Wednesday, November 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by evanakm »

mxc_takeshi wrote: I'm surprised that Julia lost, but she still has a chance, pending 2 more games' results.
Probably more than just a chance. Obviously it's not guaranteed, but she's very likely in. Three runner-ups (runners-up?) have to beat her score in two games. One hard FJ tomorrow and that's it.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

cosmos wrote:Did I see spoiler about next week in J! promo during break before FJ?
Spoiler
It looked like Arthur and Julia playing against each other, although I could very well be wrong.
I thought I saw more than what you say. If the shots are from actual games then they did a bad job off editing, but it won't be first time.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

They often use shots from rehearsal games for promos, but I didn't see this particular one.
Instaget FJ. On that note, I'm now 2/3 for ToC FJs. How did this happen?
Add me to the list of people who were surprised that Julia wagered anything. She's one of my favorite contestants of all time (though I love prefty much everyone in this ToC), so I really hope she gets in, along with Rebecca.
In terms of my fantasy ToC, I made up for yesterday by correctly predicting that Joshua makes the semis.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, I ran the Country category.

I thought Hindenburg was by far the easiest in The 30's. That and Swiss Confederation should've been swapped.

Before & After tripped me up because I call it a glove box, and "Box" being at both ends derailed my thought process.

NHO Finding Neverland. Disappointed that my precall of Highlander didn't appear, but Land Before Time coming up almost made up for it.

I knew the eye part had "conjunct" in it, but wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Two word Latin phrase? Habeas corpus briefly surfaced, but I dismissed it because I didn't think it'd be in the constitution. Spent the entire 30 seconds spinning my wheels and thinking "this is gonna be stupid obvious after the fact", and ended up with a blank.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

After
Spoiler
George Reeves
was used in yesterday's game I wondered if the "land" category would include
Spoiler
Hollywoodland (2006), the plot of which surrounds his death.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

[quote="TenPoundHammer"]Yes, I ran the Country category.

No surprise. You know, of course, that Sunday Morning Comin Down was written by Kris Kristofferson, not Johnny Cash. Both sing the hell out of it though.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

It was so great to see Julia play again. Very fascinating as well to watch Joshua in action. The only game of his I ever saw was his last one as I only started watching on a regular basis beginning with the last ToC.

Did somewhat well in the first round, pretty okay in the second round and once again, as usual, had no clue about FJ! This brings up a question I've been struggling with a lot lately. With categories like the one we saw in FJ! and other catergories with similar content, are Canadian contestants (and hopefuls) at a disadvantage due to the amount of American content e.g. historical facts? Or am I merely uneducated? This is actually one of the biggest reasons I've never seriously considered trying out for the show.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In her spot a zero bet would be fine. But my nature would force me to bet something just for the heck of it, especially with a category where I have a pretty good chance of getting it right. I'd probably bet $13.

The HELOC scared me, as we are in the process of taking out a home equity loan.

Instaget FJ.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Paging RKane. Critics can point to her uncreative wager or say she looked a little rusty, but I don't think anyone can watch that game and say she didn't deserve to be there. I hope the score holds up!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AdamAnt wrote:With categories like the one we saw in FJ! and other catergories with similar content, are Canadian contestants (and hopefuls) at a disadvantage due to the amount of American content e.g. historical facts? Or am I merely uneducated? This is actually one of the biggest reasons I've never seriously considered trying out for the show.
The US-centrism puts you at a slight disadvantage. But you make up for that with your superior education and the extra brain space you have available because it isn't being used to figure out your healthcare options.
Golf

Post by Golf »

lieph82 wrote:Paging RKane. Critics can point to her uncreative wager or say she looked a little rusty, but I don't think anyone can watch that game and say she didn't deserve to be there. I hope the score holds up!
Her wager wasn't uncreative, she bet for the win as opposed to betting 0. She played solid and I read she was also sick during taping. I'd like to see her play another game against even better competition to see what transpires.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Golf wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Paging RKane. Critics can point to her uncreative wager or say she looked a little rusty, but I don't think anyone can watch that game and say she didn't deserve to be there. I hope the score holds up!
Her wager wasn't uncreative, she bet for the win as opposed to betting 0. She played solid and I read she was also sick during taping. I'd like to see her play another game against even better competition to see what transpires.
Huh? I'm not sure how you can call her wager creative. I didn't say the wager was bad. She played for the win, which many people predicted she'd do in any situation. Fine. But if you wanted to critique her performance, you could point to the fact that a more unorthodox wager (unorthodox for her at least, considering her go-to move is cover+100) probably gives her a better chance of making the semis, as some people here have.
Last edited by lieph82 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

