Friday, November 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, November 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

I just now got to see this episode. I had been spoiled on who won from a Facebook post, but didn't know any other details. Still, it was a lot of fun to watch.

The Green Beret doctor/killer was an instaget for me. Maybe its an age thing the three 30 somethings missed it. Still, I'll take whatever Lach Trash I can get in a TOC final. I also got The New Yorker, which was a surprising TS to me, with the word literary in the clue.

A couple weeks ago some friend of mine posted on Facebook Channing Tatum had been spotted in Montgomery and they were drooling over how he was close by. I replied if I even had a clue who he was I might give a hoot. An easily predictable 0/5 for me.

No chance for me on FJ. I also thought of Cairo, but I was pretty sure that wasn't in a title.

All three players played great. I suspect Julia lurks here, so I just want to thank all three (along with the other 12) for putting on a great TOC. Thanks also to Rex for sharing the after hours photos.

Congrats to Ben on being the winner.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Channing, Prince of Tired Movies

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I wonder how many of the TOCers had Channing Tatum movies on their study list? Yeah, Julia was more than welcome to take the Magic Mike clue as the guys were not having any of that one. It was funny to see Alex giving Julia the business. None of them knew White House Down? Check your brain at the door, but it's fun to see Jamie Foxx as the bad ass Prez.
While the clue pointed fairly clearly toward the plot of the movie in question, White House Down and the similarly-themed Olympus Has Fallen were released fairly close together, so it was Take Your Pick.
True, although I saw both movies, so I knew which one fit the category.

El Jefe wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I wonder how many of the TOCers had Channing Tatum movies on their study list? Yeah, Julia was more than welcome to take the Magic Mike clue as the guys were not having any of that one.
I realize you were complimentary of Arthur's performance, but did you really just ignore his actions just to conform to your gendered narrative? Hint: back up your DVR to see what Arthur was doing as Julia buzzed in.

More basically, do you understand that some males in 2014 enjoy the freedom to watch whatever f'ing movie they want without fear of losing their legal manhood? Heck you don't even have to have watched it; even to say that it was a popular movie about male strippers limits it to Magic Mike and The Full Monty right?

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill but if you want to share a hardy-har-har observation like that you have to be right on the facts (and even then it's risky).
Yes, Arthur also seemed to be ringing in on the clue, but what he did was purposely delay his timing to make it look good that he was trying while allowing Julia to have it. That way he did not have to be the guy naming a chick flick. Is that better? :D

You take my posts more seriously than necessary. I know I post a lot of dumb stuff.

Of course seeing the movie was not required to know the title any contestant who pays enough attention to the entertainment field would know. Yes, it's 2014 and you are more than welcome with no shame to be first in line for Magic Mike XXL next year to see Michael Strahan and Nick the Gardener from the Ellen Degeneres Show join the cast with Tatum and Co. (no McConaughey) returning.

The Full Monty was a comedy nominated for Best Picture with great box office, so appeal for a wide audience. Magic Mike also turned a small budget into huge earnings to guarantee the sequel. Right, men and women saw and are free to see both movies. I get it.
UiscePreston
Valued Contributor

Post by UiscePreston »

jeff6286 wrote:Yes, I'm mostly being silly, but if a contestant were to write down Hamlet, NC, which, unlike Windsor, does happen to be a city, how exactly are they wrong? Or what about Windsor, Ontario?
You have a case, sorta. The clue states "cities mentioned in Shakespeare's play titles". One would think that words that are not used as cities in the titles are words not fulfilling this criterion of the clue. The word Romeo is not used as a city name in Romeo & Juliet; it is used as a proper name.

Unfortunately, the writer of the clue didn't use the word used in the clue.

There are major distinctions between use and mention. In formal linguistics, use specifically conveys information about the topic or speaker: he read Hamlet in college; she lives in the hamlet of Coltsville; I like Hamlet the character. Mention is meta-descriptive: Hamlet has two syllables; of appears five times in the titles of the Bard's plays. In this sentence, I am not using the words hamlet or of; I am talking about them. Use vs. mention. Even in the lay sense, mentions are lacking detail. They are inherently non-specific. If someone calls you on the telephone from Oahu and says "wish you were here", that's use. If you overhear someone mentioning Wish You Were Here, did he mean the Pink Floyd album, the Pink Floyd song, the Avril Lavigne or Incubus songs, or the 2012 motion picture starring Australia's own Joel Edgerton? Again, use vs. mention.

For the response to satisfy the "mentioned" criterion of the clue, the word has to 1) refer to a city as defined by the local jurisdiction - outside of Europe, and 2) to be composed of a string of letters that also appears in a Shakespearean play title whether or not the referenced city is one specified within the work. Had the clue said "of the 5 city names used in Shakespeare's play titles as settings", there would have been no doubt that they were excluding titular words (like those you listed) that were not marked as cities in the titles or that did not match the cities used within the plays.

So technically you are slightly right. You wouldn't have gotten ruled correct though. Jeopardy has no clue about the difference between use and mention. But it is good that you picked up on it.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Congratulations to Ben on your victory. Cheers to all of the other players. You gave us hours of solid entertainment.

Since I collect coins, I knew all of the Parks category. Sometimes your interests intersect.

On FJ I was in Africa when I should have been elsewhere.
In a previous post I said I felt Ben would win. It turns out I picked correctly.

