Thursday, October 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

John Boy wrote:
Onairb wrote:
I thought his pronunciation of 'teetotaling' was Tote Al Lee odd.
I thought so also, and also thought several others of his responses (can't recall specifics) sounded as if he read it somewhere, never actually heard it, and had no idea of the correct pronunciations. And there was just something about his overall speaking style that made it hard for me to warm up to him. Can't put my finger on it.

(however, he played a fine game and he IS the champ....)
Trattoria was another odd pronunciation, but that was sort of excusable given its foreign origin. I don't if it was his speaking style per se, but i did think he seemed extremely rigid and almost robotic behind the podium. Maybe nervousness? I didn't see how he handled the interview portion.
Gumby385
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Gumby385 »

Abraxas wrote:Matthew had a good game. I was surprised when Ali didn't phrase her "librettist" response in the form of a question - and also surprised when neither of the other players rang in with "What is librettist?"
Same here - pretty odd for no one to ring in when they are given the correct response.
I got FJ after the think music ended but before Alex said the correct response. So it won't count as a get for me!
Me too, but I am happy I at least got it before the reveal!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: It helps if you know remember vinegar is a key ingredient in mustard.
There. That's better.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm not fond of runaway games, but it was refreshing to see Ali and the other contestant do what they had to (TDD) to get in contention. They had mixed results and never did catch the leader. FJ was no instaget for me, but I was able to figure it out in time with some talking.

I thought there were several mispronunciations on the three T category and was expecting an announcement after judges listened to the tapes.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Gumby385 wrote:
Abraxas wrote:Matthew had a good game. I was surprised when Ali didn't phrase her "librettist" response in the form of a question - and also surprised when neither of the other players rang in with "What is librettist?"
Same here - pretty odd for no one to ring in when they are given the correct response.
Doesn't seem odd to me at all. Are you SURE it got negged because she didn't say "what is"? REALLY sure? So sure that there is ZERO risk of looking like a COMPLETE IDIOT by ringing in and giving the EXACT SAME response that JUST GOT NEGGED?

Even if I was 95% sure, I don't think I'd have the guts to pull the trigger.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm glad some people got this, but this FJ was yet another clunker.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

silverscreentest wrote:I wonder if the challengers were nervous because they seemed particularly non-expressive. But they got the correct questions. I'm much more turned off by contestants who stand and stare than those who aren't dynamic on camera.
Yeah, Jeopardy seriously needs to make the Voight-Kampff test part of the audition process.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

UiscePreston wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:I wonder if the challengers were nervous because they seemed particularly non-expressive. But they got the correct questions. I'm much more turned off by contestants who stand and stare than those who aren't dynamic on camera.
Yeah, Jeopardy seriously needs to make the Voight-Kampff test part of the audition process.
That's funny. If that is how some contestants are on J! then imagine them at the dentist's office.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

tep390 wrote:
Abraxas wrote:Matthew had a good game. I was surprised when Ali didn't phrase her "librettist" response in the form of a question - and also surprised when neither of the other players rang in with "What is librettist?" I got 30 clues correct including national forest, spruce, nitrogen, NCIS, and Panama Canal. I got FJ after the think music ended but before Alex said the correct response. So it won't count as a get for me!
Yeah, I was surprised she didn't catch her "what is," but the other two must have been so stumped that they didn't realize her error...which is still surprising. She also nearly fell into the same trap a few questions later, but caught and corrected herself just in time.
To me, it seemed like she said "What is" very quickly when she initially answered, but it was not clear enough for Alex (or the judges) to hear it. Then when he asked her to say it again, she thought that he hadn't heard the pronunciation of the word, and so only repeated "librettist" and got negged.

This isn't the first time I've noticed something similar; it seems like there was a champ last season who had a habit of spitting out their answers very quickly and not enunciating the "What is" or "Who is" clearly enough, and had to repeat answers a couple of times per episode, but I can't remember who it was.
Sheepin' it real.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Looked like Angela had a cast on her leg? I think she played sitting down.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:Looked like Angela had a cast on her leg? I think she played sitting down.
Definitely a chair was visible multiple times. A cast or walking boot was harder to determine due to the dark slacks. I won't poll it, but if I did it would get votes like last week (Alex's mustache gone) for not noticing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Looked like Angela had a cast on her leg? I think she played sitting down.
Definitely a chair was visible multiple times. A cast or walking boot was harder to determine due to the dark slacks. I won't poll it, but if I did it would get votes like last week (Alex's mustache gone) for not noticing.
I never noticed it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I can't imagine how much it would throw a contestant to break a bone between getting the call and tape date, but I'm sure worse personal catastrophes have happened to players that they've managed to play through.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I only spotted the chair when the camera panned across during the Think! music, and it made me curious. Would the chair go on the elevated platform? Meaning, would the person climb on to the chair and then be raised up to the appropriate height? That would seem to make for a very precarious position. Alternately, it could be a very high chair, kind of like a barstool but with a back, but a person with any kind of issue that makes it difficult to stand for long periods surely would have trouble maneuvering into a chair or that height as well. Any thoughts?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Chair? Yeah, count me in on those that didn't notice. Since I already deleted my recording anyone have screenshots of it during the game and of her during the credits chat (which I hardly ever watch)?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:Chair? Yeah, count me in on those that didn't notice. Since I already deleted my recording anyone have screenshots of it during the game and of her during the credits chat (which I hardly ever watch)?
Here's my low-tech screenshots, aka pictures of my TV from my phone. Seems I only spotted the chair when she leaned to the side while writing in FJ. And there is some kind of cast or brace on the leg visible in the postgame chat, but it's kind of tough to see.
Attachments
chair2.jpg
chair2.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
chair1.jpg
chair1.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:
I did notice it during DJ!

I also spotted one straight leg/one bent leg during the endchat, but nothing more.
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
psgola wrote:On the Literary San Francisco category, I pronounced Kerouac, "Krowak". Judges, would that be accepted?
Doubtful. I don't see any way to get that as a pronunciation from the spelling.
It has all the right consonant sounds in the right order, and the last syllable is right. The middle vowel in "Kerouac" is arguably pronounced as the "'ow" in "crow," and could be pronounced like the "ow" in "vowel." The only problem is that the "e" in the first syllable is elided and I can't think of a close parallel in English but I think he might get away with that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

zakharov wrote:I said Champagne and I doubt I'll be alone. Oh well.
Cognac here, knowing I could rule out the various ones like champagne, bordeaux, etc., but not confident at all cause the category was 'food'...though that still would steer me away from a condiment.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

TenPoundHammer wrote:TV Initials for $400 was huuuuuuge negbait for CSI in my opinion.
Like someone noted, it did say spinoff in the clue. That being said, I did say CSI as well, and only got it on the rebound.