FJs for the 11/10/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 11/10/14 week?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:53 pm

This is the only state that honors a former U.S. Secretary of State with his own legal holiday
40%
As of 2013, this 3-letter verb common in sports, theater & politics has the largest entry in the online OED
59%
The 3 Latin phrases found in the Constitution are "pro tempore", "ex post facto" & this legal 2-word phrase
59%
These 2 islands that begin with the same letter, are linked by the 33.5-mile Seikan rail tunnel, the world's longest in operation
68%
In an 1893 opera that was its composer's greatest success, Peter & Gertrud are the parents of these 2 characters
84%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
13%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
INTERNATIONAL FESTIVALS $2000: The name of this major Hindu festival is derived from Sanskrit for "row of lights"
53%
ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY $2000: Though it doesn't look like one, the name of this piece of flesh that hangs from the soft palate means "little grape"
77%
FLORIDA GEOGRAPHY $600: Named for a president & developed around a ford in the St. Johns river, it's Florida's most populous city
74%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Virginia.
22%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was "set."
11%
My incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue was "pro bono."
6%
For the Thursday FJ! clue I had Honshu or Hokkaido, but not both of them.
10%
Arggh! Tiller, bulkhead, yardarm, jib, and ratlines had me walk the plank with an 0/5 in Thursday's COME SAIL AWAY category.
38%
Ya landlubbers! Tiller, bulkhead, yardarm, jib, and ratlines was a 5/5 run for me in Thursday's COME SAIL AWAY category.
8%

Total votes: 152

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: FJs for the 11/10/14 week

Post by barandall800 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

0/5 on the "Come Sail Away" category. (My roommate was watching with me for a moment during that category, and started to say "jib" for each one because that was the only ship term he could think of. He ended up being right after a few clues. :D)

5/5 on a TOC week? What?!?!? And what's crazier, four out of five of them were instagets. (Tuesday, it came pretty quickly, but my first guess was "try," thinking of rugby.) It appears we have entered...the Twilight Zone... [insert ominous music here] :o

To bring me back down to earth, these were admittedly pretty gettable clues, especially for a TOC. I'm a bit surprised Monday's get rate is so low, but it would be pretty easy to get off track and go for another Secretary of State.
Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Monday: What is Alaska? Also considered Virginia (Jefferson) and Texas (thinking perhaps Austin or Houston had been Secretary of State; they hadn't, but more importantly, I live in Texas and had never heard of a holiday in either man's honor).
Tuesday: What is "lie?" I considered too many others to list, but "run" never came to mind. Nearly everything didn't really work for one of the three fields, and I figured if I was going to be wrong I may as well make myself smile about it.
Wednesday: What is "habeus [sic] corpus?" Came quickly.
Thursday: What are Honshu and H [rest of response blank]? I figured it was Japan, but the only island name that occurred to me in time was Honshu.
Friday: [no answer, I didn't even try, but I was completely on the wrong track and Hansel and Gretel probably wouldn't have come to mind.]

Yep, 0/5 in Come Sail Away. Marvel category aside (an easy 5/5), I'd just as soon forget Thursday's game.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Tuesday, the brain lighted on "set" and evidently congealed there.

"Bulkhead" saved me from a washout in the sailing category.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Monday I ended up with Tennessee because I got it in my head that Jackson was SoS. Thursday I had the right country but went Kanto-Kyuushu instead.

Edit: I must say, I'm kinda shocked that the opera category is polling high 80s and leading.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

"Hit" for the OED clue. It was all I could come up within 30 seconds, even though I didn't see a political connection in it.

Playing from the archive, in the sailing category, bulkhead was the only one I knew for sure. I thought of "jib" on the clue that called for it, but may not have been confident enough to ring in on it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But I did get shut out on Come Sail Away.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|

I got habeas corpus quickly but was sure I was wrong, that it was in legal cases interpreting the Constitution but not in the document itself. Spent the rest of the time trying to think of something else, but went with habeas corpus.

I love sailing as an occasional passenger but don't know enough terminology - I got jib but missed the rest (I've heard of three of the other four but couldn't pull them -- and I'd only heard of bulkhead in connection with larger boats, specifically remembering a discussion of the water coming in over the bulkheads on the Titanic since they didn't go high enough).
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I thought Monday's FJ was either Virginia or Louisiana, and went 3/5 in the Come Sail Away category (I think I said 4/5 in the game thread). I knew tiller and ratlines, but couldn't get them to come out of my mouth in time.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No clue on Monday, though Alaska was a major head slap. Best I could come up with on Tuesday was vet though I knew it didn't fit theater and couldn't possibly be the longest entry.
Hadn't heard of ratlines, was yelling bulkhead at the TV, and had heard of the other three but I know I didn't get all of them fast enough for sure.
Anyone else here learn the word bulkhead from Star Trek first, and applied to Earthly boats later?
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My first 5/5 week in (non-kids) FJ in a long, long time.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AAARRRGGGHHH. I already don't like Alaska ever since it displaced my native Texas as the nation's largest state (I still count Texas as the largest state in the union THAT IS COMPLETELY THAWED OUT, but I know that's sour grapes). Now I don't like it again for costing me a 5/5 FJ week in the ToC.

I've certainly had my share of 0/5 categories, but the nautical category wasn't one of them. IIRC I got 3 or 4 right.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote:AAARRRGGGHHH. I already don't like Alaska ever since it displaced my native Texas as the nation's largest state.
Are you sure you don't live in Cleveland?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

John Boy wrote:AAARRRGGGHHH. I already don't like Alaska ever since it displaced my native Texas as the nation's largest state (I still count Texas as the largest state in the union THAT IS COMPLETELY THAWED OUT, but I know that's sour grapes). Now I don't like it again for costing me a 5/5 FJ week in the ToC.

Well, it was completely thawed.
OCSam
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

went with "hit" and facepalm-ed on habeas corpus
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Virginia
blanked on the boats

For the season: 26-19
TOC: 3-2
Longest winning streak: 5 (active 1)
Longest losing streak: 2

5/5: 0
4/5: 1
3/5: 6
2/5: 2
1/5: 0
0/5: 0
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( "answered VA" :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
shutout on "Come Sail Away"
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Breakdown of board scores on FJs for the 11/10/14 week

Post by OrangeSAM »

After 140 respondents:

:mrgreen: 17 got all 5 FJ!s
;) 44 got 4 FJ!s
:) 37 got 3 FJ!s
:( 29 got 2 FJ!s
:oops: 12 got 1 FJ!
:eek: 1 got 0 FJ!s

Average: 3.16 FJ!s correct.

My responses went: :( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: / :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon.: Virginia

Wed: Brain freeze

Thur: Had Honshu, misplaced the vowels in the other.

3 for 5 on Come Sail Away
OCSam