The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Bamaman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Elijah Baley wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Farragut and Mobile Bay come up quite a bit on the show.


Heck, TPH should just watch Gone With The Wind - Rhett Butler running the Northern blockade is referenced several times.


The Alabama was a blockade runner, maybe he was on it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7817
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Volante » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Why is Venus hotter than Mercury? That doesn't make any sense.


Tyson explained it in the answer.


I need to see the words to that clue again.

Greenhouse effect. Yes, the same one on Earth.
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 4690
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby This Is Kirk! » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:03 am

TPH wrote:How about a TOM or something in this clue, huh?!


I'm assuming you're referring to FJ. The TOM were the years given. The League of Nations was formed after WWI and started to crumble at the outset of WWII.
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Bamaman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:18 am

It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7817
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TPH wrote:How about a TOM or something in this clue, huh?!


I'm assuming you're referring to FJ. The TOM were the years given. The League of Nations was formed after WWI and started to crumble at the outset of WWII.


Again, I tuned out the years as irrelevant noise, and thought they were going for a "these names kinda sorta almost vaguely sound like they belong to a certain country" like they so often do.

Bamaman wrote:It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.


Still, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hottest in our solar system", why would you NOT knee-jerk Mercury?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Volante » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.


Still, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hottest in our solar system", why would you NOT knee-jerk Mercury?

1. Mercury isn't in the habitable zone.
2. Mercury doesn't have an atmosphere.
3. You don't try to make excuses for not knowing the astronomy basics.
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 4690
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.


Still, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hottest in our solar system", why would you NOT knee-jerk Mercury?

1. Mercury isn't in the habitable zone.
2. Mercury doesn't have an atmosphere.
3. You don't try to make excuses for not knowing the astronomy basics.


Because 1. and 2. are sooooooo widely known, right?!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Volante » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.


Still, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hottest in our solar system", why would you NOT knee-jerk Mercury?

1. Mercury isn't in the habitable zone.
2. Mercury doesn't have an atmosphere.
3. You don't try to make excuses for not knowing the astronomy basics.


Because 1. and 2. are sooooooo widely known, right?!

What, no sarcastic reply to 3. as well?
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
 
Posts: 4690
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby econgator » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Because 1. and 2. are sooooooo widely known, right?!


Yes, they are.
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Bamaman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:19 am

There is no need to have any knowledge of astronomy other than the names of the planets and their order from the sun. You seem to know that.

You said it made sense that the closest planet would be the he hotest. I agree that is a logical conclusion. But that is why Tyson explained why Venus is hotter. If Mercury were the hotest it wouldn't be an interesting fact to know that might come up in a trivia game. In other words, if it was Mercury, they probably wouldn't ask it or at least not give such a detailed explanation.

Tune into his show on the National Geographic Channel to learn more.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7817
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby BobF » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:05 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It would seem logical that Mercury would be hotter. That is why he gave a detailed explanation of why it isn't.


Still, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah hottest in our solar system", why would you NOT knee-jerk Mercury?

1. Mercury isn't in the habitable zone.
2. Mercury doesn't have an atmosphere.
3. You don't try to make excuses for not knowing the astronomy basics.


Because 1. and 2. are sooooooo widely known, right?!


Frankly, TPH, my 12 year old could tell you that, as could either of my college aged sons. But we've all got an aptitude for science, perhaps that is what is lacking in your case?
Just finished my second swim in the Jeopardy! contestant pool. :-(
User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby BigDaddyMatty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Bamaman wrote:There is no need to have any knowledge of astronomy other than the names of the planets and their order from the sun. You seem to know that.

You said it made sense that the closest planet would be the he hotest. I agree that is a logical conclusion. But that is why Tyson explained why Venus is hotter. If Mercury were the hotest it wouldn't be an interesting fact to know that might come up in a trivia game. In other words, if it was Mercury, they probably wouldn't ask it or at least not give such a detailed explanation.

This. Also, "Venus is the hottest planet in our solar system despite being farther from the sun than Mercury" is about as basic a trivia factoid as there is. Just trust us, it is. Commit it to memory. It will come up again.
Sprinkles are for winners.
User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:53 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:There is no need to have any knowledge of astronomy other than the names of the planets and their order from the sun. You seem to know that.

You said it made sense that the closest planet would be the he hotest. I agree that is a logical conclusion. But that is why Tyson explained why Venus is hotter. If Mercury were the hotest it wouldn't be an interesting fact to know that might come up in a trivia game. In other words, if it was Mercury, they probably wouldn't ask it or at least not give such a detailed explanation.

This. Also, "Venus is the hottest planet in our solar system despite being farther from the sun than Mercury" is about as basic a trivia factoid as there is. Just trust us, it is. Commit it to memory. It will come up again.


But if you don't know all that already, then it's easy to just go "Oh, hottest planet, must be Mercury" in spite of the tl;dr explanation.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Bamaman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:34 pm

If you aren't even going to listen to the clue then why are you even here?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
 
Posts: 7817
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby econgator » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Bamaman wrote:If you aren't even going to listen to the clue then why are you even here?


If you all know he's not going to listen to the clue, then why are the rest of you even here? ;)

44 pages and I can't honestly say a single thing has been learned.
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 pm

So what I'm getting is "Sometimes you have to pay attention to all the words in a clue, sometimes you can just glom onto a random word or two."
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby econgator » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:So what I'm getting is "Sometimes you have to pay attention to all the words in a clue, sometimes you can just glom onto a random word or two."


Q.E.D.
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby snowdenscold » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:54 pm

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:If you aren't even going to listen to the clue then why are you even here?


If you all know he's not going to listen to the clue, then why are the rest of you even here? ;)

I see what you did there....
Well played.
snowdenscold
Contributor
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:46 am

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby Stanislaus Jacob » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 am

TenPoundHammer wrote: I also saw "blah blah blah Israelites blah blah Jericho" but then also saw "Moses", which was enough to convince me that no way in a billion years could it possibly be Joshua.


This may be your most remarkable statement yet. I don't remember the exact wording of this clue, and it isn't in the archive yet, but the mention of Moses was supposed to help guide you to Joshua. If the clue had just been "He led to the Israelites into the Promised Land," Moses would have been what we call a negbait - a response that seems highly plausible, sometimes even apparently obvious, but is wrong. (Although if Jericho was mentioned, then that is what we call Pavlov for Joshua - a word in a clue that almost always leads to a particular response. The name comes from the famous Pavlov's dog experiment.) But if you know Moses is ruled out, then that should guide you to Joshua.
Stanislaus Jacob
Loyal Jeopardista
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Postby TenPoundHammer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I also saw "blah blah blah Israelites blah blah Jericho" but then also saw "Moses", which was enough to convince me that no way in a billion years could it possibly be Joshua.


This may be your most remarkable statement yet. I don't remember the exact wording of this clue, and it isn't in the archive yet, but the mention of Moses was supposed to help guide you to Joshua. If the clue had just been "He led to the Israelites into the Promised Land," Moses would have been what we call a negbait - a response that seems highly plausible, sometimes even apparently obvious, but is wrong. (Although if Jericho was mentioned, then that is what we call Pavlov for Joshua - a word in a clue that almost always leads to a particular response. The name comes from the famous Pavlov's dog experiment.) But if you know Moses is ruled out, then that should guide you to Joshua.


I didn't make the connection of Joshua being Moses' successor. I thought their stories were completely unrelated. So that's why "Moses" threw me completely off the trail.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
 
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests