Friday, November 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6945, 2014-11-21

2014 Tournament of Champions final game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Julia Collins, a 20-time Jeopardy! champion from Kenilworth, Illinois (subtotal of $6,400)
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst, voiceover artist, and blogger from Broadview Heights, Ohio (subtotal of $15,600)
Ben Ingram, an IT consultant originally from Florence, South Carolina (subtotal of $25,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Decision day for us. The winner of the Tournament of Champions will be crowned at the end of this half-hour. You can see what they won yesterday. Johnny has just mentioned it. We'll take those totals down to $0 right now. Good luck. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And now the categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU DO KNOW HIM FROM ADAM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STATE PARKS (4/5)
BUBBLE TROUBLE (3/5)
MEDIA (4/5)
ADD A LETTER (5/5)
CHANNING TATUM MOVIES BY ROLE (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 8 R, 1 W
Arthur: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Julia: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Ben had no money, Arthur had $600, and Julia had nothing in the bank. Arthur wagered $1,000.

YOU DO KNOW HIM FROM ADAM $800: In Genesis 3:19 God tells Adam he'll return to dust; in Exodus 8:17 this brother's rod turns dust to lice

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ben: $3,200
Arthur: $1,800
Julia: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Because the three of these finalists have been with us on about 50 shows, we have learned a great deal about them, but there may be some things we don't know, things that I did not have the foresight to ask you about. Julia?

Julia: Well, I actually wanted to thank all my family and friends who have been so supportive of me today. I have some friends who have asked you a lot of questions and have been to almost all of my shows, who are here. And, you know, it's been really wonderful to have their support and cheering section here.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Arthur, what about you?

Arthur: Well, I'd like to give a shout-out to the Asian-American community. I wasn't expecting it, but people said I was the new Jeremy Lin. And so there's a lot of positive attention on the Internet. Ken Jennings coined the term "Chu-phoria" instead of "Linsanity", so, you know... and I've just met a lot of really cool people who used to be complete strangers to me. Some of them are here in the audience right now, and it's just--even with all the so-called controversy, it's been a much more positive than negative experience.

Alex: But isn't it nice also to be recognized in a positive way for something that doesn't have anything to do with sports?

[Laughter]

Arthur: Yes. Jeopardy! is a sport now, some people say. It's getting up there in terms of...

Alex: Okay.

Alex: What about you, Ben?

Ben: I'm thankful to everybody in South Carolina for their love and support, and I'm thankful to all of my fellow champions here for just being awesome players and awesome people.

Alex: Have you thought of going into politics in...?

Ben: I would get paved over.

Alex: I love that expression.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MEDIA $800: Time said critics of the AT&T-DirectTV merger call it an example of "out-of-control media" this event
(Julia: What is a circus?)

STATE PARKS $1000: This Is The Place Heritage Park state park takes up a lot of signage space in this state

CHANNING TATUM MOVIES BY ROLE $600: Soldier John Tyree, who falls in love while home on leave
(Julia: What is Safe Haven?)
(Alex: We're going to take a break, allow Julia to calm down.)

BUBBLE TROUBLE $800: A blood vessel gets blocked by an air bubble moving through the bloodstream in one type of this condition
(Ben: What is the bends?)

(Arthur: What is an aneurysm?)

BUBBLE TROUBLE $1000: Say "fresh" to begin the name of this Spanish sparkling wine around since 1861

CHANNING TATUM MOVIES BY ROLE $1000: Leo Collins, a newlywed nursing his amnesiac wife back to health

CHANNING TATUM MOVIES BY ROLE $800: U.S. Capitol policeman John Cale

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $4,200
Ben: $3,800
Julia: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
McWRITERS (0/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
COLONIAL AMERICA (4/5)
PEAKS & VALLEYS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I'M JUST A SAYING (4/5)
GETTING POSSESSIVE (5/5)
SONG TITLE IN COMMON TO... (3/5) (Alex: And we'll give you the performers, you give us the song title.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: 6 R, 1 W
Ben: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Ben had $3,800, Arthur had $7,000, and Julia was at $4,000. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $7,000.

