The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

You can buzz in and have time to run through the reindeer list in your head and give your question before time runs out.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

goatman wrote:Canadian Capital cities: Charlottetown, PEI; Edmonton (not Calgary, LOL!); Fredericton, Halifax, Montreal, Regina, St John's (DO NOT confuse with St JOHN of Nova Scotia!), Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg;
Iqualuit, White Horse, Yellow Knife first/last of territories)
Nope. Victoria.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

mennoknight wrote:
goatman wrote:Canadian Capital cities: Charlottetown, PEI; Edmonton (not Calgary, LOL!); Fredericton, Halifax, Montreal, Regina, St John's (DO NOT confuse with St JOHN of Nova Scotia!), Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg;
Nope. Victoria.
Thanks! So sleepy.... doh!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

seaborgium wrote:As a Jeopardy contestant, I can tell you that I didn't think about any possible list when the category was revealed (nor did I remember the repeat clues), and I believe I went 5/5. I guarantee you no contestant on the show had already thought about Santa's reindeer when that clue came up. I think contestants who do well in the category are able to quickly come up with an A or B item as the clue appears.
I was thinking the same thing. There was enough time to ask oneself if any of the reindeer names started with A. No? Let's try B.

More power to goatman and others who have memorized the alphabetic order of various things. This is a trivia show, after all. Not I, however.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

mahatma wrote:
seaborgium wrote:As a Jeopardy contestant, I can tell you that I didn't think about any possible list when the category was revealed (nor did I remember the repeat clues), and I believe I went 5/5. I guarantee you no contestant on the show had already thought about Santa's reindeer when that clue came up. I think contestants who do well in the category are able to quickly come up with an A or B item as the clue appears.
I was thinking the same thing. There was enough time to ask oneself if any of the reindeer names started with A. No? Let's try B.

More power to goatman and others who have memorized the alphabetic order of various things. This is a trivia show, after all. Not I, however.
LOL I've not memorized a darn thing, but having seen them once or twice sure helps to bring it up quickly, and if any of this gives a Boardie a slight edge then I can rest peacefully! As always PLEEZE submit corrections to this thread, I scrubbed the post 5 x now and still found errors. Hopefully cleaned up now! :P
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Then my problem is that I'm just too slow.

Also, "go to A or B" never occurred to me since a lot of the time, the Alphabetically First™ starts with C. Or G. Or M. Or Q.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

mennoknight wrote:
Nope. Victoria.
Also, the capital of Quebec is Quebec City (not Montreal, which is however the largest city in the province).
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

skullturf wrote:
mennoknight wrote:
Nope. Victoria.
Also, the capital of Quebec is Quebec City (not Montreal, which is however the largest city in the province).
Of course it is! Note to self: no more midnight scribbling! "As I pondered weak and weary, many a dusty tome of forgotten lore... nevermore!"

Fixed post for these three errors and several others I caught in morning's light, tyvm! :D
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Then my problem is that I'm just too slow.
Also, "go to A or B" never occurred to me since a lot of the time, the Alphabetically First™ starts with C. Or G. Or M. Or Q.
Generally, Jeopardy questions are written to be 'gettable'. If the intended answer was something in the middle of the order, the question would probably give another piece of information to help get there.

They might simply ask the third or fourth book of the Old (or New) Testament without additional info, but probably not the 13th (1 Chronicles; 1 Thessalonians).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alphabetically first or last does come up a good bit, so scanning the list wouldn't be a total waste of time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Then my problem is that I'm just too slow.
Wait, you're just figuring that out NOW? Ohhhhh.... That makes sense, I guess. :lol:

You're gonna laugh at that one in a couple of months.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILE

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote: Of course it is! Note to self: no more midnight scribbling! "As I pondered weak and weary, many a dusty tome of forgotten lore... nevermore!"
"O'er many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kansas Jayhawks is just as much sports as state trivia, so I get why you did not know it. Trust me, it's first box though.

Some other common ones:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Iowa Hawkeyes
Indiana Hoosiers
Minnesota Gophers
Oklahoma Sooners

Please tell me you know Michigan Wolverines.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Kansas Jayhawks is just as much sports as state trivia, so I get why you did not know it. Trust me, it's first box though.

Some other common ones:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Iowa Hawkeyes
Indiana Hoosiers
Minnesota Gophers
Oklahoma Sooners

Those all sound familar to various degrees except Hawkeyes. Guess I haven't been watching the state nicknames like a hawk.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goatman wrote:Now that you've learned all these alphabetical factoids, you may consider yourself an abecedarian!!
I was doing some research for an entry in the blog I maintain once and came across abecedarian, but Jeopardy! seems to have a different definition than what I found. I located in a few other places (but Wikipedia is the only one I remember, but it agreed with the other reputable sources I found) that abecedarian is (also?) an early Christian sect that *eschewed* learning the alphabet (and everything else), whereas Jeopardy! says it's someone who *does* learn the alphabet. Which is right?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My problem is that I don't think to start precalling when they come up, and have to wade through them all in the order that I know them, then go back through and figure out which one is first. They always catch me off guard. And with a massive list like "Countries of Africa", there's no way you're wading through that. If you don't lock onto Algeria right the hell away, then you're screwed.
Seaborgium's basically got the technique, you don't have to wade through the list of African countries.

Let's play a game, TPH. Quick, name the first African country that comes to your mind.

Now, quick, name the first African country that comes to your mind that starts with A.

Easier, right? You might not lock onto Algeria right away on the first one, but for the second one, unless you're a freak that says "Angola" first (and I definitely wouldn't expect you to, I mean who's heard of that) or "Aglaribdia" (and then I'd have to accuse you of making stuff up because there are only two A African countries) it's easier. Now, if they were to ask you who the first person alphabetically (by last name) is that appears on US paper currency, I'd understand if you thought that was a little trickier because thinking of presidents (and Founding Fathers) that start with A won't help you. Or B. Or C. You'd have to go all the way to
Spoiler
F (Benjamin Franklin)
to get it, and Jeopardy! probably wouldn't do that, at least not for a top 3 rows clue outside the TOC.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think I just wasn't ready for the category when it came up. As I said, I had to wade through all 8 of Santa's reindeer, and it doesn't help that the B one is usually the last one listed. "African countries" just short circuited my brain entirely and made me forget what few of them I do know, Algeria (which I most certainly have heard of, and would likely have gone "wait, isn't that the only A country in Africa?" had you not jogged my memory on Angola) or otherwise.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

MarkBarrett wrote:Kansas Jayhawks is just as much sports as state trivia, so I get why you did not know it. Trust me, it's first box though.

Some other common ones:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Iowa Hawkeyes
Indiana Hoosiers
Minnesota Gophers
Oklahoma Sooners

I'll be a homer and add Wisconsin Badgers to this list.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

nklotz wrote:I'll be a homer and add Wisconsin Badgers to this list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CDFn2i3I
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Badgers? We don' need no steekin' badgers!