P.S. Where is this pub located that you mention as your hang-out?
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:As for Channing Tatum, I wouldn't know him from Carol Channing, Stockard Channing or Tatum O'Neal.
Same. 22 Jump Street was the only movie title I recognized.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:As for Channing Tatum, I wouldn't know him from Carol Channing, Stockard Channing or Tatum O'Neal.
You might want to get your eyes checked. ;)
Sheepin' it real.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Congratulations to Ben for his well-deserved win! Quite the dark horse, and his consistency paid off. Also, a big congrats to Arthur and Julia for playing excellently.

Still, I have beef with the amount of attention the latter two are getting compared to Ben. It may be changing now, but back when they won their regular season games, there was no contest. http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q= ... ram&cmpt=q
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

BRD-98 wrote:Congratulations to Ben for his well-deserved win! Quite the dark horse, and his consistency paid off. Also, a big congrats to Arthur and Julia for playing excellently.

Still, I have beef with the amount of attention the latter two are getting compared to Ben. It may be changing now, but back when they won their regular season games, there was no contest. http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q= ... ram&cmpt=q
I agree, but you have to remember that Ben's timing was unfortunate as he won his games toward the end of the season, while Chu and Julia were alive toward the beginning.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

The worst part of this tourney was that I thought of Pericles of Tyre numerous times going for something obscure. The problem was that I was convinced Tyre was in Greece given the name of Pericles. Oh well.

Overall this was a great tourney as it featured the two favorites with the most amount of notoriety and the understated Ben.
Chu and Julia definitely proved they were legit and belonged there, can't wait to see how the next tourney shapes up.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I lived very close to a Tyre Avenue for four years, so that helped me with this one. I actually thought Tyre might have been in present-day Turkey. That turns out not to be correct, but fortunately that didn't matter for this FJ.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

ArthurChu wrote:ICYMI I made a video expressing my feelings about the events of tonight's Tournament of Champions final match so I wouldn't have to talk about them with people.

http://youtu.be/3HmizQEznFo
You must be a rare breed of Clevelander, Arthur, because most of us here would not "Shake it Off" after something like that (we of course see that from our sports teams in the post-season too much). Of course, the names David Siegel, Molly Rosenbusch, Emily Chang, Diana North et al. still come into my mind, and possibly a lot of other Clevelanders' minds (and no meanness from the rest of you please. You don't want to experience what I can do if you do that).
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

mbclev, you are seriously the only one in Cleveland who didn't get the memo:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron ... -cavaliers

Everyone in Cleveland stopped being depressed pessimists months ago. It's ok to come out of your basement and see the sun again :) !
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mbclev wrote:(and no meanness from the rest of you please. You don't want to experience what I can do if you do that).
OMG, we're all shaking in our boots!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
mbclev wrote:(and no meanness from the rest of you please. You don't want to experience what I can do if you do that).
OMG, we're all shaking in our boots!
Right? He'll post a video of someone yelling or something.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mbclev wrote:Of course, the names David Siegel, Molly Rosenbusch, Emily Chang, Diana North et al. still come into my mind, and possibly a lot of other Clevelanders' minds
Go out to a Cleveland mall and take a poll of random people, and see how many people actually recognize any of those names.

Edit: Wait, who the heck is Emily Chang?! Not a Jeopardy contestant, that's for sure.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

lieph82 wrote:mbclev, you are seriously the only one in Cleveland who didn't get the memo:

Everyone in Cleveland stopped being depressed pessimists months ago. It's ok to come out of your basement and see the sun again :) !
I'll "come out of my basement", so to speak, when the Indians, Browns or Cavaliers finally win a championship, and I'm sure many other Clevelanders will do so as well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:
mbclev wrote:Of course, the names David Siegel, Molly Rosenbusch, Emily Chang, Diana North et al. still come into my mind, and possibly a lot of other Clevelanders' minds
Go out to a Cleveland mall and take a poll of random people, and see how many people actually recognize any of those names.
The same number that have wooden arms or legs.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

mbclev wrote:
lieph82 wrote:mbclev, you are seriously the only one in Cleveland who didn't get the memo:

I'll "come out of my basement", so to speak, when the Indians, Browns or Cavaliers finally win a championship, and I'm sure many other Clevelanders will do so as well.
The Indians have a contending team, the Browns are 6-4, and the Cavs are (or soon will be) title contenders, so I hope you're being serious here, because I for one can't wait for you to start living your life again. Your well-being means a lot to us here, as I'm sure you understand after seeing multiple well-meaning posters urge you to get professional help. If all it will take is a sports championship, I will cross my fingers.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

lieph82 wrote:
mbclev wrote:

The Indians have a contending team, the Browns are 6-4, and the Cavs are (or soon will be) title contenders, so I hope you're being serious here, because I for one can't wait for you to start living your life again. Your well-being means a lot to us here, as I'm sure you understand after seeing multiple well-meaning posters urge you to get professional help. If all it will take is a sports championship, I will cross my fingers.
As I said earlier, I already had my professional help. And, like Arthur, our sports teams have been tantalizingly close to a championship, and yet they choke it all away themselves, so I am being serious here. (Even our minor-league hockey team, the Lake Erie Monsters, were up 3 games to one to Manitoba in their only post-season playoff series, and yet they choked it away, so as I said, it will take a championship to get me "out of the basement," so to speak.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lieph82 wrote:multiple well-meaning posters urge you to get professional help.
It can even be by her.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012