Friday, November 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billiej »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
zakharov wrote:It's been a banner week for this board attracting more weirdos than usual.
TPH isn't so bad after all.
He may be a weirdo, but he's our weirdo?
He's a likeable weirdo who can take a joke. Which probably describes most of us here. :P
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

billiej wrote:He's a likeable weirdo who can take a joke. Which probably describes most of us here. :P
I agree. On both counts.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

billiej wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
zakharov wrote:It's been a banner week for this board attracting more weirdos than usual.
He's a likeable weirdo who can take a joke. Which probably describes most of us here. :P
I resent being called likeable.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vanya wrote:
billiej wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
It was an anomaly. It won't happen again.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Vanya wrote:
billiej wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
I said "most". ;) Forgiven?
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I finally got to watch the second game of the Final today so I finally have gotten a chance to look here at the comments. Fortunately, it only took me two minutes to run through the last four pages which, most disappointingly, consisted of troll feeding.

Congratulations to Ben on winning it all. My wife will attest that after watching his performance in the first QF game on Monday that I predicted that he would be the sleeper that upsets Arthur and Julia. I suspected that Julia might fall behind the intense competitors because she seems pretty mellow in personality. While this happened, Julia definitely was ready for the board jumping that was inevitably going to occur in this ToC. She was never thrown by it and was able to participate in it herself. I liked how when she got control of the board, she seemed to keep going down a category from the point that the previous clue had been picked. This seemed to be a compromise between her preferred method of going in order and the realization that she needed to find the DDs and that the higher valued clues were going to be selected first. Special props to her for playing well ill on the first day--she seemed to be on the verge of losing her voice at one point.

Arthur also put on an excellent performance. He seemed a lot more relaxed and TV friendly, was sharp on the buzzer and, except for the McLuhan miss, had no cringe-inducing answers. Clearly Arthur had been studying more with the time he had before the ToC. I do think his channeling of the Martian Roger Craig was counterproductive under the circumstances and, as with Roger, I think that it did him more harm than good. On the other hand, the turning point of the entire ToC final was when Ben wagered it all on the first FJ and got a sole get, so who am I to talk.

Personally, I got the Thursday FJ correct (it helps if you watched the Roosevelts on PBS but I think that I would have known it anyway). I was disappointed (as will those who know me well here and through Facebook) that I only knew the $2,000 clue in the same song title, different song, different artist category. When the category showed up, I confess that I was hoping for a Grand Coincidence as I had used the same theme for a question on my Facebook weekly music trivia contest the week before last, but "Big Girls Don't Cry" was not one of the responses (perhaps because of one of the hit songs with that title has a subtitle).

I also did not get the last FJ. I got to "Pericles" while going through the canon (or folio as it were), but did not know that the full title was "Pericles, Prince of Tyre". I also forgot that the play is not entirely set in Greece (I have seen the play twice but, hey, even at home, 30 seconds goes by fast). Didn't come up with anything.

Anyway, an excellent ToC. Congratulations to all participants! Now I guess I'll start preparing for the next online test, whenever that may be.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

georgespelvin wrote:I finally got to watch the second game of the Final today so I finally have gotten a chance to look here at the comments.

Anyway, an excellent ToC. Congratulations to all participants! Now I guess I'll start preparing for the next online test, whenever that may be.
It's a good thing you use a handle here. The contestant coordinators monitor the board. Did not see the finals of the TOC until two days later? Blackballed. ;)

I would expect the online tests to be early 2015. Good luck.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

What an excellent TOC, and hearty congratulations to you, Ben. I would call you a giant-killer, but you are a giant in your own right, so it was just a battle of the Titans. Arthur continues to impress with his combination of speed and knowledge, too. My wife and son finally accorded me a measure of respect when I managed to get a TS FJ in the TOC but that's sure to be short-lived in our household. :D
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

Congratulations to Ben!

The tourney made for some excellent viewing, fer sher. Going in, I thought that Arthur was the strongest player I'd seen in the last year + and the result hasn't altered that opinion. I missed the Thursday FJ, but instagot Friday's, probably because I've written a clue close to that one in the past.

