Friday, October 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6910, 2014-10-03

CONTESTANTS
Dan Ford, an engineer from Cincinatti, Ohio
Sam Barker, a labor relations analyst from Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Shawn Choe, an attorney from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $7,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Okay, thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, good to have you with us today.
Mostly, this week, an exciting week, we've had big paydays for our champions, except for yesterday, when no one was able to come up with a correct response in Final Jeopardy! But Shawn still had enough money to become champion, and today he defends against Sam and Dan.
Welcome. Good luck.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOLIDAY (3/5)
MASSACHUSETTS (3/5)
NIGHTS ON BROADWAY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU SHOULD BE DANCING (5/5)
STAYIN' ALIVE (3/3)
THE "B.G."'s (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 11 R (including 4 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 7 R, 2 W
Shawn: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Shawn was in the hole with -$400, Sam had $200, and Dan was at $1,400. Dan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

NIGHTS ON BROADWAY $600: Mandy Patinkin was the first to play artist Georges Seurat when this musical opened in 1984
(Dan: What is Sundays In The Park With George?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $2,200
Sam: $1,000
Shawn: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dan Ford is an engineer who designs jet engines, but I want to hear about your parakeet.
Dan: [ laughs ]
Alex: That's a special bird. What does it do?
Dan: Yeah, well --
Alex: Can't talk?
Dan: He thinks he can talk, but he can't really say words in English or anything. All it really does most of the time is sound like R2-D2, this kind of squeaking noise, this kind of like... [ squeaks ] noise throughout our house. So, yeah...
Alex: So you guys talk like R2-D2.
Dan: Yes, that could be the case.
Alex: I'm a little worried about you, Dan.

Alex: Sam Barker is a labor relations analyst rfrom Pennsylvania who has just retired from the Air Force Reserves.
Sam: Yes, sir.
Alex: And you did three tours abroad?
Sam: Yes, sir, twice to Kuwait and once to Afghanistan.
Alex: Sent your wife a lovely little special message from Afghanistan, I understand.
Sam: Yes, sir, the U.S.O. allowed the members over there to tape DVDs and send them back to their families.
Alex: Yeah, but you didn't just tape a DVD. You sang a song.
Sam: Well, yes --fortunately I won't be singing here for the audience. Or we'd clear the studio, probably.
Alex: Okay. She loved it. The U.S.O. Is a good organization, as you know.

Alex: Shawn Choe is our champion. He's part of a competitive karaoke league?
Shawn: Well, not anymore. Right after law school, some friends of mine and I joined, and we --there's a regular season and a playoff, and we came in sixth seed after the regular season but beat the number three, number two, and number one seeds to win the championship.
Alex: Hello, way to go. How many on your team?
Shawn: There were six, but then we retired as champs.
Alex: Uh-huh. What do you get as champs?
Shawn: Just the bragging rights.
[ laughter ]
Shawn: Come on! Nothing wrong with that.
Alex: Pikers.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NIGHTS ON BROADWAY $1000: A con man claims to be the son of Sidney Poitier in this play that opened on Broadway in 1990
(Alex: You hear this expression a lot. [*].)

HOLIDAY $600: In Australia, Eight Hours Day was the original name of this holiday
(Shawn: What is the Winter Solstice?)

HOLIDAY $1000: This Canadian provinces Islander Day in February gives everyone a holiday between Christmas & Easter
(Alex: Islander? [*].)
[less than a minute to go]

MASSACHUSETTS $600: It's the present-day name of the Mass. city where John Hancock & other famous Johns were born

MASSACHUSETTS $1000: "Time And The Town" is a classic chronicle of life in this Massachusetts beach getaway known as PTown
[end-of-round signal sounds]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $4,800
Sam: $2,400
Shawn: -$1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT'S NATIONALLY EPIC! (4/5)
VOCABULARY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE 20th CENTURY (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"D" IN SCIENCE (5/5)
LEGAL MATTERS (5/5)
CINEMA ZOO (2/5) Ale: And finally, we want you to name the movie with an animal in the title in [*].

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Shawn: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 7 R, 0 W
Dan: 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Shawn had $9,400, Sam had $6,800, and Dan was at $6,400. Dan wagered $2,000.

VOCABULARY $1200: The name of this great grandson of Noah can mean an idiot or a great hunter
(Dan: Nope, no idea)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Shawn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Shawn had $10,600, Sam had $9,600, and Dan was at $6,400. Shawn wagered $600.

THE 20th CENTURY $1600: On April 3, 1968 he said, "So I'm happy tonight, I'm not worried about anything, I'm not fearing any man"
(Shawn: Who is Robert Kennedy?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THAT'S NATIONALLY EPIC! $1200: Sha Na Na came out of NYC in the 1960s; "The Shahnama" of 1000 A.D. is an epic from this current country

CINEMA ZOO $1200: 2007, with Tim Allen & John Travolta
(Dan: What is Old Dogs?)

