Thursday, October 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, October 16, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I liked John's stalling technique; my girlfriend was pissed off by it.
I predict if he goes on any kind of a run, he will draw the wrath of irritated viewers in the same manner Arthur Chu fell into disfavor.
"Fell into"??? I get the impression that people either loved or hated Arthur from the first moment they saw him, and never changed their mind.
True.
It was just a figure of speech, as I was struggling to find the right words.

John's dragging out the clue selections is probably a lot less noticable to the average Jeopardy! watcher than Arthur going straight for the high dollar clues at the beginning of each round.
It's really going to tick off the boardies when he leaves three clues on the board that happen to be right in someone's wheelhouse category.

I didn't notice the Groucho thing but I'll have to try and look for it tonight. I'm hoping it will be his last game.
I'm guessing he'll have two female challengers, after an all male roster last night.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote:There seemed to be an edit on the Isis clue, so I'm guessing something was said about John making Osiris a goddess?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Regina can tell us if Alex said, "Osiris was a dude, and wasn't in a position to suckle anybody."
Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

I have always known this book as "Voyage to the Center of the Earth," perhaps because I did not read it in the English translation, and that was my FJ answer. Would that not have been acceptable?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Zee2 wrote:I have always known this book as "Voyage to the Center of the Earth," perhaps because I did not read it in the English translation, and that was my FJ answer. Would that not have been acceptable?
If there's been a version in English with that name, yes. If not, might as well go with le titre français.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

Vermonter wrote:
Zee2 wrote:I have always known this book as "Voyage to the Center of the Earth," perhaps because I did not read it in the English translation, and that was my FJ answer. Would that not have been acceptable?
If there's been a version in English with that name, yes. If not, might as well go with le titre français.
That's tough; it'd be an interesting call. The "All Quiet on the Western Front" debacle in the UTOC is precedent for negging a plausible translation of a foreign work. I agree with Vermonter that if you know the French title, writing it down and looking like an asshole is a lot safer than hazarding a guess at the translation.
davey

Post by davey »

Since the original title is Voyage au centre de la Terre I think you could make a very good case. I don't see an English edition with the title in Google Books but I do see it referred to that way in other books. I'd give it to you.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:
Since the original title is Voyage au centre de la Terre I think you could make a very good case. I don't see an English edition with the title in Google Books but I do see it referred to that way in other books. I'd give it to you.
Does raise an interesting question, though ... why does pretty much every single translation call it "Journey" and not "Voyage"? The French verb voyager translates as voyage, journey, trip, travel, so why were none of the others ever used? It's not as if Verne could make a distinction ("No, not that le voyage, the other le voyage.) and I have no clue if Verne spoke/wrote/understood English. There were certainly translations into English during his life. though. *shrug*
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

econgator wrote:
davey wrote:
Does raise an interesting question, though ... why does pretty much every single translation call it "Journey" and not "Voyage"? The French verb voyager translates as voyage, journey, trip, travel, so why were none of the others ever used? It's not as if Verne could make a distinction ("No, not that le voyage, the other le voyage.) and I have no clue if Verne spoke/wrote/understood English. There were certainly translations into English during his life. though. *shrug*
To complicate that further: Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of the 54 novels in Verne's "Voyages Extraordinaires" collection, which is sometimes translated as "Extraordinary Journeys" and sometimes as "Extraordinary Voyages."
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
davey wrote:
Maybe because in English voyage is usually understood to mean a trip by water...
3 of the 5 definitions in Webster's Third mention sea or water, and it quotes Dickens in Tale of Two Cities -

You are well on your way to the poor wronged gentleman, and, with a fair sea voyage, and a fair land journey, you will be soon at his dear side...
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Came in late just in time to say; "Who is Isis?" and be amazed by response: 'Osiris'... that was his Dad, dude!
Note to self: read Bullfinch cover-to-cover... Again!

Instaget FJ, I read this book in 1972 (3rd grade) :geek: .
TBVH I don't think John is stalling, I think he was nervous and starts to get more comfortable as he wins.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
davey

Post by davey »

goatman wrote:Came in late just in time to say; "Who is Isis?" and be amazed by response: 'Osiris'... that was his Dad, dude!
Note to self: read Bullfinch cover-to-cover... Again!

Instaget FJ, I read this book in 1972 (3rd grade) :geek: .
TBVH I don't think John is stalling, I think he was nervous and starts to get more comfortable as he wins.
It was when he knew he was far enough ahead last night that he started to stall. I don't remember anyone ever doing it so blatantly...
Serendipity
Contributor

Post by Serendipity »

I watched this game last night and was so struck by the defending champion's egregious delay of game tactics (obviously to preserve a runaway victory) that I came here to post about it. In all my years watching Jeopardy! I don't think I have ever seen such unsportsmanlike behavior. I'm glad to see that this did not escape others' attention.

As for Arthur Chu, I never had the slightest problem with his jumping around from category to category. Apples and oranges.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Serendipity wrote:I watched this game last night and was so struck by the defending champion's egregious delay of game tactics (obviously to preserve a runaway victory) that I came here to post about it. In all my years watching Jeopardy! I don't think I have ever seen such unsportsmanlike behavior. I'm glad to see that this did not escape others' attention.
I too noted others' irritation (and so I watched it again) but was it merited? Is two unfinished clues in DJ aberrant? Is clipping the category name off to just give the dollar amount (which the champ did several times) considered stalling? How about the way he very rarely said 'please,' which saves a second or two each category announced? Is he the only one to max out the clock on a DD? He burned 5 seconds on responding to Alex's post-DD heckle. BFD. I agree that stalling is annoying to us diehard fans, but I've seen tons of people burning far more time with stringing out each and every category title and 'please' every time.