What struck me throughout the tourney was that clue levels were hard. I picked up a lot of lach trash, day after day, but also missed a lot of clues that the contestants got right. 6/10 on FJ's too. It made for fair competition, I thought.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

The game was preempted in my area until Saturday, but I only just watched it tonight. Congratulations to Ben on his victory and to Arthur and Julia for making it an exciting match-up! I also hope to see all three in some future champions tournament. Arthur's video cracked me up -- so different from his straight-ahead game persona, haha -- nicely done. No chance on FJ for me, could only think of Verona and Venice.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Loved watching Ben win handily but the constant "I love yous" during his intros was odd. And Julia is always great to watch too. I watched all ten shows in a marathon although I did fast forward through the first 2 shows of a player I don't like. I had a hard time recognizing some of the players but I guess it's been 18 months or so since the last ToC.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote:
When the archive is done the clues correct can be compared. For Coryats in the finals:

Arthur: 40000 (24000+16000)
Julia: 19600 (12000+7600)
Ben: 19400 (12800+6600)

Ben played 0 of 6 DDs. Unlike his opponents though, Ben was able to solve one of the FJ! clues.
I noticed the game is now complete in the archive.

Clues correct:

Arthur: 48R (29 & 19)
Ben: 27R (16 & 11)
Julia: 26R (13 & 13 - "consistent" was one of many things she was called.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
When the archive is done the clues correct can be compared. For Coryats in the finals:

Ben played 0 of 6 DDs. Unlike his opponents though, Ben was able to solve one of the FJ! clues.

Clues correct:

Both games seemed to follow the same pattern, Arthur and Ben dominated the first round and Arthur and Julia dominated DJ. One could say that means Julia had more gets on the more difficult clues than Ben, and therefore must have a deeper knowledge base, but I would guess it was more just that the DJ categories in those two games just happened to either hit Julia really well or hit Ben really poorly. It could also be that Julia wasn't buzzing well at the start of both games, but got her timing down by DJ, and maybe if all 3 players were buzzing frequently, Ben was the worst buzzer of the three. Just speculation, no real way to prove it without any kind of stats on which players were buzzing on which clues.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

And Arthur joins the small group of people who have gotten the highest Coryat in four ToC matches (and the still smaller group of those who did not win while doing so).

In the first FJ of the finals, I thought he'd have a perfectly good reason to bet $0; he had exactly double Ben's total, and against someone he'd already outscored two to one in one game, he could have figured that he'd have the advantage if they started off the second game on even ground. Sure enough, Arthur got into crush position even with a big DD loss on game 2, but it wasn't enough to get him out from under the crush that Ben's head start afforded him.
Ceruleanveritas

Post by Ceruleanveritas »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Clues correct:

Yeah, I just finished reviewing the Final game(s) in the archive and just wanted to comment what I'm sure others have probably also noticed, that Ben was the only player to get a FJ clue correct(in day one where he wagered all he had $12,800 and doubled up) and to me, this fact alone is probably the single largest factor/reason why he ended up winning the tournament. Julia lost $11.8K and Arthur lost $10K while Ben gained $12.8K, is this not at least a $22,000 swing? Ben was actually in a pretty distant third going into FJ on day one. In fact I believe Ben actually had exactly half of Arthur's Pre-FJ total($25,600) on day one.

At the end of the game, the scores were:

Ben $25,600
Arthur $10,600
Julia $ 6,400

After day one Ben had a $15,000 lead over Arthur and a $19,200 lead over Julia.

Day two's scores were much lower and as each player missed the Final, it was relatively inconsequential.

But for sake of clarity and completeness;

Day two's Pre-FJ scores

Ben $ 6,600
Arthur $10,400
Julia $ 7,600

Based on these scores(and the first days' scores of course) I believe it was not mathematically possible for either Arthur or Julia to win, assuming Ben wagered correctly, which basically means conservatively, $0, or less than $800.

Arthur $10,400 x 2 = $20,800 - $6,600(Ben's score) = $14,200 which is short of his $15,000 deficit.

And Julia was further behind and not necessary to calculate.

As is pointed out above, Arthur had twice the Coryat scores of Ben and Julia on both days, and he answered very nearly the same number of questions as both Ben and Julia combined.

I'm not trying to advocate for Arthur, Ben won the Tournament and I congratulate him for it(and thank all three for a good Final), but Arthur was by far the most "consistent" player answering the most questions correctly. That is just a fact.

And again, I say that Ben being the sole person to get a FJ clue correct was the primary reason why he won the tournament. While he was certainly very good, he was also very lucky as he got a clue "right up his wheelhouse" on 20th Century Presidential Elections, which he mentions in an interview, is one of his areas of greatest knowledge/expertise.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

You have Arthur's day 1 score incorrect. He did indeed have a chance to win with an FJ get on day 2.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I like how Ben's pre-FJ 50% of Arthur, Ben's FJ double-up, and Arthur's $10,000 loss add up to a $15,000 deficit.