Monday, November 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, November 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S »

Is this the paper you're thinking of (2003)?

(According to this it wasn't finally published until September 2011.)

For my own reasons, I am very disappointed with the scholarship here. To wit, the paragraph:
...it is a safe assumption that the competitors have watched prior Tournaments of Champions or have visited one of the myriad websites that recap Jeopardy! games question by question, bet by bet, and as a result are aware of qualifying scores.[FN5]
Then down at footnote 5:
5 For example, the Jeopardy! website (http://www.jeopardy.com/) and Brian Dominy’s Jeopardy! Database of Champions (http://www.oddchange.com/jdoc) both offer these types of data.
Um, wha...?
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Ben and Rebecca looked so genteel on stage, I almost did not recognize them. :) Props to them both for stellar play!

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Robert K S wrote:Is this the paper you're thinking of (2003)?

(According to this it wasn't finally published until September 2011.)
I can't access the first link, but given the 9/11 link I think it must be the one. The later paper is considerably more refined and lengthy. Good thing TPTB don't like me enough for me to have to read it. :)

Rex
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Rex Kramer wrote:I can't access the first link
Fixed; spurious zero at end of URL
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Robert K S wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I can't access the first link
Fixed; spurious zero at end of URL
Thanks. Now I am not so sure that the 2003 paper is the one I'm thinking of. I do not recall it going into detail about the players' relative decision-making strategies; it was a pretty straightforward analysis of the optimal betting strategy for wildcards in isolation, and pretty plainly concluded that there was a particular cutoff (now I see it was $8000) below which it recommended you bet everything, and above which it recommended you stand pat. (I don't know if that $8000 is in pre-doubled figures.) The name of one of the authors looks familiar, though, so maybe it was a predecessor article.

Rex
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Based on their discussion of data sources I think they were using pre-doubled figures, but then I question what their numbers actually mean. In their final published paper they say that $8,000 gives "an 80% chance of advancing" on a wildcard. Keith thinks the average cutoff for ToC wildcard slots is more along the lines of $10,800 (postdoubled), but with $5,800 std. dev. His numbers will have to be updated in a couple weeks.

Satisfied that the wager in this case was too small--but not that the wager should have been everything, or even everything but a dollar.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

Robert K S wrote:Based on their discussion of data sources I think they were using pre-doubled figures, but then I question what their numbers actually mean. In their final published paper they say that $8,000 gives "an 80% chance of advancing" on a wildcard. Keith thinks the average cutoff for ToC wildcard slots is more along the lines of $10,800 (postdoubled), but with $5,800 std. dev. His numbers will have to be updated in a couple weeks.

Satisfied that the wager in this case was too small--but not that the wager should have been everything, or even everything but a dollar.
A quick glance at the post double cutoffs seems to suggest that a figure somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000 would give you an 80% chance of advancing. So if their math still holds, anything below that range would require an all in and anyone above that should stand pat.