McWRITERS $1600: In 1962 Marshall McLuhan wrote "Electronic interdependence recreates the world in the image of a global" this
(Arthur: What is a web?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Ben had $4,600, Arthur had $2,800, and Julia was at $7,600. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

PEAKS & VALLEYS $1600: The Barossa Valley just north of this capital of South Australia is known for its vineyards & great wines

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SONG TITLE IN COMMON TO... $800: John Cougar Mellencamp (1987) & the Runaways (1976)

I'M JUST A SAYING $1200: "Dogs have owners, cats have" this 5-letter group
(Alex: And if you have a cat, you know. Cats have [*].)
[Laughter]

SONG TITLE IN COMMON TO... $2000: Dusty Springfield (1967) & ABC (1982)

PEAKS & VALLEYS $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The Great Rift Valley reaches its northeasternmost extension, between the Lebanon & Anti-Lebanon mountains in this valley

McWRITERS $2000: (I'm Soledad O'Brien.) "Crash Diet" is a brilliant collection of stories by this Southern author; her novels include "Carolina Moon" & "Tending to Virginia"

COLONIAL AMERICA $2000: Born in Senegal around 1753, she wrote "Poems on Various Subjects: Religious and Moral" after coming to America

McWRITERS $1200: John McPhee has published for 50 years in this magazine, which ran his essay on writing in 2013

McWRITERS $800: Joe McGinniss' controversial books include "Fatal Vision", about this doctor & convicted murderer
(Julia: Who is Kevorkian?)

McWRITERS $400: She's the chronicler of women's lives seen here

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $10,400
Julia: $7,600
Ben: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEAREAN GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Arthur: Wager $4,801 to cover Julia.
Julia: You ought to wager to cover Ben, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $7,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,600 (to shut out Ben) or less than $2,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Ben). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Arthur.
Ben: Consider risking $1,000, thereby beating Arthur on the Triple Stumper (should Arthur wager to cover Julia's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 5 cities mentioned in Shakespeare play titles, it's the only one not found in Europe

FINAL SCORES
Ben: $6,600 - $4,201 = $2,399 = $27,999 cumulative (What is Windsor? Cairo..,) (Tournament champion: $250,000)
Julia: $7,600 - $2,000 = $5,600 = $12,000 cumulative (What is . . . .) (2nd runner-up: $50,000)
Arthur: $10,400 - $10,400 = $0 = $15,600 cumulative (What is Thebes?) (1st runner-up: $100,000)
(Alex: The play is Pericles of [*][/i].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $16,000, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: $7,600, 13 R, 3 W
Ben: $6,600, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 19/61 = .311
Julia: 13/58 = .224
Ben: 11/58 = .190
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CHANNING TATUM MOVIES BY ROLE $400: Roofer by day, "enchanting" stripper by night
(Alex: Boy, that brought a big smile to your face.)
[Laughter]
(Julia: One more awkward thing I've said on this show.)

BUBBLE TROUBLE $400: At 10,000 feet water boils at 194 degrees, but at sea level it takes this many more degrees to boil
(Alex: Yes, up to 212.)

BUBBLE TROUBLE $200: In 1979 this Midwest company popped up with Hubba Bubba bubble gum
(Alex: Pick the obvious from your part of the world.)
(Julia: [Laughs] Exactly.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Aaron
consolidation
Utah
Dear John
an embolism
Freixenet
The Vow
White House Down
(a global) village
Adelaide
"Cherry Bomb"
a staff
"The Look of Love"
the Bekaa Valley
Jill McCorkle
Phillis Wheatley
The New Yorker
Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald
Terry McMillan
Tyre
Magic Mike
Wrigley
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Shakespearean Geography
Of the 5 cities mentioned in Shakespeare's play titles, it's the only one not found in Europe.

Spoiler
What is Tyre? Ben crossed out Windsor and said Cairo; Julia had no guess; Arthur said Thebes.

Day 2 Scores
Arthur Chu: $10,400-$10,400=$0
Julia Collins: $7,600-$2,000=$5,600
Ben Ingram: $6,600-$4,201=$2,399

Day 1 Scores
Arthur: $25,600-$10,000=$15,600
Julia: $18,200-$11,800=$6,400
Ben: $12,800+$12,800=$25,600

Combined Scores
Ben: $25,600+$2,399=$27,999...wins $250,000
Arthur: $15,600+$0=$15,600...wins $100,000
Julia: $6,400+$5,600=$12,000...wins $50,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Well, today's game was an anticlimax after yesterday. The game seemed almost not to matter with the huge lead Ben posted yesterday. Ben seemed to absent himself for most of DJ, as Julia did in the J! round. Arthur dominated the game but with a need to make TDD bets to catch Ben's overage from Thursday, he just couldn't accrue an impressive tote.

