Wednesday, October 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

nlw44 wrote:I can't believe that I actually pre-called Henry James. I actually try not to get any potentials stuck in my head before the reveal - they generally refuse to move aside for correct responses when the time comes. But in this case, I just happened to think of Henry James during the commercials, and then amazingly they have a clue about an author originally American but spending most of his life in England, from the late 19th to early 20th century. I have read a comment somewhere about him being "more British than the British," or something to that effect, and of course his books generally involve English society. Probably didn't hurt that I checked in and out of "The Innocents" on TV just recently.
I thought the category implied the author spent a lot of time in other countries, but I came up with T. S. Eliot.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

I didn't realize James had applied for British citizenship and went with Eliot, even though I was very uneasy about the dates, which didn't seem to fit.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Happy, happy, happy! to see the gentleman who played for a tie get sent home.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:Happy, happy, happy! to see the gentleman who played for a tie get sent home.
Is your real name Phil Robertson?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right (or 31).

Arm- 3; Beverage- 1; Billboard- 2; Home- 5; "Bone"- 3; Heart- 3
Movies- 3; Mountain- 4; B to Z- 2; Definition- 1; Yours- 5; Heart- 0

Lach trash: "Uganda", "Sudan", "Emma" (maybe; I only said Emma since it was the novel title but the full name may have been warranted, and I didn't know Woodhouse), "H.R. Haldeman"

I had nothing for FJ- I've heard of Henry James, but I didn't know enough about him.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another TS Eliot here; wouldn't have gotten Henry James, too obscure for me relatively.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

StevenH wrote:I guessed D.H. Lawrence on FJ, even though I knew that it couldn't be him.
Wrong direction. Lawrence was a UK-born author who moved to the US. Of course England claims both him and the US-born T. S. Eliot and you don't generally see them taught in American Lit classes. Henry James gets taught as American Lit though.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

On the Macklemore question, considering the phrasing of the question and the clip they played, wouldn't the more accurate correct answer be Wanz, as he does have a single name and is the only one singing in the clip?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Less than a minute to go and one full category left. I'm pretty far behind, but it isn't hopeless. I might get back into it if I can nail some big dollar clues. If I'm ever in this spot I will definitely go to the top of the board.

No chance for me on FJ. I got my authors mixed up and went with Hawthorne, who died in 1864. I was actually thinking of the guy who wrote The Red Badge of Courage. But he died at the age of 28 in 1900. I looked him up and he did live in England for a while and died in Germany. I didn't know that fact, but at least I came up with (or tried to) someone who moved to England.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jennifer was introduced as being from Utah. Stanford must be a bad word there because she gave her response like it was painful to say it. I wanted her to get the Twilight ahead of Bill because I suspect she would have done the same thing. She did not disappoint me in getting Pitch Perfect as I pegged her for being most likely to know it. Sequel in May 2015.
Ryno wrote:I don't remember how that clue was worded, but Milosevic served as the President of Serbia from 91 to 97.

As for FJ, I was stuck on Eliot for a while, knowing the timeline was not right, until Henry James popped in my head one second before time ran out.
HOME DESPOTS $400: Slobodan Milosevic (1997-2000)

Idi Amin/Uganda for $200 seemed fine to me although Hammer and the three players would not agree.

As for FJ, I was stuck on Eliot for a while, knowing the timeline was not right, until Henry James popped in my head one second after time ran out.

That's what I call a home miss when I like to think in the studio my mind would have worked faster. I hate giving one away when it was solvable.

Ryan gets added to the list for dispatching returning co-champs. And he made it look easy.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Ryno wrote:I don't remember how that clue was worded, but Milosevic served as the President of Serbia from 91 to 97.
HOME DESPOTS $400: Slobodan Milosevic (1997-2000)
Yugoslavia didn't go away completely until 2003, it was just Serbia and Montenegro after 1992, but from 92-97 they had separate leadership.
I forgot that myself initially..."Oh, breakup was in 1992, so Serbia"...except not quite.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Pigeon
Contributor

Post by Pigeon »

Fishercat wrote:On the Macklemore question, considering the phrasing of the question and the clip they played, wouldn't the more accurate correct answer be Wanz, as he does have a single name and is the only one singing in the clip?
Exactly what I said when they played the clip. And I believe "Thrift Shop" is usually attributed to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, not just Macklemore.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with Yugoslavia, but I was worried it was going to be one of the countries formed out of it. The trickiness should have made it a fourth row clue right above the guy from Sudan that I had never heard of. I think Amin, Pinochet and Pol Pot could have gone in any order in the top three.

