Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Re: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by NYCScribbler »

Alas, o penguin, my family is not related to the yellow-painted truckers.

I am apparently possessed with the urge to do something awkward whenever a camera is pointed directly at me and I'm not doing anything else.

Even after hearing ad nauseam that the passage is about madeleines, I read that line over and still imagine something with a cream filling. Nooooope, no way on God's green earth I would have gotten that FJ short of being spotted either the author or part of the title.

The reason why I said the TDD might have been stupid was that during my regular run, when I went big on a DD (including a TDD) I got it wrong. Norse mythology is not a wheelhouse per se, but it's a category I'm familiar with from a lot of my reading; there are a couple of series(es?) I follow that use it.

They made us emote lots of emotions for teasers and such. I mean really over-emote. I mean *I* had to ham it up because I wasn't being expressive enough.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote: Opus, I thank you for your sage diligence, but I meant glass is a compound, not silicon; I did not confuse the element and compound.
I was actually an expert witness in a patent infringement case where the question of whether glass is a compound came up. Suffice it to say that the question is far from settled (but, if anyone is motivated to pay my $400/hr expert witnessing fee, I'll be happy to research the question for you). :roll:
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

NYCScribbler wrote:Alas, o penguin, my family is not related to the yellow-painted truckers.

I am apparently possessed with the urge to do something awkward whenever a camera is pointed directly at me and I'm not doing anything else.

Even after hearing ad nauseam that the passage is about madeleines, I read that line over and still imagine something with a cream filling. Nooooope, no way on God's green earth I would have gotten that FJ short of being spotted either the author or part of the title.

The reason why I said the TDD might have been stupid was that during my regular run, when I went big on a DD (including a TDD) I got it wrong. Norse mythology is not a wheelhouse per se, but it's a category I'm familiar with from a lot of my reading; there are a couple of series(es?) I follow that use it.

They made us emote lots of emotions for teasers and such. I mean really over-emote. I mean *I* had to ham it up because I wasn't being expressive enough.

Thank you for the explanation, it now makes sense.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats, Arthur. Well done as expected. You deserve congratulations as well, Rebecca, for a fine performance. And there definitely wouldn't have been anything to regret even if you had tanked the DD.

Zinc confused me because that was zinc oxide on his nose, and oxide clearly has a vowel that isn't an 'i', so then I retreated to just plain zinc.

While I know I was was off base and know little of ROTP, surely someone else must have come up with "Babette's Feast" for FJ? Please?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

alietr wrote:Congrats, Arthur. Well done as expected. You deserve congratulations as well, Rebecca, for a fine performance. And there definitely wouldn't have been anything to regret even if you had tanked the DD.

Zinc confused me because that was zinc oxide on his nose, and oxide clearly has a vowel that isn't an 'i', so then I retreated to just plain zinc.

While I know I was was off base and know little of ROTP, surely someone else must have come up with "Babette's Feast" for FJ? Please?
ZOMG DOH! Of course...> I was looking at his SPECTACLES I TOTALLY MISSED the point of this absurdly obvious clue! What is ZnO?! (Zn #30; alloyed with copper -> Brass; Cu + Sn -> Bronze (Age)!)

Yet another new meaning for "Plain as the tip of your nose..." ROFLMAO! What is SiO2 LMAO...

Other GTK Zn factoids; galvanizing metal, esp in bridge girders for anticorrosion, process disc circa 1800 by Galvani & Volta. Naming from German Zinke: prong/pinnacle/spike/tine(fork/rake).
In use as ointment in India 500 BCE and Greek Dr Dioscorides wrote it up in De Materia Medica around 100 CE, J-worthy info of itself as his book was a standard reference until the 17th century.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:Congrats, Arthur. Well done as expected. You deserve congratulations as well, Rebecca, for a fine performance. And there definitely wouldn't have been anything to regret even if you had tanked the DD.

