Tuesday, November 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

scottsol
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by scottsol »

To be sure, no reasonable person would ever call Finland a northeastern neighbor of the Soviets, but a 1939 map shows that some areas of Finland were indeed northeast of some Soviet territory. Water routes would be required to make a northeastern trip and the extent of these areas is tiny compared to total border size, but the relationship did exist.

On the other hand, as of March 13, 1940 the areas Finland ceded to the Soviets created a land border with Norway, some of which put Soviet territory southwest of Norwegian lands.

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cat ... r_1939.png

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Petsamo.png
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

John Boy wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Well, one more thing: what were those wagers!?
Both Jason and Casey deserved to lose because of that lousy wagering strategy. JMO
Amen, and amen. Just awful.
I wasn't crazy about Caitlin's strategy either. It worked out for her today, but her wager mandated that she get it correct to win. A bet of no more than $500 would've given her the win on a triple stumper, assuming the other two wagered logically (which they obviously didn't).
Shepherd492

Post by Shepherd492 »

Robert K S wrote:
Shepherd492 wrote:I guess the Finland thing works if by "the part in Europe,' Alex meant Kaliningrad, the exclave west of the country proper. Still a really bad clue.
But was that part of the Soviet Union at the time? Or part of Germany (as Königsberg)? (I have ancestors from there.)

ETA: According to Wikipedia, the Red Army did not capture (the ruins of) Königsberg until 1945. The clue referred to February 1940. Except for a brief period during the Seven Years' War (1758-1763), the Russians never controlled the region until the end of WWII. It had been German (or Prussian) for centuries. So, I don't think you can say Kaliningrad was part of the Soviet Union in Feb. 1940.
I was just trying to throw something up to see if it stuck, I would wager that I still spent more time looking at a modern map and trying to rationalize it than J! did on either that clue or the final yesterday.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

floridagator wrote:What the L was that about Finland being a northwesterly neighbor of the Soviet Union? Is that the most serious error that has ever been aired on Jeopardy!
What about that horrible Bible FJ a few years ago? I don't remember the details, but they screwed it up so badly that Alex had to tape an apology.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Woppy T wrote:
floridagator wrote:What the L was that about Finland being a northwesterly neighbor of the Soviet Union? Is that the most serious error that has ever been aired on Jeopardy!
What about that horrible Bible FJ a few years ago? I don't remember the details, but they screwed it up so badly that Alex had to tape an apology.
Oh yeah, that was a mess.

Short version for Woppy: The clue was "Acts 1:13 says this event occurred in 'an upper room'." Elaine says "Last Supper" and is ruled correct, Aaron says "Pentecost" and is ruled incorrect, but after the fact, is given the money for having a correct response because it turns out neither is mentioned in Acts 1:13 and the clue actually has no correct response. Fortunately, this didn't affect the outcome, since there were only two players and Aaron had a lock. You can also check that game's thread.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Woppy T wrote:
Oh yeah, that was a mess.

Short version for Woppy: The clue was "Acts 1:13 says this event occurred in 'an upper room'." Elaine says "Last Supper" and is ruled correct, Aaron says "Pentecost" and is ruled incorrect, but after the fact, is given the money for having a correct response because it turns out neither is mentioned in Acts 1:13 and the clue actually has no correct response. Fortunately, this didn't affect the outcome, since there were only two players and Aaron had a lock. You can also check that game's thread.
thanks
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I did guess correctly (or at least, guessed the answer they wanted), but if the word "perhaps" appears in the clue, maybe it isn't a good clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Election coverage delayed the airing of the game until 1:30 in the a.m., so late is better than never.

I have not played the look alike game in a while. Casey reminded me a lot of Ana Gasteyer.

It's not interesting enough to poll. I had sonar. Who had echolocation?

For Skyler White I get that "Sky" is not her first name, but I've seen generous prompts on much worse responses. My instincts tell me she was called just "Sky" on more than one occasion. I guess a nickname is not a first name, so outright neg as far as the judges go. "Sky" is certainly unusual enough to fit the category.

