Wednesday, October 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Onairb wrote:For some people, whatever site they're posting on is the only one that exists.
What are you talking about? Nobody on JBoard does this.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Caboom wrote:I said Spanish stairs when asked for "these stairs", instead of Spanish Steps. I also said burning instead of burning a hole. :D Judges?
Sorry, I'd say no on both. On "burning", you'd probably get a pause and stare for a few seconds to allow you to finish the phrase. Would you have been able to if that happened?
Yeah, that's what I figured. Knew burning wasn't quite right, but was drawing a blank on the expression.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Caboom wrote:I said Spanish stairs when asked for "these stairs", instead of Spanish Steps. I also said burning instead of burning a hole. :D Judges?
Absolutely yes on "Spanish Stairs". "Spanish Steps" is the more common English rendering, but the other definitely gets used. To me, the only uncertain part is whether the response would be accepted immediately. I think there is a slight chance of a hiccup while Alex glances at the judges before saying "Stairs or steps. Yeah, we'll accept that." I think there's an even slimmer chance of it getting outright negged, even temporarily. If it did get negged, that judgment would get reversed. That's a Penguin Promise™.