CINEMA ZOO $1600: 2009, starring George Clooney (1 of 2)

CINEMA ZOO $2000: 1988, starring Sigourney Weaver

VOCABULARY $1600: The French for another European country gives us this name of a soft napped leather
(Alex: [*] is the French for Sweden.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Shawn: $10,000
Sam: $9,600
Dan: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV IN THE 2000s

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Shawn: Wager $9,201 to cover Sam.
Sam: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Dan, hoping that you give the correct response and Shawn doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $3,201 to cover Dan's doubled score, but no more than $8,800 if you want to top Shawn on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,199 and win if both Shawn and Dan miss Final.
Dan: If you think Sam is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $0 to beat Shawn and Sam on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Sam is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,201 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Sam) and $6,400 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A key scene of this sitcom's 2014 finale after 9 seasons was actually filmed in season 2

FINAL SCORES
Dan: $6,400 + $4,000 = $10,400 (What is How I Met Your Mother) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sam: $9,600 - $3,201 = $6,399 (What is The Family Guy?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Shawn: $10,000 + $9,200 = $19,200 (What is How I Met Your Mother?) (2-day champion: $26,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Shawn: $10,600, 13 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Dan: $9,800, 17 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Sam: $9,600, 14 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 18/60 = .300
Sam: 14/58 = .241
Shawn: 14/59 = .237
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NIGHTS ON BROADWAY $200: 2010 saw the first Broadway revival of this play about Helen Keller & her teacher Annie Sullivan
(Alex: That's the play!)

THE "B.G."'s $600: In 2013 one of these worn by Jackie Robinson, possibly in the 1955 & '57 World Series, sold for $373,002 at auction
(Shawn: What is a batting glove?)
(Alex: Batting glove and [*] are different.)

THE "B.G."'s $1000: This colorful Kentucky city made Forbes' list of the 25 best places to retire in 2014
(Shawn: What is Bluegrass?)

YOU SHOULD BE DANCING $600: Making sudden turns and striking dramatic poses are elements of this dance

YOU SHOULD BE DANCING $800: The name of this dance is Spanish for "double step";
the name of this dance...
(Sam: What is paso dobles?)
(Alex: [*], yes. Sam, you threw an "S" in there and it cost you.)

HOLIDAY $200: By around 1920 Alvan Fuller, a dealer of these, was using Presidents' Day as an excuse for a sale
(Dan: What are mattresses?)
(Sam: What are brushes?)

MASSACHUSETTS $400: It's the river seen here, complete with the familiar rowers

MASSACHUSETTS $800: The first African-American governor of Massachusetts, he took office in 2007
(Shawn: Who is Deval?)
(Alex: We need more than that.)

"D" IN SCIENCE $800: This fin on the backs of dolphins helps them balance as they swim.

"D" IN SCIENCE $1200: Big breath, now-- it's what DNA stands for
(Dan: What is deoxyribo? What is deoxyribo...?)
(Alex: We need more than that.)

"D" IN SCIENCE $1600: (Kelly demonstrates the clue in the science lab)
To find the volume of an odd-shaped object like a rock, submerge it in water and then measure the difference in the water level. The rise is equal to the volume of the added object, and the difference is known by this term.

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sunday In The Park With George
Six Degrees Of Separation
Labor Day
Prince Edward Island
Quincy
Province Town
Nimrod
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Iran
Wild Hogs
Fantastic Mr. Fox or Men Who Stare At Goats
Gorillas in the Mist
suede
How I Met Your Mother
The Miracle Worker
a baseball glove
Bowling Green
the tango
paso doble
cars
the Charles
Deval Patrick
dorsal fins
deoxyribonucleic acid
displacement
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

;)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Tough FJ if you weren't a fan of that series; extremely easy one if you were. Nice to watch all that excitement down to the finish.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Jackoff needs to stop betting to tie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

floridagator wrote:Tough FJ if you weren't a fan of that series; extremely easy one if you were. Nice to watch all that excitement down to the finish.
I hated the series and watched maybe five episodes of it total. But it was an instaget for me.

Sean must really be into ties. He has offered a tie in both of his games. And with one $400 clue left on the board and a $1,000 lead, he bets $600 on the DD. I got the DD from the date and the tone of the quote, but Alex did sound like he was trying to impersonate RFK. (Was he trying to do King?).

I was not surprised an older guy who has been out of the country a lot the last nine years missed it.

Not a fan of the trailers' wagers. I'd have bet it all from third and offered a tie (or gone all in if I'd paid attention to yesterday's an hour ago's game) from second place.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Oh, a baseball player. Something worn by someone in BASEBALL. Some kind of glove… what kind of GLOVE is used in BASEBALL… um, batting glove?!" Even worse, that cost me the run.

Surprisingly got all but Tango in Dances.

What led to Van Gogh at $200?

Also, what led to "Car" in Holidays for $200? There are lots and lots of things sold by "dealers".

There actually is a flower called the Mayflower?!?

Would've run Vocabulary, but got gunshy on Suede.

Lach Trash: Nimrod. Just read about that word on TV Tropes.