Forget the category title, Andy? :oops:
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

NYCScribbler wrote:Alas, o penguin, my family is not related to the yellow-painted truckers.

You played a great game, Rebecca.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:oxide clearly has a vowel that isn't an 'i',

Which one? (There's two of 'em, you know. ;) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Read most of Proust in French in graduate school (it's challenging but worth it), and yet was totally thrown by "scallop pastry" (for madeleine) and "religious". I had a mini meltdown but my gut first response was the right answer. Don't know what I would have done under the lights. My dream FJ category, so the stakes were way too high. "Recall" should have erased all doubts.

Swann's Way has to be accepted because it's the book where the quote appears.

And I would have totally written the title in French. The category was French Literature!
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Friday's NY Times Crossword
Spoiler
Swann's Way Author is a clue, answer Proust
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:Friday's NY Times Crossword
Spoiler
Swann's Way Author is a clue, answer Proust
It'd have been even funnier if the author of the crossword was a boardie. (There's a few that have been lucky enough to get crosswords published in the NYT.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

mujason

Post by mujason »

Don't look at me. I'm 0-48 so far trying to get into the NYT crossword.
-Jason
davey

Post by davey »

legendneverdies wrote:
Silverfox wrote:In all of this talk about Julia and Arthur, I am focused on Ben. I had him picked as the final winner from the start.

I was surprised by the clue for Lauren Bacall. Her death was all over the national news, so I thought everyone knew about it.
Bacall did die the day after Robin Williams, which might have meant her death coverage was a little less than it otherwise would have been.
Elaine Stritch, Mark's response, also died this year and she is more associated with Broadway and appeared there more recently than Lauren Bacall, so it wasn't a bad guess...
boson wrote:
I thought it was pretty much a chestnut as well, and I was surprised two missed it. I might have tried to show off writing the title in French, but it would have backfired: I would have written "...de temps perdu" when it is "...du temps perdu". Yeah, showing off at that point is probably not a great idea.
I don't know why that wouldn't be accepted. We know it's not a spelling test and it's not a test of proper French pronunciation either.
I wanted to write the French title but I was afraid I'd leave one of those little words out entirely...

Madeleines weren't the only food Proust observed keenly-
"What fascinated me would be the asparagus, tinged with ultramarine and rosy pink which ran from their heads, finely stippled in mauve and azure, through a series of imperceptible changes to their white feet, still stained a little by the soil of their garden-bed: a rainbow loveliness that was not of this world. I felt that these celestial hues indicated the presence of exquisite creatures who had been pleased to assume vegetable form, who, through the disguise which covered their firm and edible flesh, allowed me to discern in this radiance of earliest dawn, these hinted rainbows, these blue evening shades, that precious quality which I should recognize again when, all night long after a dinner at which I had partaken of them, they played (lyrical and coarse in their jesting as the fairies in Shakespeare's Dream) at transforming my humble chamber into a bower of aromatic perfume."
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

The Cosby references were edited out of Mark's anecdote this time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Carpe Diem wrote:The Cosby references were edited out of Mark's anecdote this time.
It made for a very choppy edit. I bet people were wondering what that was all about.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:The Cosby references were edited out of Mark's anecdote this time.
It made for a very choppy edit. I bet people were wondering what that was all about.
Huh, and I didn't pay much attention to it. Anyone got the video?

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
Yeah, when Mark starts talking it seems like he is answering something that he had no way of knowing what Alex was inquiring about. It made Mark look like he was scatter brained.
There were two obvious snip outs that didn't flow well at all.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Category 13 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Yeah, when Mark starts talking it seems like he is answering something that he had no way of knowing what Alex was inquiring about. It made Mark look like he was scatter brained.
There were two obvious snip outs that didn't flow well at all.
I guess there isn't much they could have done if they wanted to cut out the Cosby references. At least the whole story wasn't about him, which is what Alex seemed to think when he began the interview.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

The last thing I will remember about Rebecca is when she stuck her tongue out at the camera.

Stay classy!