The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Green Bay for Milwaukee. That seemed like a coinflip.
Green Bay is not a large city at all. It is by far the smallest city with a franchise in any of the "Big 4" North American sports leagues. The population of the city proper is barely 100,000, and the population of the metro area is around 300,000. Comparable numbers for "The Good Land" are 600,000 and 1,600,000.
TenPoundHammer wrote:How should I know what electrum is made of? There are lots of precious metals.
The only elements universally considered precious metals are gold, silver and platinum. Platinum is by far the rarest of the three. (It also wasn't discovered by Europeans until about 2,000 years after the time period referenced in the clue, but that's well beyond "top box" knowledge.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Kevin S. wrote:
BobF wrote:
Kevin S. wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:Thanks, bpmod, bobf and tph!

I just pissed away a half hour of my workday ;) . (mission accomplished) The old thread had some great stories and was a good read. I'm still learning how to negotiate the HTML so I can quote pieces without stringing long threads, so I didn't attempt to thread this response.

My next wish will be to see how y'all manage your game viewing. I'm not going to diminish my enjoyment by being strict; sometimes I pause the clue, sometimes I take credit because they answer so quick I would have gotten there also, and half the time I'm distracted. I treat it like my golf game; after I've hit 3 or 4 balls out from under trees, I'm done practicing that shot and I'm just going to move it where I can hit a real golf shot. At least I'm not hitting rolled up hedgehogs with a swan club (or however that story went). Anyhow, I'm sure there's an old thread about that, but I'll chase it down later...

thanks, and keep claven-ing
If you really want to keep an accurate score, record the game. When you watch the recording, keep your remote in your hand and use the pause button as your "signalling device." If you pause, it means you've rung in and have to answer within 15 seconds, right or wrong. If you don't pause, it's a "no ring" and you get no score even if you find out you knew the answer when it's revealed. It's a better way to play at home than using a pen or something as a "clicker" and trying to get your answer out before the contestant's.
If your goal is to someday get on the show, I find this method to be counterproductive. It would be similar to me hitting a ton of homers off of my son's pitching and thinking I could hit a major leaguer's pitch.

If your goal is just to gauge your knowledge base, then this method seems just fine.

Also, according to Wikipedia, the time limit is 5 seconds from when you ring in.
I used the "pause button" method in practice for my appearance. It was one of the few useful tips I got out of reviewing Jennings's "Brainiac" after I got "The Call."

Chief benefit I got was improving ring-in decisions -- over a couple of weeks, my ratio of ring-but-wrong to no-rings improved, and that was a major goal. I kept track of no-rings I actually guessed right along with ring-ins that were incorrect. If I got the right answer on more than half my no-rings, I pushed myself to be a little more aggressive when I wasn't sure and was dithering a bit.

The major disadvantage I found is that there is a very slight, almost imperceptible delay between pressing the pause button and the DVR actually freezing. It turned out that in trying to freeze the frame the instant AT was finished speaking, I was actually training myself to ring in a microsecond too early. Once on set, I wound up locking myself out of the first couple of questions until I adjusted my thumb timing.

Overall, though, I found it to be a useful practice techniques, and I think I derived some benefit from it.

Your five second statement does seem more reasonable than my original fifteen. I think that's about the time it takes the signal lights on the lectern to disappear. Maybe it just seems longer subjectively. I know when I was keyed up, it seemed like I processed a LOT of info during the think music. The wonders of adrenaline ......
Thanks for the insights, all youse guys. As a recreational watcher, I'm not going to get hardcore. A game like tonight's final of the College Tournament just reinforced that I'm going to go for enjoyment. I quit scoring halfway through so I could enjoy the game better. I'm not trying to emulate a game environment, but hope to catch some friendly categories and get 35 or 40 right someday.

I've been watching and scoring by using a grid on a spreadsheet and my laptop. However, the Forrest bouncers make it too distracting to follow the categories and dollar values. Ive mostly been trying to count right/wrong that I mentally "clicked" in, but sometimes the answer comes faster than my decision to clam or click. I'm mostly minding the right/wrong count and which categories I run or do well in, as well as FJ's. Very much like golf, I no longer need to play the ball down or score well to enjoy the game. I like to get a few pars and don't care about the double bogeys or the total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thanks for the insights, all youse guys. As a recreational watcher, I'm not going to get hardcore. A game like tonight's final of the College Tournament just reinforced that I'm going to go for enjoyment. I quit scoring halfway through so I could enjoy the game better. I'm not trying to emulate a game environment, but hope to catch some friendly categories and get 35 or 40 right someday.

I've been watching and scoring by using a grid on a spreadsheet and my laptop. However, the Forrest bouncers make it too distracting to follow the categories and dollar values. Ive mostly been trying to count right/wrong that I mentally "clicked" in, but sometimes the answer comes faster than my decision to clam or click. I'm mostly minding the right/wrong count and which categories I run or do well in, as well as FJ's. Very much like golf, I no longer need to play the ball down or score well to enjoy the game. I like to get a few pars and don't care about the double bogeys or the total.
I agree completely -- it's much more fun to yell at the TV screen, "C'mon you people, say XYZ" and thereby annoy the heck out of my wife (which is why she forced me to take the online test). I watch regularly, but very casually. The only time I buckled down and watched seriously with scorekeeping was in preparation.

