Tuesday, November 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cutlaaah
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cutlaaah »

Terrible ruling on that Finland question. Since Norway is in no way northeast of the USSR, the only party who could have been injured by the bad wording is Jason, who might have been confused and not rang in with a guess of Finland. Not only does the overrule not compensate him, it gives money to his opponent.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

cutlaaah wrote:Terrible ruling on that Finland question. Since Norway is in no way northeast of the USSR, the only party who could have been injured by the bad wording is Jason, who might have been confused and not rang in with a guess of Finland. Not only does the overrule not compensate him, it gives money to his opponent.
I didn't immediately notice the misdirection in the clue, though the phrasing struck me as strange.

I got the clue from knowing who Mannerheim was.
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: It's not interesting enough to poll. I had sonar. Who had echolocation?
(raises hand)
(squeak squeak click trill squawksqeak)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: It's not interesting enough to poll. I had sonar. Who had echolocation?
(raises hand)
(squeak squeak click trill squawksqeak)
Yes, I guess my method wouldn't be particularly effective.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

cutlaaah wrote:Terrible ruling on that Finland question. Since Norway is in no way northeast of the USSR, the only party who could have been injured by the bad wording is Jason, who might have been confused and not rang in with a guess of Finland. Not only does the overrule not compensate him, it gives money to his opponent.
Agreed poorly phrased clue but please to check your geopolitical map of Northern Europe, you will find that Norway does indeed share its extreme NE border with Russia (Formerly CCCP):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway

I think Mannerheim Line was the real TOM here they are referring to the Finno-Soviet Winter War of 1939. Instaget for persons of Finnish ancestry (yes I am!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:... but please to check your geopolitical map of Northern Europe, you will find that Norway does indeed share its extreme NE border with Russia (Formerly CCCP):
You point being...?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

I went with Bush for FJ. After all, he was "appointed" by the supreme court, making it "fitting" for him to then appoint most justices. :D
Robert K S wrote:
cosmos wrote:Did I hear them accept transport machine?
He said "transporter machine".
After listening to it multiple times, I think he says "transport machine", but I can hear it both ways.

I said "beamer" myself, judges?
thenextofken wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Well, one more thing: what were those wagers!?
Both Jason and Casey deserved to lose because of that lousy wagering strategy. JMO
Amen, and amen. Just awful.
I wasn't crazy about Caitlin's strategy either. It worked out for her today, but her wager mandated that she get it correct to win. A bet of no more than $500 would've given her the win on a triple stumper, assuming the other two wagered logically (which they obviously didn't).
Perhaps both Jason and Caitlin guessed correctly that Casey wouldn't know what to bet to lock out Caitlin. I certainly wasn't surprised by Casey's underbet. So Caitlin's all in is not horrible, and like someone noted, his 500 works if Caitlin bets for a TS.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goatman wrote:
Agreed poorly phrased clue but please to check your geopolitical map of Northern Europe, you will find that Norway does indeed share its extreme NE border with Russia (Formerly CCCP):
Norway's NE border is with Russia/USSR, but that means Russia is NE of Norway, not the other way around. Norway is, indeed, no way NE of Russia. (Canada's southern border is with the US, does that mean Canada is south of the US?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:(Canada's southern border is with the US, does that mean Canada is south of the US?)
Absolutely! I am sure you have heard of that Alaska place. :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:(Canada's southern border is with the US, does that mean Canada is south of the US?)
Absolutely! I am sure you have heard of that Alaska place. :mrgreen:
I thought you guys referred to Alaska as "Occupied Canada".
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

scottsol wrote:To be sure, no reasonable person would ever call Finland a northeastern neighbor of the Soviets, but a 1939 map shows that some areas of Finland were indeed northeast of some Soviet territory. Water routes would be required to make a northeastern trip and the extent of these areas is tiny compared to total border size, but the relationship did exist.

On the other hand, as of March 13, 1940 the areas Finland ceded to the Soviets created a land border with Norway, some of which put Soviet territory southwest of Norwegian lands.

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cat ... r_1939.png

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Petsamo.png
wasn't Lake Ladoga the border, and northeast of Leningrad?
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

alietr wrote:The clue said something about the Soviet Union's northeastern neighbor; Finland is clearly the USSR's northwestern neighbor. Even Alex's explanation of the mistake didn't make sense.

Yeah, that FJ hurt, especially with FDR in the clue.
I went with Eisenhower because they referenced the middle name of his running mate in the double jeopardy category “Unusual TV first names.”