Tuesday, October 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue »

Category 13 wrote:I got tripped up on the Thomas Edison clue, and said Marconi.
So don't feel bad Candice, for going with 'horse shoes' for a "ring toss game".

Managed to come up with Robert Frost on the bottom Who Wrote It? clue, even though I hate poetry. Not much else lach trash for me.
I guessed Bell. Morse was dead by then, I think. My first missed FJ in 12 games. I guessed 3M. I missed the contestant stories due to weather cut-ins. Last 2 minutes were again painful.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

I just want a game where we get to see all of the clues, is that too much to ask?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, how did Candice get away with plugging her nail polish? I heard Lotus Elise and Google seemed to have more car hits for it than nail polish. I did not think first selection of Celebrity Marriages plus nail polish collection indicated a strong chance to win even though Candice was in decent shape after the J! round.

I thought the Marrakesh DD could have worked for an FJ! clue just as well. I really wished for that when Business came up as the category. Like the Heinz Ketchup from April I missed this one too. My guess was General Electric thinking they had something like one lightbulb at the start.

It was not until time was running out that it hit me it could not be right because of Edison's association with the company and his appearance in an earlier clue. For whatever reason I processed the clue as being about a company that started with a single product.

That's my second string of 5 this season stopped by one of those categories that often spell trouble. Music, Business...Shakespeare or Word Origins will get me the next time.

Dan was just not cut out for the interview segment. At least tonight's was shorter. Thank you Maggie & Co. for getting the message through to Shane about clue selecting. Finally by the DJ! round he was doing better with keeping it shorter. Military guys have to know how to take orders, so we'll see if the lesson holds tomorrow.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Johnblue wrote:I guessed Bell. Morse was dead by then, I think. My first missed FJ in 12 games. I guessed 3M. I missed the contestant stories due to weather cut-ins. Last 2 minutes were again painful.
Why would you guess a Scotsman for a category about Americans?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CrunchyTaco wrote:I just want a game where we get to see all of the clues, is that too much to ask?
Did you miss 06 October?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Dr. J wrote:Can't get Virginia Woolf when spotted "A room of one's own?" Sigh.
I read it as "a room with a view" and said Forster. Oops.

Instaget FJ, but I did have some misgivings. The only Heinz product I know of for sure is the ketchup.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Volante wrote:
CrunchyTaco wrote:I just want a game where we get to see all of the clues, is that too much to ask?
Did you miss 06 October?
We should not have to go more than a week between games where we see all of the clues.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think Alex's increased verbosity this season is part of the reason we're not.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Was that really the middle guy's best story?
Did you miss yesterday's game? The answer is "yes. Yes it is."
econgator wrote:
Johnblue wrote:I guessed Bell. Morse was dead by then, I think. My first missed FJ in 12 games. I guessed 3M. I missed the contestant stories due to weather cut-ins. Last 2 minutes were again painful.
Why would you guess a Scotsman for a category about Americans?
We Canadians claim him as one of us, actually. (He even got up to #9 in the list of the 100 Greatest Canadians when that ran some years back.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Was that really the middle guy's best story?
Did you miss yesterday's game? The answer is "yes. Yes it is."
I dunno, I still think Shane's "story" on 3/5/14 is the worst, since that one kind of disintegrated into a random jumble of words halfway through. I still have no idea what he was saying.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I remember being very young and Heinz introduced a green ketchup novelty or something, and thiking they would have to go by "58 varieties." I was subsequently blown away when I was told that they did not actually have 57 varieties, and in fact that had not been the case in over 100 f***ing years.

The things that stick with you...l :lol:

Anyways, instaget.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

*Time's up signal sounds*

"Oh, SORRY, the correct response is, 'What is, "Yes"? '
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Henry Heinz selected "57 varieties" as a slogan, and 57 was a lucky number, not the number of products they sold. Just a bit of trivia found at the Heinz web site. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Waiting for someone to point at Dan's result and say, "And that's why you don't offer a tie in FJ."

I guess Dan's study of wagering strategy didn't go beyond offering ties, although a better penultimate wager wouldn't have helped him here anyway.