One of the knocks on Julia Collins has been that she doesn't really get the strategy of the show, and this one may have cost her. Her situation was very similar to Tom Nissley in his quarterfinal of the 2011 ToC with Jay Rhee in the Joshua Brakhage position. Nissley bet $3 in FJ. Regardless of a right or wrong answer, it's just a much smarter bet.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3751
Golf

Post by Golf »

lieph82 wrote: Huh? I'm not sure how you can call her wager creative. I didn't say the wager was bad. She played for the win, which many people predicted she'd do in any situation. Fine. But if you wanted to critique her performance, you could point to the fact that a more unorthodox wager (unorthodox for her at least, considering her go-to move is cover+100) probably gives her a better chance of making the semis, as some people here have.
Would you call a $0 wager creative?

I just think her options were binary and she chose one. But I would agree she is not a wagering savant.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Golf wrote:
lieph82 wrote: Huh? I'm not sure how you can call her wager creative. I didn't say the wager was bad. She played for the win, which many people predicted she'd do in any situation. Fine. But if you wanted to critique her performance, you could point to the fact that a more unorthodox wager (unorthodox for her at least, considering her go-to move is cover+100) probably gives her a better chance of making the semis, as some people here have.
Would you call a $0 wager creative?

I just think her options were binary and she chose one. But I would agree she is not a wagering savant.
No, I think something around $2 would be relatively creative and her best option. $0 would be just fine, playing for the win is defensible but probably slightly less rational.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This was one of the better played TOC games IMO, and Julia certainly showed why she's in there. I was rather aghast like the rest of you that she didn't get FJ (an instaget for me) and that she didn't sit pat on 16200. Now, the long wait...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No one knew the microscope? :cry: I rode that thing multiple times in a row once the ticket system was eliminated. If only all amusement park ride lines could move so quickly.

The AMC cars were another bit from the time machine as it was fun to spot those back in the day.

After three games Jim is in wildcard contention. It was not a smooth game for him, yet he gave himself a shot at moving on.

Not the kind of thing to poll, but I would think "After Joshua" would beat "Before Joshua" about 90%-10% on the makeover scale. The wager up to 16206 would have been hilarious if Julia went to 16207 or 16205. I thought Arthur or Andrew might be the type to make the wager Julia did. I expected 0-199. My wager would have been 198.

Julia would have been a goner if she did not pull out that Gambling DD. Good for her to take her time and work it out. Extra time is available for DD solves and she wisely used some of it.

The FJ! category had me think about the different amendments and the numbers I knew. A Latin word thing is not for me. Pro Bono was my mental heads call over Nolo Contendere at tails. Sure, if I had thought of Habeas Corpus I would have gone with that one.

Spoiler commenting about FJ! clue results from Monday and Tuesday.
Spoiler
Each FJ! clue has gone 2/3 so far. That's great and fair to have the difficulty come out about even. I don't expect it to hold with Thursday and Friday presenting one brutal clue and one softball.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Add me to the list of those surprised when I saw the wager that Julia bet.

Weak game for me, best category, movie "land": 3/5

Lach Trash: Copland

Would "Switzerland" be an acceptable answer for the 30s category question?

Also, no clue on FJ, thought "Pro Bono"
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Got at least 75% of J! round but very little of DJ! round. Couldn't come up with a response for Final J!.

Very surprised by Julia's wager -- she would have been in a good spot with $16k and almost certainly would've made the wildcard spot. Not quite sure what she was thinking there -- did she think she knew the U.S. Constitution well enough to wager something kind of substantial and get it right? In almost any case, there's a greater chance of getting a wildcard spot and Joshua defeating her than her getting it right and wagering the amount she did, in any category, really.

Also, I noticed they didn't list her job on the intros -- she mentioned she was unemployed in her regular games. She can't still be unemployed after all those wins and fame? :shock:
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I'm happy Julia did not make a too small wager on the DD. If she had bet only $1000, say, it would have been a much closer game where wagering to win on a FJ she did not know would have been more likely to knock her out.