Thursday, October 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, October 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mrsal67 »

The question had to be created by a nonsports person. Blatt was not a newsmaker as far as the NBA was concerned. I listen to 1-3 hours of sports radio a day in my commute and his hiring barely made a blip at the time.
The important coaching changes were Jason Kidd, Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher and arguably Stan Van Gundy.
How was anyone outside of Cleveland going to remember the name of a person that has never played or coached in the NBA.

I believe that at sometime in June one of the question writers looked in the paper (okay probably online since no one reads the paper anymore) and saw articles about the two Davids and thought it was interesting that their names were so similar. What may have seemed like a relevant question in June comes across as extremely obscure in October.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Cantor election was June 10 and the coach was hired June 20. I agree someone ran across the names and thought it would be a fun clue.

Had the Cavs hired Pat Riley and the politician been named Pat Wiley, it might have been a decent FJ. But the guy has never worked a day in his life for an NBA team. The Cavs big news was signing James. Nobody cared about a coach nobody had ever heard of before.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

mrsal67 wrote:The question had to be created by a nonsports person. Blatt was not a newsmaker as far as the NBA was concerned. I listen to 1-3 hours of sports radio a day in my commute and his hiring barely made a blip at the time.
The important coaching changes were Jason Kidd, Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher and arguably Stan Van Gundy.
How was anyone outside of Cleveland going to remember the name of a person that has never played or coached in the NBA.

I believe that at sometime in June one of the question writers looked in the paper (okay probably online since no one reads the paper anymore) and saw articles about the two Davids and thought it was interesting that their names were so similar. What may have seemed like a relevant question in June comes across as extremely obscure in October.
The Blatt hire was widely commended as unorthodox but brilliant at the time, and once Lebron announced he was coming home, the hire was reanalyzed in the media with the same conclusion.

Blatt's also a superstar internationally, particularly in Israel. There were waves when Maccabi Tel Aviv won Euroleage in May and tens of thousands of anti-Semitic messages were posted on Twitter. His name was prominent then too.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote:Look at me! I'm a contestant on Jeopardy! A chance very few will ever get! And just to piss them off I'm not going to try to win! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
But she's still undefeated at her house.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:The Cantor election was June 10 and the coach was hired June 20. I agree someone ran across the names and thought it would be a fun clue.
Someone was wrong.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Just how many times do they have to ask questions about the Swamp Fox (Francis Marion) before contestants get him?
I don't know about the contestants, but for me it's going to take at least one more.

Maybe it's because I now live in the area where he foxed around...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnblue wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Just how many times do they have to ask questions about the Swamp Fox (Francis Marion) before contestants get him?
I don't know about the contestants, but for me it's going to take at least one more.

Maybe it's because I now live in the area where he foxed around...
What does the Swamp Fox say?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
mrparadise wrote:
seaborgium wrote:New strategy: when I have to come up with a name from recent current events (oxymoron?), try to recall if there was a pub quiz team name about the story. Had I done this, I might have remembered the joke about Brat + Cantor = ruined bar mitzvah, and been halfway to being correct, with a random guess on how to change Brat to get another last name.

More like a tautology.
The first rule of Tautology Club is the first rule of Tautology Club.
The second rule of Tautology Club is the second rule.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I feel embarrassed that David Brat passed from my memory so quickly. It might be because he has been rarely mentioned in the media since the election. He is not yet actually serving in Congress, so he has faded from prominence. I wonder if he would have been still in my memory bank a few weeks ago when this was taped.

David Blatt - no chance.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I would not put it past the writers to work out a way to word this news item although I can't. The heirs of John Wayne have been having legal squabbles with Duke University over rights to "Duke." http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... l-25906212
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Who would be an equivalent baseball manager, fame-wise, to David Blatt?

Brad Ausmus?
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

lieph82 wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:The question had to be created by a nonsports person. Blatt was not a newsmaker as far as the NBA was concerned. I listen to 1-3 hours of sports radio a day in my commute and his hiring barely made a blip at the time.

The Blatt hire was widely commended as unorthodox but brilliant at the time, and once Lebron announced he was coming home, the hire was reanalyzed in the media with the same conclusion.

Blatt's also a superstar internationally, particularly in Israel. There were waves when Maccabi Tel Aviv won Euroleage in May and tens of thousands of anti-Semitic messages were posted on Twitter. His name was prominent then too.
I presume you live in the Ohio area and thus it was a big story.
David Blatt's hiring was never mentioned in the network national news like Lebron's re-signing with was covered.
By the way, when I say I listen to 1-3 hours of sports, I am talking national/ESPN. If you were to ask any of their hosts today who the coach of the Cavs is the would probably take at least 10 seconds to answer, if they remembered at all.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

mrsal67 wrote:
lieph82 wrote:

David Blatt's hiring was never mentioned in the network national news like Lebron's re-signing with was covered.
By the way, when I say I listen to 1-3 hours of sports, I am talking national/ESPN. If you were to ask any of their hosts today who the coach of the Cavs is the would probably take at least 10 seconds to answer, if they remembered at all.
I live in New York half the year and Israel the other half.