FJ was a serious killer. Not being boastful, I can list all of Shakespeare's plays on a napkin in less than 4 minutes. But the operative part of the clue referred to the subtitle of one of the lesser plays.

Congratulations to Ben on his win! Like the Giants and the Royals, you are a sleeper winner of 2014!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

Wow Jeopardy sure airs early wherever you live! What ended up being the finals scores for the game and the overall final scores?
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Tougher board today. Any of three were worthy. It's amazing how the cream rises to the top in these ToCs.

Wager nit:
Arthur needlessly risked 2nd place and the $50,000 pay jump.

He could have risked enough to pass on a miss from Ben while keeping Julia locked out of 2nd. Ben is NEVER offering the tie.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

Jeopardy airs in Omahahaha at 4:30 CT. It is my opinion that Arthur answered way too quickly on the DD clue regarding Marshall McCluhan. We'll have to see if this was indeed the case. Great tournament, exciting as always. Congrats to all the contestants, especially Ben Ingram.
Le Flaneur
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Is this the first time someone has won a tournament despite being in 3rd place both days? Congrats to Ben!
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Great game. Not sure Arthur had to go TDD on the 2nd one; he seemed to be dominating enough in regular play that he could've built enough of a lead without it, but hindsight of course is 20/20. I had no clue on FJ, but a little surprised that none of the players got it.
Sheepin' it real.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

danspartan wrote:Wager nit:
Arthur needlessly risked 2nd place and the $50,000 pay jump.

He could have risked enough to pass on a miss from Ben while keeping Julia locked out of 2nd. Ben is NEVER offering the tie.
By my calculations he had a leeway of $2000-$4399 to accomplish this.

I would liked to have seen Julia steal 2nd place from him with a correct FJ response but she needed to wager $3601.
She seemed to be aiming for round numbers in both games.

edit: OOPS, I didn't consider the $2000 subtracted for her incorrect answer. She did wager enough to take 2nd with a correct response.
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I've actually thought the boards this time weren't quite TOC caliber, but the Finals sure have been! 1/6 for Finals, and the only person to get a Final right wins it? Despite being in third both times, as was pointed out, this shows how important wagering and FJ are (neither of which are factors in Coryat-keeping, btw).

Knew today's Final had to be in either North Africa, Turkey, or the Levant but couldn't think of any title there, WAGged Alexandria.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

I got this FJ pretty quickly, from several awkward teenage years of playing board games set in ancient times. Let's see, if we add today's get to the rest of the week that makes me... 1 for 5.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

3 Literature FJs out of 5 this week.

Those were also the 3 I got. I might have guessed Monday, but I was spoiled on it, so I can't be sure.

Way to go, Ben!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Pericles/Tyre was the first one that popped into my head (no idea why), so the rest of the time was spent trying to remember the 5th play, after Athens, Windsor, and Venice (got to Verona with a few seconds to spare).

So in the great battle of Arthur vs Julia, the winner is none of the above. Didn't see that coming. Great tournament.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Ben for a great performance. I got 29 clues correct, but had no guess for FJ.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Congratulations to Ben - great TOC!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Was very happy to get FJ after about 15 seconds. Went through Athens and Verona to get there. Congrats to Ben on a well-played tournament, and to Arthur and Julia for their part in making this a spectacular final.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Congrats to Ben for knowing how to finish off a victory, a rare thing for a Gamecock this season. (I kid, I kid, but Spurrier is on line 2.)

Got Tyre after about 5 seconds of wondering if they meant Troilus somehow, then remembering Pericles.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Congrats to Ben on a great tournament.

As for FJ, I said Troy, thinking Troilus and Cressida.

Now I'm a very white dude, but the two Lach Trach that I got over the two day final was 1,010 (for Malcolm X) and Phyllis Wheatley.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
hscer

Post by hscer »

Anticlimactic FJ, but at least one trailer had a chance at coming back.

Depending on its theoretical size, all 3 of the finalists ought to make it to any future all-time tournament.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer