Sports Jeopardy-Ep. 3 [Spoilers & Link included)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Sports Jeopardy-Ep. 3 [Spoilers & Link included)

Post by psgola »

Link: http://www.crackle.com/c/Sports_Jeopard ... 3/2493688/

Nice touch at the beginning of the show for Dan Patrick to point out the writers, as the audience gave a standing ovation. Also, pretty cool to see Alex Trebek read the FJ clue.

On the show itself, the writers definitely had fun in DJ, with these four categories: "Hail Mary", "Full of Grace", "The Lord is with Thee", "Blessed is the Fruit of the Womb"

I went 4/4 on five categories and Lach Trash: sugar ray robinson, cathy rigby, mary lou reton, sam snead, gronkowski

On the Mary Category, I said, "Mary Joe Carillo" instead of Mary Joe Fernandez, as I comined her name with Mary Carillo.

For FJ, I got it wrong, for the 2nd week in a row. I put down Yogi Berra. If given another 10 seconds, Jim Bouton would've come to mind. I'm worried if I do get on the show, FJ might be my own undoing. This week's winning score of under 20,000 will probably not cut it for the top three.
Last edited by psgola on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Re: Sports Jeopardy-Ep. 3 [Spoilers]

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

A disappointing 10,750 for me in this game. Two low-value negs kept me from having 13,750. But I did run the LET'S GET READY TO FUMBLE! category, even though one of the clues was about the NFL team I hate the most, the Cleveland Browns (coming from a Steelers fan).

Also, nice to see Alex reading the FJ! clue, even though I had no shot at it at all.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I should have had FJ off the category, but I couldn't remember his name and said Bunning. I always get them confused.
Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Ryno »

I noticed that the sample question given to the viewing audience during the first question could have been answered either home team (wrong) or visiting team (correct). So this was a 50/50 "coin toss" question that was about a literal coin toss. :)

Knew the AC Green clue, because that was one fact about his personal life that he was not afraid to advertise.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
BobF

Post by BobF »

jeopfansincebirth wrote:A disappointing 10,750 for me in this game. Two low-value negs kept me from having 13,750. But I did run the LET'S GET READY TO FUMBLE! category, even though one of the clues was about the NFL team I hate the most, the Cleveland Browns (coming from a Steelers fan).

Also, nice to see Alex reading the FJ! clue, even though I had no shot at it at all.
Oh, come on, the Browns? (No offense to Browns fans, but) When was the last time they were really relevant? They haven't made the playoffs in 12 years. That would be like a Tigers fan hating the Royals (prior to this year) instead of the White Sox. Or a Jets fan hating the Bills instead of the Patriots.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

22,750 coryat. Lach Trash: Roy Riegels, Cathy Rigby

On FJ, forgot the category until about 25 seconds in, and blurted out Bunning--like StevenH I get Bunning and Bouton mixed up in my head sometimes, but generally with a little more time, I sort out who's the senator and who's the author.

Found the wagering conversation afterwards a little weird--seemed like everyone was more concerned with avoiding 3rd place than winning??
Sheepin' it real.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Looks like slow clue calling is a problem on Sports Jeopardy! as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Add me to the list for Retton, Rigby and Snead. The round table mentioned the high score from show #2 and seemed to indicate Steven was in 2nd after his win. I can't imagine either score will hold up, but we have not seen any blazing hot shots yet either.

The FJ! clue had me stumped for a while as Yankees history is never going to be my thing other than years of World Series wins. Trying to find a way to make Maris make sense was of course a strikeout. It was not until I looked at the category again with just enough time to spare that I instantly realized it had to be Jim Bouton.

From Tad Carithers #1 7/14/2000: In 1998 the author of this controversial 1970 book was finally invited to play in a Yankees old-timers' game

Cleveland Browns most hated team? Ha, that's hilarious. Oh, yeah the Browns have hurt the Steelers so much over the years. :lol: How many fans of other teams have great memories of the Browns giving up a loss?

I could watch Kramer to Rashad any time. ;)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Athlete/Authors
In 1998, after a pleading article by his son, he was allowed at Old Timers' Day for his 1st visit to Yankee Stadium in 28 years.

