Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Thursday, November 13, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya »

Maybe they do it to illustrate that the "less than a minute to go" does mean something, and to encourage contestants not to "quell the mo'."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

At least it's not like those celeb games in 2008, where they were leaving literally half the board behind in each round. Only in that case, it was because they had a singer perform for 45 seconds as part of a Daily Double.

There was also a game in the MDCI where Alex said "Less than a minute" with ±10 clues left on the board, and they hit the beeps AFTER THE VERY NEXT CLUE.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

boson wrote:Does anyone have a good estimate of how much work it would take to edit down 30 seconds or so from the show to fit in the allotted time?
I'm not a professional, but I am certain I could do it in under fifteen minutes.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I will say I noticed when I was Archiving Friday's game the interviews took up a lot less space than they usually do in the editing area.

Take that for what you will.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

Robert K S wrote:All but a small minority of Alex clues are read in between 4-7 seconds. Occasionally a video in a special category (like THE ROOSEVELTS) will stretch that out to 10 seconds. Most Clue Crew clues go about 13 seconds, or about the same amount of time it would take to go through one more clue (if they had been written for Alex to read instead).
Okay, so in regular games, the average time to read a clue is, what, just under 6 seconds? If you shaved the average down by, say, three-quarters of a second, then you've saved 45 seconds per game. That's enough for three more clues without any special editing. In regular games, how frequently are there more than three clues left unrevealed?

Of course, in QF games where a lot of wrong answers are given, you'd still have to employ extra editing in postproduction, cutting out parts of the contestant interviews, but the need to do that would be infrequent if you've reduced the average clue length by about 10% as I mentioned.

Now, I haven't done an empirical analysis to confirm that the average clue length in QF tournament games is less than in regular games. That sort of difference would not be noticeable just by glancing at the density of games in the archive. It would be interesting to try to confirm or disprove this using data in the J! Archive (obviously using character count, or perhaps word count, as a proxy for number of seconds to read the clue).
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

I have come from the past, a lowly J! acolyte, to share with you all the glory that you all may have missed in this episode. (For those wondering about the 1/9.5-month delay, it's harvesting season on the El Jefe ranch)

I rarely watch the postgame milling/credits sequence but this one featured a land-mine of awesomeness (and none commented on it here, anywho):

Terry won all the galaxies!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got Paul VI (put the last few pontiffs on your short list study guide) but found it odd no pope ever got on a plane before 1964.
Well, until 1929 and the Lateran Treaty, they hadn't even left Rome in hundreds of years. Then, the combination of war, advanced age, failing health and tradition meant that it wasn't until the relatively young, modernist Paul VI that a Pope that traveled enough to use an airplane was even thought about. A detour into the Vatican is well worth the time for your short list.
Just wanted to publicly thank Tom for helping me get the question right on LL yesterday. When he made this post, I thought that it would make a good LL question. Granted, it got me zero points and would have tied even if I missed it, but it still helps my woefully low TCA score.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

cutlaaah wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:21 pm I guess I'm the only one who didn't find these boards troubling, and who's actively rooting against Julia.
i wonder if she will be rooting against you tonight in your effort to move her down to 3rd on all time consecutive games won list