Monday, October 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, October 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote:So it wasn't McDonald's? I'm trying to remember, which British group sang "Old McDonald had a farm" anyway?
Or Wendy's. Didn't The Association sing about Wendy having stormy eyes? Oh, I guess that was Windy...and they're not British.
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Propose some of the poll choices should be "I have heard the song 'Ruby Tuesday'" and "I have eaten at a Ruby Tuesday".
If there's someone out there who claims to have never heard the song I'd have to ask what rock they've been living under. :)
Oddly enough, I used to be a waiter at Ruby Tuesday, but I don't think I've ever actually heard the song. It certainly wasn't on the restaurant soundtrack. As for the geographic distribution of the chain, if my memory from two weeks of training is correct, I believe that the ones in the eastern half of the country are company-owned, while the ones in the western half of the country are franchised, which perhaps explains the sparseness out there.

Not that anecdotes are evidence, but there must be some notability about Costco's store brand because I somehow knew that Kirkland was the Costco brand despite never having shopped at one. Conversely, I shop at Target all the time, and have no idea what their store brand is, even though I read it upthread only a few minutes ago.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was going to make a joke about the waitresses wearing flair, but that was actually a spoof of the other restuarant chain whose name has a day of the week in it. (I of course speak of the short-lived chain named for "Except for Monday" by Lorrie Morgan. :D)

I've noticed that Ruby Tuesdays have been dropping like flies around Michigan. Particularly the ones in shopping malls, which has me wondering what the one in the Midland Mall is doing right. I know I've eaten at two different Ruby Tuesdays (one of which is now closed), but it must not have been a memorable dining experience because I have literally no idea what my opinion of it was.

I wonder if there has ever been a Ruby Tuesday located next to a Tuesday Morning closeout store?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
John Boy wrote:So it wasn't McDonald's? I'm trying to remember, which British group sang "Old McDonald had a farm" anyway?
Or Wendy's. Didn't The Association sing about Wendy having stormy eyes? Oh, I guess that was Windy...and they're not British.
Surprised they're not British. Fort some reason the sound of that song (which I think is all I know about them) *scream* British to me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

There really ought to be a sandwich chain called Yellow Submarine.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

goatman wrote: a 12-foot bronze thingy with a rim = 'Liberty Bell', lol; ... and Lebanon was formerly known as Phoenecia.
That would be fine if the clue mentioned rim, but it didn't. It said it was 12 at the lip, which unfortunately led me to think of a statue of some kind, but then realized the 3 foot height in the clue wouldn't work.

As for Lebanon f/k/a Phoenecia, it wasn't that obvious as the Phoenecians were all over the Mediterranean. Did you ever wonder why the wars between Carthage and Rome were called the Punic Wars?
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Propose some of the poll choices should be "I have heard the song 'Ruby Tuesday'" and "I have eaten at a Ruby Tuesday".

If there's someone out there who claims to have never heard the song I'd have to ask what rock they've been living under. :)
Never heard of the song. Any kind of music category is bad for me. Trying to party little more attention, but just seem to be too many songs:-)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Wendy's was my guess as well, even though I knew it was actually named after the daughter of founder Dave Thomas. At least we were right about the 1967 part.

Why do contestants seem to abandon smart wagering strategy in FJ if the game is a runaway? Dori's bet didn't cover a 2x bet by Matt, and it put her behind Matt's zero bet in case of a miss. Matt, however, should not have wagered more than 1700, although it ended up working out for him in the end.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I wonder if there has ever been a Ruby Tuesday located next to a Tuesday Morning closeout store?
Where I live in Alabama, there is a Ruby Tuesday right across the street from a Tuesday Morning.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

psgola wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I wonder if there has ever been a Ruby Tuesday located next to a Tuesday Morning closeout store?
Where I live in Alabama, there is a Ruby Tuesday right across the street from a Tuesday Morning.
You sometimes have to wonder about store juxtaposition. Near me is a Dick's Sporting Goods. At the other end of the parking lot:
Spoiler
Hooter's Restaurant.
Enter scatological snickering here. :twisted: :lol: :roll: :oops:
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I always wondered why they put a McDonalds next to a health club.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

thenextofken wrote:I always wondered why they put a McDonalds next to a health club.
In our hotel room in Oslo there was a small information booklet. There was a passage which began, "Because we care about our guests, we want to make it easy to choose a healthy lifestyle when they are away from home." On the facing page was directions to McDonalds.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
psgola wrote:
You sometimes have to wonder about store juxtaposition. Near me is a Dick's Sporting Goods. At the other end of the parking lot:
Spoiler
Hooter's Restaurant.
I know of a shopping center that has a Dick's Sporting Goods and a BJ's Wholesale Club next to each other.
thenextofken wrote:I always wondered why they put a McDonalds next to a health club.
Marquette, Michigan has one that's attached to a strip mall. The next suite down the strip is an Anytime Fitness.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Our local mall made sure to keep these two establishments far apart:
Attachments
dicks.jpg
dicks.jpg (97.31 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
psgola wrote:
Spoiler
Hooter's Restaurant.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "scatological" only refer to things that relate to, say, "scat"? (aka "poop") "Purile" probably would have worked better.

(My increased levels of pedantry has nothing to do with the fact that I'm currently dressed as Sheldon Cooper, and will soon depart for a Halloween-themed gathering (my local Toastmasters club). OK, maybe it does.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

You're wrong.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote:You're wrong.
Be more specific. :)

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

bpmod wrote:
Paucle wrote:
jpr281 wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I'm usually pretty liberal about accepting song title variants, if actual lyrics and the actual title are included, but for some reason accepting "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday" didn't feel right here...
I concur.
I've never eaten at a Good-bye Ruby Tuesday. Never even seen one. Google doesn't seem to be able to find any, even.
Be that as it may, they were asking for a song title, and as per their long-established rules, adding extra lyrics to the title, provided said lyrics are correct, makes the response acceptable.

Brian
Exactly. I don't know how people who are not completely new to the show can even consider the possibility that it wouldn't be accepted.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Vermonter wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Paucle wrote:
jpr281 wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I'm usually pretty liberal about accepting song title variants, if actual lyrics and the actual title are included, but for some reason accepting "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday" didn't feel right here...
I concur.
I've never eaten at a Good-bye Ruby Tuesday. Never even seen one. Google doesn't seem to be able to find any, even.
Be that as it may, they were asking for a song title, and as per their long-established rules, adding extra lyrics to the title, provided said lyrics are correct, makes the response acceptable.

Brian
I believe the extraneous lyrics have to appear every time the actual title is sung in the song to be acceptable. That is the case here.
I have never heard of that qualification, and I paid very close attention when Maggie went over various rules. As far as I know, the requirement is that the response (1) include the entire, exact title, and (2) be an exact quote from the lyrics. That's necessary and sufficent, end of story.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
What about if they claim they've never heard of the restaurant? I've never heard of a restaurant called Ruby Tuesday...?