Mark skipped the Giants in Game 7 to watch Jeopardy!. Now, that's a fan of the show.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:the guy from Sudan that I had never heard of.
Fun fact for Star Trek fans (Paucle probably knows this due to a previous avatar of his), the Basheir guy from Sudan is a relative (uncle?) of Siddig El-Fadil/Alexander Siddig, who played Dr. Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine! (A quick look around doesn't tell me definitively if they named the character that for that reason, best I could tell was that the character was renamed shortly before filming of the pilot began, but no indication why he was renamed.)
xxaaaxx wrote:So they show you a country on a map, even tell you a carefully worded fact about the eq...ahem center of the earth, and you guessed what??
The equator is a line on the outside of the earth, the centre of the earth is a point inside the earth.
[/quote]

No he didn't, as was pointed out there was no country called "Serbia" at that time. '91 was just when Yugoslavia was starting to break up (and Milosevic's leading of the forces is the notoriety that gained him a spot in this category), and as long as there were still at least 2 countries still joined together in union, there was a Yugoslavia. In 2003 it changed its name to "Serbia & Montenegro" since those were the only two countries still in federation (although the land area was no different since the mid '90s from what had been called "Yugoslavia") until Montenegro finally declared independence in 2006, putting final nail in Yugoslavia-in-everything-but-name's coffin.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Fun fact for Star Trek fans (Paucle probably knows this due to a previous avatar of his), the Basheir guy from Sudan is a relative (uncle?) of Siddig El-Fadil/Alexander Siddig, who played Dr. Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine! (A quick look around doesn't tell me definitively if they named the character that for that reason, best I could tell was that the character was renamed shortly before filming of the pilot began, but no indication why he was renamed.)
At least he didn't change to his full name: Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi :)

And in a nice little coincidence, he and his then-wife Nana Visitor (Major Kira) had a child, whom they name Django (no relation to the unchained guy from tonight).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mark skipped the Giants in Game 7 to watch Jeopardy!. Now, that's a fan of the show.
I saw the runs scored earlier in the game and the 8th & 9th innings thanks to having Survivor on hold. That was good enough for me. Delaying J! was not something I needed to do.

Seeing other posts in this thread reminded me of one of the other odd pronunciations we heard tonight with "D-Jango." You could know guitarist Reinhardt or have seen the Tarantino movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ae590hensE
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:Jennifer was introduced as being from Utah. Stanford must be a bad word there because she gave her response like it was painful to say it.
I noticed that, too. Maybe she's a Cal grad.
JJessen

Post by JJessen »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Jennifer was introduced as being from Utah. Stanford must be a bad word there because she gave her response like it was painful to say it.
I noticed that, too. Maybe she's a Cal grad.
Was it that obvious? :/

Stanford isn't a bad word in Utah, it's just a bad word to me. Mostly because I wasted $100 and about a month of my life building the perfect application and got back a six-sentence form rejection saying apparently I wasn't good enough for them.

But I did the math, and it's several times harder to get onto Jeopardy than it is to get accepted into Stanford or any other Ivy-League level school. And if nothing else, that month spent working on the application gave me the right answer when I needed it. Take that, Cardinals.

And yeah, if I'd gotten Twilight, I would have responded similarly. :)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Ryno wrote:
Well played game overall. The "Anna Karenina" response sounded as if she had only seen the title in print, but had never heard it pronounced. Tough game for pronunciations. I had "Barnabus" instead of "Barabas".
Few English speakers say Anna correctly anyway.

Another T.S. Eliot here.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Add me to the T.S. Eliot room of shame. It's getting crowded in here.