Wednesday, October 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILER

Post by JeopRDFan »

Leander wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:I didn't like FJ... I don't think of a backslash as a "computer command". "Punctuation mark" would be more appropriate... at least to me, anyway.
And backlash is not the first thing that comes to mind for me as a violent reaction to social change. I thought this was yet another bad FJ clue.

I saw this clue in the NY Times this morning and got it, but only after about 6 hours, not 30 seconds.
Late posting, show preempted in my area until Thursday 2AM. Yup, I was trying to think of single keystroke commands used in MS-DOS, so backslash never came up on my radar -- began going through symbols like * (star or asterisk), : (colon) and . (period) to no avail. It should have left out "computer commands" and just simply let it be keyboard elements (but then it probably wouldn't have been as tough). I did pause the recording to think, but not for 6 hours, haha -- I went with 'delete' (and NOT a command) just to have something. Probably would have been easier to figure out the derived word first. My only lach trash was Hawaii 5-0. Congrats to Shane on a solid run!
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Re: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by SavoyGirl »

bpmod wrote:
trainman wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
bpmod wrote:Oh, and unless I am mistaken about George's and Ira's individual talents, Ira collaborated with George by writing lyrics, not by composing. Only one (famous) Gershwin is a composer.

Brian
Yes, and Ira wrote all the lyrics in "Rhapsody in Blue".
My point, exactly. So there should have been no BMS.

Brian
Actually, it was Ira who came up with the title "Rhapsody in Blue".

BTW, the PBS station in New York (and maybe nationally) is airing the San Francisco Opera production of "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess" Friday night. Poor DuBose Heyward gets no respect :( This is actually the complete operatic version, not the revisal done on Broadway two years ago, which sported the same title.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wonder if they would have accepted my response of "What is the stupidest FJ I've seen on here in a long time?"

But seriously, how does this work:

"Subtract a letter from the name of this key used in computer commands & you get this type of reaction to social change."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote:I wonder if they would have accepted my response of "What is the stupidest FJ I've seen on here in a long time?"

"Subtract a letter from the name of this key used in computer commands & you get this type of reaction to social change."
You consider 13 days to be a long time?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:
alietr wrote:I wonder if they would have accepted my response of "What is the stupidest FJ I've seen on here in a long time?"

Touché.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Agree wholeheartedly, the use of the word "violent" threw me off.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Bamaman wrote:

Was that the Swan Song clue or the brat/blatt one?

Today's was more like the Swan Song clue in that it was hard to figure out what they were going for.
The Brat/blatt was just really obscure trivia at the time of the airing of the episode. It was in the news in June/July but easily forgotten by October.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lilacab01 wrote:Hiya, it's Regina from the game. No doubt I was nervous; I am not a performative person so being onstage was frightening. Losing and being quiet about it for 3 months was even worse - those wrong answers haunted me, especially since I knew the right ones. At the split second, I just read too quickly, or said the wrong thing, or conflated my "B" countries, as I'm wont to do.
Welcome, Regina! For what it's worth, it seemed pretty obvious that those were brain misfires and not ignorant guesses. I grimaced right along with you.

It's nice to hear your perspective on the game. I think we're pretty close psychologically. So often a losing player will say it was still a lot of fun just being on the show and there's no point in brooding over mistakes etc etc. I admire the attitude, even envy it. I know my mind doesn't work that way. If I get on the show and lose, I'm going to want to mope in a corner and pretend the game never happened. ("Say, didn't I see you on Jeopardy last night?" "No." "Really? That guy looked just like you." "No. Shut up.")

I think having a viewing party with friends is a better way to handle things. It's probably good that you were locked in to that. I hope we at JBoard can be part of the healing process too. If any of our armchair critics gets on your nerves, just point them out. We'll smack them around for you. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:It's nice to hear your perspective on the game. I think we're pretty close psychologically.
Seriously??? A newbie comes in here, and the first thing you do is call her a birdbrain??? Oh, Opus!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
I'm thinking we might need separate polls for this trimester. Mark Barrett can do the one for the hardest FJ. Maybe I'll work up a separate one for the worst.

