Tuesday, October 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BoK »

MarkBarrett wrote:Who got the Eisenhower sick/market down clue right? I will blame the players zero for trying President Bush on that one.
President + food poisoning sent me directly to Bush the Elder vomiting on the Japanese PM. Although with some time to think about, I remember that it was because of the flu, not food poisoning.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

JJessen wrote:Hello, everyone! I'm Jenica Jessen. I've been reading J! Archive for a while (excellent for studying!) but I just stumbled across these boards. And I figured since everyone was talking about me, I might as well talk back. :)

The "Turks and Caicos" thing just kills me. I'd only ever come across the name while studying for the show. When I did, I searched the J! Archives and discovered that the islands had only ever appeared on the show six times, and in five of those all or part of the name was in the question. So I figured that I didn't need to know the full name, just be able to recognize it on sight. when I read the clue a few weeks later, I knew that the right answer was "Turks and C_____s", but I didn't remember what was in the middle of the seocnd word. So I took a stab at it and stabbed wrong.

You can bet that I'm never going to forget it NOW, though. :)

MarkBarrett: I was actually really confident in FJ. Normally I'm a bit of a risk-adverse person, but up to that point I had never missed a question on the Bible. (Broke my streak in the next game, but thankfully it worked here.) You can blame Mormon theology for the Satan thing-- 19 years of Sunday School lessons tend to reinforce certain interpretations. That the was first name that popped into my head.

To be honest, I wouldn't have offered a tie to Bill if I'd been in first place. He was a nice guy, but the truth is that I really would have preferred to have won a game outright, without tying. (He'd already done that.) I certainly appreciated it when he offered me a tie, though-- that chatting-with-Alex-after-the-show moment was one long "Thank you".
Congrats on making the show and also winning. Your all- in wager on FJ definitely helped you.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

stephanie wrote:And the capital for Barbados I wouldn't have thought of as obscure as, say, the capital of Tuvalu.
I knew this one from the Jimmy Buffett song "Presents to Send You":
Yeah, I thought I might sail down to Bridgetown
Spend some time in the Barbados sun
Welcome to the board, Jenica. I hope you stick around.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JJessen wrote:Hello, everyone! I'm Jenica Jessen. I've been reading J! Archive for a while (excellent for studying!) but I just stumbled across these boards. And I figured since everyone was talking about me, I might as well talk back. :)

The "Turks and Caicos" thing just kills me. I'd only ever come across the name while studying for the show. When I did, I searched the J! Archives and discovered that the islands had only ever appeared on the show six times, and in five of those all or part of the name was in the question. So I figured that I didn't need to know the full name, just be able to recognize it on sight. when I read the clue a few weeks later, I knew that the right answer was "Turks and C_____s", but I didn't remember what was in the middle of the seocnd word. So I took a stab at it and stabbed wrong.
It was a good stab nonetheless. Not a stab you'd want to ring in with. But your back was up against the wall of a DD.

Congrats on the win and on getting to make it a true Daily Double in your first round of play.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BoK wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Who got the Eisenhower sick/market down clue right? I will blame the players zero for trying President Bush on that one.
President + food poisoning sent me directly to Bush the Elder vomiting on the Japanese PM. Although with some time to think about, I remember that it was because of the flu, not food poisoning.
I had Bush41 as well. But the category was about White House chefs and I think the vomiting was in Japan so it would not have involved the White House chef.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

I had snake instead of serpent in FJ, I wonder if that would have been accepted? I don't think I've ever heard the word serpent before this. Is there a difference on the usage, or are they completely synonymical/interchangeable?

And before I get slammed for not knowing the word, I'm not a native speaker. :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Caboom wrote:I had snake instead of serpent in FJ, I wonder if that would have been accepted? I don't think I've ever heard the word serpent before this. Is there a difference on the usage, or are they completely synonymical/interchangeable?

It's fine.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
davey

Post by davey »

StevenH wrote:
I was surprised that Thomas Pynchon was a triple stumper, especially with an English professor up there.
That was a weird clue, since the beginning was designed to bring a Pynchon book to mind (There was Crying of a Lot of 49-year-old fans...)
but the idea of crying fans and an audio book read by Jeannie Berlin (the whiny star, over 40 years ago, of The Heartbreak Kid, and not much else of note) made me veer away and think it must be a book by Nicholas Sparks or his ilk. Bleeding Edge just came out last year, and I don't remember reading much about it so I didn't recognize the title....
John Boy wrote:
wspaniel wrote:The key to Final Jeopardy was that the clue said "between these 2." I was originally going to guess "Adam and Eve," but if that were the correct answer, the clue would have read "between these two people." That gave me Eve and the serpent.

Awkward wordings like that give clues every now and then. It reminded me of this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugYFQ1IsNOA
For people who take note of how J! clues are written, this is an excellent object lesson for exactly the reason you state. The intentional omission of the word "people" was glaring enough that it should reasonably alert the attentive contestant of something unusual...in this case the fact that they were NOT looking for two PEOPLE.
I agree with this in principle, and I'm glad that it helped others here, but I don't think there's anything awkward OR glaring about "between these 2". I would think anybody perceptive enough to pick this up would know the correct response anyway...
I feel similarly about the youtube clip-
Spoiler
The Times of India is a famous newspaper and The Times of New Delhi, if there is one, is not...
JJessen

Post by JJessen »

Caboom wrote:I had snake instead of serpent in FJ, I wonder if that would have been accepted? I don't think I've ever heard the word serpent before this. Is there a difference on the usage, or are they completely synonymical/interchangeable?

They are synonymous, but "serpent" is a little more archaic than "snake". It means exactly the same thing but it's not really a word I'd use in everyday life.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

JJessen wrote:

They are synonymous, but "serpent" is a little more archaic than "snake". It means exactly the same thing but it's not really a word I'd use in everyday life.
Thanks, and welcome to the board!