When I saw the FJ! clue I had a brief detour to write "Tedd" before switching to Taft. My first thought was took over for dead President and then elected, so more time than regular term before quickly realizing there have been plenty of full two term guys that lasted longer than TR. Being in that time frame made it easy to fit Taft to the wording for the proper change in response.

Costly error for Jason and in game one it can be even harder to get over it. In 30 seconds there is enough time usually to read the clue, write a response, reread the clue and recheck your response. Especially when it's not too much to write.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

lieph82 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Did anybody know this fact about Taft prior to today?
No, because the fact isn't true. Look, I said Taft, because I get J! writers at this point and "OMG TAFT WENT ON TO BE CHIEF JUSTICE" is one of their favorite facts. That's clearly what they were going for with "fittingly." But God help them if someone said Andrew Jackson. Do your freaking research. There are only 43 of them. Unbelievable.
Is this 'Jeopardy!' or 'Idiocracy'? 'Ow, My Incorrect Responses Balls!'
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Get it? "Perhaps fittingly"? He was really fat, so clothes only fit him so well
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:For Skyler White I get that "Sky" is not her first name, but I've seen generous prompts on much worse responses. My instincts tell me she was called just "Sky" on more than one occasion. I guess a nickname is not a first name, so outright neg as far as the judges go. "Sky" is certainly unusual enough to fit the category.
May be more that Sky (or Skye) is a first name in its own right.

I'd suspect that she was called that on the rare occasion, but probably by someone like Ted Beneke more than Walt.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:I'd suspect that she was called that on the rare occasion, but probably by someone like Ted Beneke more than Walt.
She's definitely referred to as Sky quite often on the show, but it's not her name.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:I'd suspect that she was called that on the rare occasion, but probably by someone like Ted Beneke more than Walt.
She's definitely referred to as Sky quite often on the show, but it's not her name.
That seems a bit strict. Joseph Tribbiani was often referred to as Joey on Friends. Ditto Jerome Seinfeld. Would you require a full first name for either of those characters? What about Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote:That seems a bit strict. Joseph Tribbiani was often referred to as Joey on Friends. Ditto Jerome Seinfeld. Would you require a full first name for either of those characters? What about Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce?
Yeah, I agree. I think they should have taken it, but I can also see why they might not. None of these other characters were typically referred to by their given names. At the very minimum you'd think it would warrant a BMS, though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Austin Powers wrote:Get it? "Perhaps fittingly"? He was really fat, so clothes only fit him so well
I was going to say Taft is known for having gotten stuck in something...

I think I can reverse engineer Jason's wager. As was posted before, Caitlin's best bet normally would have been $500 or less, which gives her $6,600 max. Jason fell to exactly $6,600. I think it's a little more likely that he just underwagered by $1,000, but all the same it would have been a happy coincidence for him if Caitlin had been playing the "win on a triple stumper" strategy.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:That seems a bit strict. Joseph Tribbiani was often referred to as Joey on Friends. Ditto Jerome Seinfeld. Would you require a full first name for either of those characters? What about Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce?
It seems more than a bit strict. If the character had been called that by another character, it should be is most definitely a valid response. Would they not take Squiggy or Potsie (for Andrew or Warren)?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Yeah, I agree. I think they should have taken it, but I can also see why they might not. None of these other characters were typically referred to by their given names. At the very minimum you'd think it would warrant a BMS, though.
My problem with it was twofold. Yes she was called Sky quite frequently so it should be a BMS and second, Skyler/Skylar is not that unusual of a name (for boys or girls) and hasn't been for 10-15 years.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Maybe the likelihood that she'd been called Sky just didn't occur to any of the judges at the time of taping. I didn't think twice about the ruling (except that it caused me to get the rebound!) and didn't realize the problem till I saw this discussion. Sometimes things just slip by...it's been happening to the writers why not the judges?
Last edited by davey on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: It's not interesting enough to poll. I had sonar. Who had echolocation?
(raises hand)