viewer). But if he reminds you on Tuesday, there's an outside chance you'll remember by Wednesday.

Brian
I am, you are, pretty much everyone on this board is, but most of the people I run in to who watch the show are only casual viewers.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I am, you are, pretty much everyone on this board is, but most of the people I run in to who watch the show are only casual viewers.
The people I run into, for the most part, are either avid (some would say rabid) fans who seldom miss the show, or don't watch it at all, preferring to thumb their noses at us trivia geeks.

The only genre of show I see more religious adherence to is soap operas. UGH!

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I wonder how much variance there is in daily Jeopardy viewing, meaning how many fewer people watch on Friday vs any other day of the week. There is a weekly list of the 25 highest rated syndicated television shows, but it is always ranked by weekly average. I assume that the syndicators themselves have access to information about how many people watch on each night, but I don't know if that information is ever published. I went to zap2it and looked at the weekly syndicated rankings over the past 12 weeks, comparing Wheel of Fortune's ratings to Jeopardy's, and they really seem to correlate pretty well, meaning the weeks Wheel goes up, J! goes up too, and likewise they both go down in the same weeks. Just looking at those ratings, it's hard to tell if the November Tournament of Champions had any impact on Jeopardy's ratings at all. I don't know if Wheel had any special programming at the same time that J! was airing their TOC, but it's possible.

The ratings for the first 3 weeks of November were higher than for all of October, but by about the same percentage as Wheel's ratings were up, and I would guess that the increase is mostly accounted for by the changing weather, as fewer people would be outdoors during the 7-8 PM hour when the shows air in most markets. The ratings for the first 3 weeks of November were roughly equal with the first 2 weeks of December. Both shows had big drops in the 4th week of November, as obviously a lot of people would miss the show while traveling to Thanksgiving activities and such. The final weeks of December had a smaller yet still substantial dip, as various holiday activities dip into the ratings of pretty much all television shows. The ratings for the first 3 weeks of January are the highest I've seen in the past 4 months, which is to be expected. I would assume that both Wheel and J! get their highest ratings of the year between January and March when very few people will ever be outdoors during the shows' timeslots.
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

jeff6286 wrote:I wonder how much variance there is in daily Jeopardy viewing, meaning how many fewer people watch on Friday vs any other day of the week.
I've wondered this myself, especially with DVR which makes time-shifting much easier than VCRs do/did. I know for me, my schedule with classes is such that I frequently miss J!'s airing at 7:30pm. So I typically watch only twice a week: Wednesdays (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday's shows) and Saturdays (Thursday and Friday's shows). My guess would be that much of the J! audience watches fairly regularly (I contemplated using the word "religiously" there but that's probably a bit too strong) so if there is a variance day-to-day, I can't imagine it's that significant.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
alamble

Post by alamble »

trainman wrote:
econgator wrote:Do you know why they're doing Wed-Tues tourneys now? Why not just two Mon-Fri weeks?
To allow an extra weekend of hype before the finals? Because they found out fewer people watch the show on Fridays? Something odd having to do with when the official sweeps periods are?
Sweeps periods always start on Thursdays. That being said, the winter period kicks off this Thursday.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

alamble wrote:
trainman wrote:
Sweeps periods always start on Thursdays. That being said, the winter period kicks off this Thursday.
Yeah, I figured it had to do with it being February 1, and February being a sweeps month. (Same with the ToC last November. though they started the 2nd, i think. hmm...)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jeff6286 wrote:I assume that the syndicators themselves have access to information about how many people watch on each night, but I don't know if that information is ever published.
It is published, but not for public consumption -- only to those who have subscriptions to the Nielsen data. (Most TV stations get the complete data for their local market, so they would be able to look up at least the local J! trends, should they have the mind to.)