My pull of the night was "gaiety"; I've never heard of the theater before, but managed to get it from "merriment" (or whatever synonym was in the clue).

I barely got Marrakech, thinking the clue was pointing outside of the country, but I got my head straight and came up with it soon enough that I think it would have been in time.

Easy FJ with more weird misses.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:...I thought the Marrakesh DD could have worked for an FJ! clue just as well. I really wished for that when Business came up as the category. Like the Heinz Ketchup from April I missed this one too. My guess was General Electric thinking they had something like one lightbulb at the start....
I agree that the DD was a great clue. I got it by recalling that the French name for the country is "Maroc".

I got FJ! from the year (Didn't Mr. Heinz see the number 57 on a billboard from his train window?). I thought 5700 products seemed a bit high, but just this afternoon I ran queries which showed that my employer had produced 7000+ different part numbers in the past year and about 14,000 in the last decade.
OCSam
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

We thought 5700 seemed like a lot too, so I dug into the Heinz website to see what they had besides ketchup, mustards, and other condiments. There is baby food, which I had forgotten, and would account for a lot of products. They also own brands like Ore Ida, Bagel Bites, and TGI Friday's frozen appetizers, plus many others in foreign countries.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Johnblue wrote:
Category 13 wrote:I got tripped up on the Thomas Edison clue, and said Marconi.
So don't feel bad Candice, for going with 'horse shoes' for a "ring toss game".

Managed to come up with Robert Frost on the bottom Who Wrote It? clue, even though I hate poetry. Not much else lach trash for me.
I guessed Bell. Morse was dead by then, I think. My first missed FJ in 12 games. I guessed 3M. I missed the contestant stories due to weather cut-ins. Last 2 minutes were again painful.
I also went with Bell. For final, I thought "What is that food product with ## 'varieties'?" -- dang, I couldn't come up with Heinz in time, so I went with Baskin-Robbins and their ## 'flavors" just to have something. Only lach trash for me was Robert Frost (didn't recognize the quote, but it sure sounded like his work). Dan seemed hot on geography, but then the DD bit him -- that seemed to take away some of his momentum. Congrats to Shane on a nice surge and win!

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Can't get Virginia Woolf when spotted "A room of one's own?" Sigh.
I read it as "a room with a view" and said Forster. Oops.
Same here.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ, but wasn't very sure about it. It was the only company I could come up with that had a number associated with it. I tried to think of a smaller number, but I was pretty sure it wasn't WD40. Even after Shane's reveal, I didn't feel good about it until Alex gave it the thumbs up.
Yeah,
Spoiler
Heinz 57
came to me right away, but then I thought, no way could they market 100 times that many products now, so I went with 3M.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ, but wasn't very sure about it. It was the only company I could come up with that had a number associated with it. I tried to think of a smaller number, but I was pretty sure it wasn't WD40. Even after Shane's reveal, I didn't feel good about it until Alex gave it the thumbs up.
Strangely enough, the first thing that went through my mind was Preston Trucking ("The 151 Line") but I remembered (a) the number was for the number of trucks they had at one time, not number of products, and (b) they aren't around anymore, at least by that name. Heinz popped in quickly, and I figured that made more sense and stuck with it.
BADuBois wrote:McDonald's? In the 1800's? Oy.
Guess that would be "Old McDonald's"? :P
BobF wrote:Yeah, [it] came to me right away, but then I thought, no way could they market 100 times that many products now, so I went with 3M.
That's the thing about conglomerates. When we think of Heinz, we think "ketchup" (pick your favorite spelling), in its many forms -- I remember seeing banana ketchup in a magazine ages ago as a favorite condiment in the Philippines. Throw in mustard, soup, beans, Ore-Ida, vinegar, Lea & Perrins, A-1 Sauce (outside of the US), HP Sauce, etc., it adds up in a hurry.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:After Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville all got ruled out on Cities for $1200 I was thinking, "well, what's LEFT?!"
You either know this or you don't. El Greco was born in Crete so his name literally means "The Greek". He was born with the name Domenicos Theotokopoulos. He settled in Toledo and many of his paintings have the city in the background even when depicting Biblical or mythological figures. I would estimate that more than 90% of TOC players would know this clue.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.