Of course Blatt's hiring wasn't covered like Lebron's signing was. Nothing in sports news was covered like Lebron's signing was. That doesn't mean it wasn't covered and it doesn't mean it wasn't extensively analyzed.

I don't buy your point about ESPN hosts. When Lebron signed with the Cavs, there was plenty of national discussion about what the nature of their relationship would be. Here's a BR national piece by Ric Bucher, who worked for ESPN and now hosts a sports talk show in CA: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2164 ... avid-blatt. The piece was written about a month and a half ago.

That's not to say this question wasn't unusually obscure, but if you're an NBA fan, you should be able to come up with Blatt's name.
Last edited by lieph82 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I would not put it past the writers to work out a way to word this news item although I can't. The heirs of John Wayne have been having legal squabbles with Duke University over rights to "Duke." http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... l-25906212
Here is my what I came up with(after reading the name of the heirs business).

This business entity represents the heirs of a star of western movies, although it sounds like it funds the crime fighting efforts of Gotham City's Caped Crusader.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

lieph82 I live in New York half the year and Israel the other half.

Of course Blatt's hiring wasn't covered like Lebron's signing was. Nothing in sports news was covered like Lebron's signing was. That doesn't mean it wasn't covered and it doesn't mean it wasn't extensively analyzed.

I don't buy your point about ESPN hosts. When Lebron signed with the Cavs, there was plenty of national discussion about what the nature of their relationship would be. Here's a BR national piece by Ric Bucher, who worked for ESPN and now hosts a sports talk show in CA: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2164 ... avid-blatt. The piece was written about a month and a half ago.

That's not to say this question wasn't unusually obscure, but if you're an NBA fan, you should be able to come up with Blatt's name
If I read his bio correctly, David Blatt is essentially the Pat Riley or Phil Jackson of Israel. Of course someone who spends half their time there would know his name. Also the piece you cite is a SPORTS article, not a national (prime time ABC,NBC, CBS or even CNN) article or story.

As for your challenge to NBA fans, I want to know if (before this FJ was asked and this discussion was entered into) you were able to name the new head coaches of the Knicks and Nets within 30 seconds.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

mrsal67 wrote:
If I read his bio correctly, David Blatt is essentially the Pat Riley or Phil Jackson of Israel. Of course someone who spends half their time there would know his name.

As for your challenge to NBA fans, I want to know if (before this FJ was asked and this discussion was entered into) you were able to name the new head coaches of the Knicks and Nets.
How I personally know David Blatt's name is not really the point here; my point is that an NBA fan should know his name, and I gave reasons why that have nothing to do with living in Israel.

I don't think Austin Powers lives in Israel, and he "follows basketball enough that [he] was able to work it out."

The Knicks hired Derek Fisher (though Phil Jackson was the bigger hire for them) and the Nets hired Lionel Hollins after the Jason Kidd debacle. Obviously, those names are bigger NBA names than Blatt's, and they made for bigger stories. It doesn't mean that Blatt's hire wasn't a story at all.

But...I wouldn't be able to name the new coach for the Jazz in under ten seconds, so maybe that's a better example.
mrsal67 wrote:Also the piece you cite is a SPORTS article, not a national (prime time ABC,NBC, CBS or even CNN) article or story.
This is a really strange aside, but I'll address it. I said it was a "BR national piece." Bleacher Report separates its articles into national pieces and regional pieces. This one was national, written by a lead national writer, not an Ohio journalist.
Leander

Post by Leander »

mrsal67 wrote:
lieph82 wrote:

I definitely remember at least one long story about Blatt and his background in the NY media. I remember it clearly, now prompted by the question. Having said that, no way was i going to remember him in the off season, this long since his hiring.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rmfromfla wrote:Ok, off top of my head, adding to NBA coaches list:

Scott Brooks -- Thunder
Rick Carlisle -- Mavericks
Jacque Vaughn -- Magic
Tom Thibodeaux -- Bulls
Frank Vogel -- Pacers
Derek Fisher (new) -- Knicks
Jason Kidd -- Bucks (involved in that "trade" from Brooklyn late last season)
John Wooden -- not an NBA coach (unless it was before his UCLA days)
What about that guy who was known for having tantrums and throwing chairs? I think he was Pacers (or another Indiana team), or was that college ball? (And no I don't remember his name, I think it's known around here that sports trivia isn't my thing ([looking right at TPH]though I at least make an effort to try and learn[/looking right at TPH]) but I know *of* him.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You are thinking of Bobby Knight, a college coach at Indiana University.

I have never heard anyone consider Bleacher Report a home of high quality sports journalism.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Bamaman wrote:You are thinking of Bobby Knight, a college coach at Indiana University.

I have never heard anyone consider Bleacher Report a home of high quality sports journalism.
If you only look at high quality sports journalism for your sports news, then you haven't read a sports article in the past fifteen years. It's all crap now; I'm not highbrow in picking out flavors of crap.

NBC sports did a story on Blatt today. This obviously couldn't have helped anyone out with the clue, but my only point is that he's not a nobody and his name is out there, especially if you're an NBA fan.