Spoiler
Who is Jim Bouton? Wayne said Pete Rose.

Wayne Cartwright: $17,750-$4,500=$13,250
Steven Silverman: $11,250+$3,249=$14,499...wins $5,000
Herm Sorcher: $4,000+$3,000=$7,000
hscer

Post by hscer »

Can these threads begin with the Crackle (I keep typing "Cracked" first) link before anything else? I keep forgetting about this show until these posts pop up.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hscer wrote:Can these threads begin with the Crackle (I keep typing "Cracked" first) link before anything else?
Does that make you, "Mad"?
hscer

Post by hscer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
hscer wrote:Can these threads begin with the Crackle (I keep typing "Cracked" first) link before anything else?
Does that make you, "Mad"?
I literally had no idea what the origins of the website were before this pun, so thanks for edumacating me.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It seems like we should be keeping a running list of the high scorers, anyone have thoughts on spoilers? Someone can just post it in the game thread each week if we're going to keep having one, or we could have a separate thread similar to the TOC Standings. I don't know which makes the most sense.

I'll put it in spoilers for now in this thread, don't know if anyone would actually care about being spoiled about who won and the dollar amount for previous episodes in case they haven't watched them yet. I can't remember if it was specifically spelled out in the rules if it's the top 3 scoring players or the top 3 winning players. It seems unlikely that a 2nd place player could crack the top 3 anyway, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

Top Winners of the Season
Spoiler
Alex DeFrank (Game 2) $22,001
Steve Silverman (Game 3) $14,499
Kenny Chung (Game 1) $12,250
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

jeff6286 wrote:It seems like we should be keeping a running list of the high scorers, anyone have thoughts on spoilers? Someone can just post it in the game thread each week if we're going to keep having one, or we could have a separate thread similar to the TOC Standings. I don't know which makes the most sense.

I'll put it in spoilers for now in this thread, don't know if anyone would actually care about being spoiled about who won and the dollar amount for previous episodes in case they haven't watched them yet. I can't remember if it was specifically spelled out in the rules if it's the top 3 scoring players or the top 3 winning players. It seems unlikely that a 2nd place player could crack the top 3 anyway, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

Top Winners of the Season
Spoiler
Alex DeFrank (Game 2) $22,001
Steve Silverman (Game 3) $14,499
Kenny Chung (Game 1) $12,250
I think a separate thread would be better, just in case people watch them out of order. Similar to the TOC thread.
Sheepin' it real.
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Sports Jeopardy-Ep. 3 [Spoilers & Link included)

Post by TerrHeel »

It's the top three winners. Even if you finish 2nd but have a top-3 overall score, you wouldn't make the cut.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Alex cameo FTW! :D

10/8: 18,750 (FJ: :()
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Sony Studio Insiders has been sending out requests for members to provide feedback on Sports Jeopardy. If you're not a member and are interested in participating https://www.studioinsiders.com/S.aspx?s ... omdetect=1

You have to fill out a survey first to be accepted into the "club." (I don't know whether they actually ever reject anybody.) Then, you have to wait for them to send you the request to participate. But if you've indicated that you watch Sports Jeopardy (and Jeopardy!) you probably won't have a problem with either.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

I have virtually no interest in sports, unless the Olympics are currently on. I don't play very many of them. I don't bother with all the minutiae that is typically covered on Sports Jeopardy!.

So why, pray tell, do I keep tuning in week after week? (Serious question, I don't have an answer. I want to know myself.)
アタックチャンス!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Cleveland Browns most hated team? Ha, that's hilarious. Oh, yeah the Browns have hurt the Steelers so much over the years. :lol:
My apologies to jeopfansincebirth and other Steelers fans.

Browns: 24 oops make it 31 now
Steelers: 3

4th Q: 12 min to go
ASGNYC

Post by ASGNYC »

Hi. First time posting on board. Long-time Jeopardy watcher and have now seen all three episodes of Sports Jeop. Just wondered if anyone knows whether all 52 episodes have already taped? Assume they have, but curious. Frustrated as I didn't receive an invitation to try out (despite applying), and have been crushing the game (six questions total un-answered/incorrect over the three episodes to date :( ).

Thanks (and good to be here :) )
Drew