NHO "docket". I thought "innocent until proven guilty" was by far the easiest in that category.

0/5 in Holidays, Massachusetts, Epic, 20th Century.

Can't believe I missed "Fantastic Mr. Fox". NHO 12 Monkeys, Wild Hogs, or Gorillas in the Mist that I recall.

Sitcom ended in 2014, key scene filmed early in the running... Gotta be "How I Met Your Mother".
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Not just any Family Guy... THE Family Guy. :lol:
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Shawn made a great comeback after being negative $1,000+ at the first commercial break. I was 5/5 in "D" In Science. I got 31 clues correct including FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Oh, a baseball player. Something worn by someone in BASEBALL. Some kind of glove… what kind of GLOVE is used in BASEBALL… um, batting glove?!" Even worse, that cost me the run.
That was a moronic clue.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote:
floridagator wrote:Tough FJ if you weren't a fan of that series; extremely easy one if you were. Nice to watch all that excitement down to the finish.
I hated the series and watched maybe five episodes of it total. But it was an instaget for me.

Sean must really be into ties. He has offered a tie in both of his games. And with one $400 clue left on the board and a $1,000 lead, he bets $600 on the DD. I got the DD from the date and the tone of the quote, but Alex did sound like he was trying to impersonate RFK. (Was he trying to do King?).

I was not surprised an older guy who has been out of the country a lot the last nine years missed it.
I've seen maybe 1-2 episodes. but it was an instaget for me too. An awful lot of publicity out there about how the series might wrap up last spring. I really couldn't think of a different answer. If you pay attention to TV related news, I think this was pretty easy.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I can't believe that "Chicago 7" was a $2000 clue. I would have never gotten to MLK Jr. on the DD, though.

Count me as another who has only seen maybe one episode of How I Met Your Mother but still got FJ instantly.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Leander wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

I've seen maybe 1-2 episodes. but it was an instaget for me too. An awful lot of publicity out there about how the series might wrap up last spring. I really couldn't think of a different answer. If you pay attention to TV related news, I think this was pretty easy.
At the break before FJ, my mom, sister, and I were talking about how badly we thought we were going to do on the clue; I rarely watch TV (other than Wheel and Jeopardy!), but I instaguessed HIMYM. The thought process went something like, "what sitcom ended in 2014? Oh, How I Met Your Mother!"
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Leander wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

I agree with the above, I never watched a single episode of that show but there was a ton of publicity about that finale, plus I know some fans of the show. Instaget.

Interesting how Sam both lost and gained on negs based on adding an extra "s" to the response.

Lach Trash: Quincy, Provincetown, Gorillas in the Mist, Martin Luther King.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Does someone have the "DNA" clue at hand? I was confused why Dan (I think) was negged for deoxyribo since the clue (I thought) asked what the "D" stood for.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Vermonter wrote:Does someone have the "DNA" clue at hand? I was confused why Dan (I think) was negged for deoxyribo since the clue (I thought) asked what the "D" stood for.
I thought so too, but I ran it back and they wanted to know the whole thing.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Bamaman wrote:
Vermonter wrote:Does someone have the "DNA" clue at hand? I was confused why Dan (I think) was negged for deoxyribo since the clue (I thought) asked what the "D" stood for.
I thought so too, but I ran it back and they wanted to know the whole thing.
Same thing here. I was absolutely convinced they would give in back, then when they didn't, utterly incensed that he had been hosed... until I reran the recording and saw that, much to my chagrin, it did not ask just what the D of DNA stood for but what DNA itself stood for. I like to think that if I'd actually been there, I'd have read the clue accurately and given the whole thing. Or barring that, gotten a clue when there is that awkward pause when they want more, and spit out the rest of it.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Oh, a baseball player. Something worn by someone in BASEBALL. Some kind of glove… what kind of GLOVE is used in BASEBALL… um, batting glove?!" Even worse, that cost me the run.
That was a moronic clue.
I said batting glove as well. I agree the clue was bad. Unless you had read the story, you would have no idea if it was a batting or fielding glove that was sold at the auction.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Word to the wise for anyone attempting to pronounce the word "quinceañera": use the "ñ" properly. Alex did not; instead, he pronounced it as a plain "n". One of the root words is "año", which translates to "year." However, "ano" without the tilde, as the teacher of a Spanish class pointed out to me many years ago, is ... well, a very specific anatomical term. So given that "quince" translates to fifteen, a "quinceanera" without the tilde would be a celebration of being a very unique individual, indeed.

Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:
Add me to the 'never seen an episode and still instagot it' crowd.
Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
That was a moronic clue.
I said batting glove as well. I agree the clue was bad. Unless you had read the story, you would have no idea if it was a batting or fielding glove that was sold at the auction.
Not really. Batting gloves didn't become en vogue until the 80s. (I stubbornly said batting glove too; kicked myself as soon as I did even before I was officially wrong. I think it's because "baseball glove" used in that way is really freakin uncommon. They're called "gloves". Which is why "batting gloves" need the adjective. So it's bad...but not quite in the way you thought.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)