So far, this FJ is at the top of my list for worst. Bratt/Blatt was hard, maybe even unfairly so. But it was essentially a miscalculation about the depth of knowledge that could be expected. The clue was otherwise reasonably well crafted and provided two points of entry. If you knew Blatt or Bratt, you had a shot. There was time to mull over similar names and see if any of them rang a bell.

The backslash clue, on the other hand, was poorly crafted. It was misleading, both in its reference to a computer "command" and its inclusion of the word "violent". It may have had two points of entry, but both were compromised. Moreover, the "command" point of entry was not pinned. Literally any non-alphanumeric key (including the hypothetical "any key") OR key combination had a shot at being the right response.

To top it off, the knowledge required by this clue was nugatory. The only point of the clue was wordplay. And the wordplay was clumsy, arbitrary, and poorly defined. It's the kind of wordplay you keep to yourself if you think of it. Unless you're that person. So the clue not only depended on wordplay, it depended on bad wordplay.

To me, that's two separate strikes. I enjoy wordplay clues and categories when they're thrown into the mix. But I feel that game-changing clues like DDs and, especially, FJs should depend on actual knowledge. Wordplay can have a secondary role in pinning the response. But the clue should be about something other than linguistic cleverness. (E.g. The only two Central Malayo-Polynesian languages with those characteristics are Timoric and Nauruan. But the clue also specifies "palindromic," so Nauruan it is.)

I had a shot at getting this clue right, though I didn't. I had no shot at the Blatt/Bratt clue. Yet I've got a lot more respect for the latter.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

SavoyGirl wrote:BTW, the PBS station in New York (and maybe nationally) is airing the San Francisco Opera production of "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess" Friday night. Poor DuBose Heyward gets no respect :( This is actually the complete operatic version, not the revisal done on Broadway two years ago, which sported the same title.
Woot!!! Thanks for putting me on to this. I've got Windows Media Center set to record it now. I loves me some Porgy and Bess.
Lilacab01
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Lilacab01 »

Thanks for the kind words opuspenguin. No doubt, it was a lot of fun and "just an honor to be nominated," but that doesn't 100% erase the sting. To have studied so hard and wanted it for so long and to lose *on your own merit* is heartbreaking; it always is when you don't live up to your own expectations. It's an acute and unexpected sense of loss too - because now the 'possibility' is gone. No more "let's tuck this piece of knowledge away in case it comes up on Jeopardy" because that's done with. It's hard to watch the show too, because I can't take delight in knowing answers - it takes so much more than that to win. I'm not ashamed of still feeling a little raw but I'll get over it, especially now that it's aired.

FYI -I'm also kicking myself for another missed opportunity. My FJ answer should have been "What..the eff!?!"

Watching it brought a smile to my face - I remembered how happy I was to just be standing on that stage. Amazing fulfillment of a long time dream.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:It's nice to hear your perspective on the game. I think we're pretty close psychologically.
Seriously??? A newbie comes in here, and the first thing you do is call her a birdbrain??? Oh, Opus!
Uh oh. I did promise Regina we'd smack her critics around. Somebody else want to do the honors or should I grab a bag of oranges and clobber myself?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thanks for sharing, Regina, I always love hearing contestants' perspectives, and I hope you stick around and be part of the community like Stefan/seaborgium.

You said you already spent your winnings Labour Day weekend. Did you already get your cheque or is Jeopardy! "reimbursing" you in a few weeks?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I agree Swan Song was much worse. But Bret/Blatt was the most recent really bad one.

Keith said in his video he didn't like wordplay FJs and I agree.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:You said you already spent your winnings Labour Day weekend. Did you already get your cheque or is Jeopardy! "reimbursing" you in a few weeks?
She has a 120 day wait from the airdate.
Lilacab01
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Lilacab01 »

Yea we spent it preemptively ;) My husband was an amazing coach*, and it was my bday weekend, so we decided to go for it (real honeymoon is months away, and immediately after the wedding we had to get right back into our busy work lives).

*incidentally, one of the first things he ever told me was ""in case it ever comes up, Winfield Scott was known as old fuss and feathers." I think they edited out my gigantic grin to him when the final clue came up. They prob kept my look of exasperation when I got beaten on the buzzer.