New tie-breaker rule: Yea or nay

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

New tie-breaker rule: Yea or nay

Poll ended at Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 am

Yea
24%
Nay
76%

Total votes: 98

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New tie-breaker rule: Yea or nay

Post by opusthepenguin »

Tigershark wrote:I don't like ties at all. One of the reasons I can't get into soccer despite being a huge football, baseball, and basketball fan is too many freaking ties.
Yeah, but a tie in soccer has no satisfactory resolution. When there's a tie in Jeopardy!, they immediately schedule a rematch.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since I seem to be in the minority, I will say that I'm not in favor of how they implemented the change, but that the change is OK if there was going to continue to be a lot of ties.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

WilliamPorygon wrote:I think the best way they could handle tiebreaks, if they really feel they're necessary, is the same way they break ties between second and third: whoever had the higher pre-FJ! score wins. For simplicity's sake, I'd say they should still declare co-champs if they're tied both at the beginning and end of FJ!, or if they really can't ever have co-champs again no matter what, go to a tie-breaker question in that case only.
I think they should go to a judges' decision. "Well, John ran that biology category, but with one category to go and one Daily Double left, he went to the top of the board. I'll give him a 7 for the round."
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vermonter wrote:
WilliamPorygon wrote:I think the best way they could handle tiebreaks, if they really feel they're necessary, is the same way they break ties between second and third: whoever had the higher pre-FJ! score wins. For simplicity's sake, I'd say they should still declare co-champs if they're tied both at the beginning and end of FJ!, or if they really can't ever have co-champs again no matter what, go to a tie-breaker question in that case only.
I think they should go to a judges' decision. "Well, John ran that biology category, but with one category to go and one Daily Double left, he went to the top of the board. I'll give him a 7 for the round."
Yes! And make it like an Olympic event where judges' decisions can be bought and sold, and where the outcome is decided before the match ever takes place.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

We can hope that the new (if unnecessary) rule discourages wagering for the tie. I certainly don't like watching J! games decided by a "fastest finger" question. This ain't the Regis show.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cinemaniax7 wrote:We can hope that the new (if unnecessary) rule discourages wagering for the tie. I certainly don't like watching J! games decided by a "fastest finger" question. This ain't the Regis show.
Considering approximately 98.36% of the clues (60 out of 61) *are* decided by "fastest finger" - in several cases said contests making the remaining clue (FJ) moot because the fastest finger got in first too many times - you must not like a lot of episodes.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I don't think there's going to be much difference in the show. Instead of offering ties, leaders will wager that extra dollar. Regular games will look much the same. I'd be surprised if there's a tiebreaker clue more than once a year.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

dhkendall wrote:Considering approximately 98.36% of the clues (60 out of 61) *are* decided by "fastest finger" - in several cases said contests making the remaining clue (FJ) moot because the fastest finger got in first too many times - you must not like a lot of episodes.
It's actually 93.44% (57 out of 61) - you forgot the Daily Doubles. (If there are unrevealed clues it may be even less.)
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

I think they should keep the current co-champion rules in place until Alex retires. Then when the new host comes he can start doing tie breakers if he wants.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:We can hope that the new (if unnecessary) rule discourages wagering for the tie. I certainly don't like watching J! games decided by a "fastest finger" question. This ain't the Regis show.
Considering approximately 98.36% of the clues (60 out of 61) *are* decided by "fastest finger" - in several cases said contests making the remaining clue (FJ) moot because the fastest finger got in first too many times - you must not like a lot of episodes.
Now that I'm thinking about it, how do you get that? Are you assuming at least two contestants buzz in on every clue? That's just plain false (even including the DD's, as mentioned above). I'd say that might be true for most of the top three rows, but not so much below those.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

GoodStrategy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Considering approximately 98.36% of the clues (60 out of 61) *are* decided by "fastest finger" - in several cases said contests making the remaining clue (FJ) moot because the fastest finger got in first too many times - you must not like a lot of episodes.
It's actually 93.44% (57 out of 61) - you forgot the Daily Doubles. (If there are unrevealed clues it may be even less.)
Also stand-and-stares. And since triple stumpers happen in most games, it's reasonable to assume that double stumpers are even more common. We just don't know about them because only two contestants were standing and staring. The third one could well have the slowest finger, but it was the only one willing to twitch.

That makes 93.44% the theoretical maximum. It's probably incredibly rare for that to be the actual number.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

silverscreentest wrote:I don't think there's going to be much difference in the show. Instead of offering ties, leaders will wager that extra dollar. Regular games will look much the same. I'd be surprised if there's a tiebreaker clue more than once a year.
This. I wish there was a third option of "Don't care either way".
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

kingskip wrote:I think they should keep the current co-champion rules in place until Alex retires. Then when the new host comes he can start doing tie breakers if he wants.
The host, whether it's Alex, Art Fleming, or whoever is next, doesn't decide the rules, that solely TPTB, and they won't be different (most likely) when the host changes. They could change a rule when the new host comes in purely due to perception, and marking a "new era"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote:
GoodStrategy wrote:
Also stand-and-stares. And since triple stumpers happen in most games, it's reasonable to assume that double stumpers are even more common. We just don't know about them because only two contestants were standing and staring. The third one could well have the slowest finger, but it was the only one willing to twitch.

That makes 93.44% the theoretical maximum. It's probably incredibly rare for that to be the actual number.
Not only that, but a lot of games are decided by fast fingers that backfire. Keeping that in mind, the "can't hurt to buzz in" tiebreaker is an abomination.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

To me, it's just like the shootout in hockey. It's a crapshoot which isn't indictative of the team's (or individual's in this case) total skill.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mennoknight wrote:indictative
Emanciptation has a new friend!
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

seaborgium wrote:
mennoknight wrote:indictative
Emanciptation has a new friend!
ha! And I typed that three different times.

*throws English degree in the garbage*
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is the new rule official yet? It seems odd they haven't announced it on air.