But I did find an easy way to keep score on a previous contestant's blog. He/she recommended a grid like you described, but just a simple one on paper with six columns and five rows. Instead of keeping track of dollar amounts in each square or keeping a running total, he/she just put a + in square for a right answer, a - for an incorrect answer, and a 0 for a no-ring. Then, all you have to do is go down one row at a time -- 0s don't count, and cross off matching + and - as they cancel out. However many +s are left in a row, multiply by the row's value.

I used that for scorekeeping; made it easy to keep up with fast play and only took about 20-30 seconds to come up with a point total at the end of each round.

But Jeopardy! is entertainment, not a job. Like you, I watch for enjoyment. Sometimes doing a little extra makes it more enjoyable, sometimes not. I usually like keeping a scorebook while watching a baseball game, especially in person, but I don't always.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Blanked on Van Halen and Journey, can't say I've heard of INXS, got Chicago and Fleetwood Mac.
Have you heard of The Bee Gees and AC/DC? INXS would be the #3 rock group from Australia and they have been part of over a dozen J! clues. INXS has 7 Top 10 hits, a #1, and 11 Top 40 hits to go with being part of the initial season of Rock Star on CBS when they had a reality show competition to find a new lead singer to replaced deceased Michael Hutchence.

Two or three years from now when J! asks about them again I'll remind you of this post when they are not familiar to you. ;)

That category LEAD SINGERS FOR THE BAND would be a good one for one of my insta-polls (perhaps in a day or two) and at least you could check the boxes for knowing 40% of the acts.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote: "Private sector"? NHO sector in that context, or in the circular one.
Private sector is a really, really common term in current events, politics, and business. The private sector is industry that is not government owned and public sector is the part tied in to government.

Sector as a part of a circle is a bit more obscure. I don't see it used frequently.

Here are some INXS songs you might have heard on the radio but didn't know the name of the band:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I didn't know the name of their singers and missed the clue but I've heard of the band.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Have you heard of The Bee Gees and AC/DC? INXS would be the #3 rock group from Australia and they have been part of over a dozen J! clues.
Yes. And I don't get how anyone can listen to AC/DC. Brian Johnson sounds like Gilbert Gottfried if someone were constantly kicking him in the nuts.
MattKnowles wrote:Here are some INXS songs you might have heard on the radio but didn't know the name of the band:
Nope, not ringing any bells.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Because everyone recognizes basil on sight, right? Looking at that picture compared to pictures of actual basil, it just looks like any of a thousand zillion green leafy little herb things.
OK, you didn't recognize basil, but I have a feeling many people could. Also many people know what the ingredients of a margherita pizza are. This wasn't an easy clue, but not difficult either.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Because everyone recognizes basil on sight, right? Looking at that picture compared to pictures of actual basil, it just looks like any of a thousand zillion green leafy little herb things.
OK, you didn't recognize basil, but I have a feeling many people could. Also many people know what the ingredients of a margherita pizza are. This wasn't an easy clue, but not difficult either.
So it's easy if you know the fancy froufrou foods they love to have clues on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
So it's easy if you know the fancy froufrou foods they love to have clues on.
THIS JUST IN: PIZZA IS FROUFROU
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Are froufrou foods fancier or less fancy than hoity-toity foods?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:Are froufrou foods fancier or less fancy than hoity-toity foods?
Not necessarily, but the word "frou-frou" focuses on the fanciness. "Hoity-toity" focuses on the expense and how much better than everyone else the people eating it are.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I STILL cannot for the life of me remember whether AK or HI was 49th.
I remember it by remembering the nickname for Alaska, "The Last Frontier"

Alaska is the last frontier, but it is not the last state. Another poster pointed out that the show Hawaii 5-0 hints that Hawaii was the 50th state.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MattKnowles wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Another poster pointed out that the show Hawaii 5-0 hints that Hawaii was the 50th state.
And Hawaii 5-O does as well. OK, maybe not quite as well.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Green Bay for Milwaukee. That seemed like a coinflip.
Green Bay is not a large city at all. It is by far the smallest city with a franchise in any of the "Big 4" North American sports leagues. The population of the city proper is barely 100,000, and the population of the metro area is around 300,000. Comparable numbers for "The Good Land" are 600,000 and 1,600,000.
TenPoundHammer wrote:How should I know what electrum is made of? There are lots of precious metals.
The only elements universally considered precious metals are gold, silver and platinum. Platinum is by far the rarest of the three. (It also wasn't discovered by Europeans until about 2,000 years after the time period referenced in the clue, but that's well beyond "top box" knowledge.)
WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! AC: "The native American pronounciation is M'il-waa-kee, which means 'The Good Land.' Go Alice! :shock:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: NHO the final response.
Are you really claiming you've never heard of Ft. McHenry?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote:
Not ringing any bells.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
alietr wrote:
Not ringing any bells.
But is it bursting any bombs? Any glare from red rockets?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
alietr wrote:
Not ringing any bells.
Oh, that one. I am so actively disinterested in history and anything war related that it's ridiculous.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
alietr wrote:
Not ringing any bells.
Oh, that one. I am so actively disinterested in history and anything war related that it's ridiculous.
Not rooting for any one side doesn't mean you can't know what's going on. (this is a "disinterested vs. uninterested" riff)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:Not rooting for any one side doesn't mean you can't know what's going on. (this is a "disinterested vs. uninterested" riff)
Still accurate. The war happened so long ago that I didn't have a side. Uninterested is also true.

And yeah, people keep telling me things like "well, if this historic thing hadn't happened, then this, this, or this wouldn't have happened either; isn't that interesting?" and all I can say is "Well, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts..."