FJs for the 11/17/14 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 11/17/14 week?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:56 pm

This capital city, which at 12,330 miles is farthest from Madrid, is named for a soldier who spent time in Madrid
49%
Its first chapter recalls "the little scallop-shell of pastry, so richly sensual under its severe, religious folds"
32%
Set in the Great Depression, this 2006 novel has an epigraph from "Horton Hatches the Egg"
18%
In this year, there were no presidents or vice presidents running, but 3 of the 4 men on the 2 major party ballots would become president
24%
Of the 5 cities mentioned in Shakespeare play titles, it's the only one not found in Europe
27%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
1%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
25%
ALL OVER THE MAP $1600: Home to Quezon City: this island
49%
SUBATOMIC $1200: In a 1905 paper Einstein was the first to theorize about these, also called light quanta
64%
STATE PARKS $1000: This Is The Place Heritage Park state park takes up a lot of signage space in this state
25%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Manila.
19%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was "Les Miserables."
18%
I have read "Water For Elephants" and/or seen the movie, yet I still missed the Wednesday FJ! clue.
8%
My incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue was 1960.
22%
My incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue was 1952.
13%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was a place in Africa.
25%

Total votes: 142

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 11/17/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GLOBE

11/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This capital city, which at 12,330 miles is farthest from Madrid, is named for a soldier who spent time in Madrid

11/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH LITERATURE

11/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its first chapter recalls "the little scallop-shell of pastry, so richly sensual under its severe, religious folds"

11/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY BOOKS

11/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Set in the Great Depression, this 2006 novel has an epigraph from "Horton Hatches the Egg"

11/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

11/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In this year, there were no presidents or vice presidents running, but 3 of the 4 men on the 2 major party ballots would become president

11/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEAREAN GEOGRAPHY

11/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 5 cities mentioned in Shakespeare play titles, it's the only one not found in Europe

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Wellington
Remembrance of Things Past
Water for Elephants
Tyre
The players were 4/15 (26.67%) with a 1-1-1-1-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a requested triple stumper.

ALL OVER THE MAP $1600: Home to Quezon City: this island

SUBATOMIC $1200: In a 1905 paper Einstein was the first to theorize about these, also called light quanta

STATE PARKS $1000: This Is The Place Heritage Park state park takes up a lot of signage space in this state

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Luzon
Photons
Utah
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 11/17/14 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Manila
Les Miserables
Read Horton dozens of times, read Water for Elephants and saw the movie, but still stumped.
Africa
jgamer
Valued Contributor

Post by jgamer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mon: I got Wellington, knowing that the response had to be in the Southern Hemisphere.
Tue: I guessed Les Miserables.
Wed: I had no guess.
Thu: I got 1920 with just a few seconds to spare.
Fri: I got Tyre after considering three others.
I got 144 clues right and 20 clues wrong for the week.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Tues: Les Mis
Wed: No guess
Thurs: 1952
Fri: Could name the other 4, but no idea what the 5th was.

The only Heritage Park I know of is in Calgary.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

On FJs, I got Wellington, and the rest was Waterloo.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

:mrgreen: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Got Wellington, though it was a guess.
Les Miz on Tuesday. No guess on Wednesday or Friday, and I didn't even understand the clue on Thursday until about 5 minutes after the reveal.

I've been to This Is the Place. The main thing I remember about it was that it was my first time on a charter bus. Well, that and the fact that we all did the Virginia Reel, the highlight of my fourth-grade performing career.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:( :( :( :( :(
billiej

Post by billiej »

Wow, I think this is the first week I've missed all 5 FJ's. Ick!
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

No guess on Wednesday. Knew of the book and movie and might have come up with it a couple of years ago, but it's fallen off my radar screen.
Very lucky guess on Thursday, knew the election had to be prior to 1932 and took a stab at 1920.
No guess on Friday. Had the other 4 plays, but couldn't come with anything reasonable when time ran out.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

billiej wrote:Wow, I think this is the first week I've missed all 5 FJ's. Ick!
Same - at least it was a TOC week.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Thank goodness for Monday! Les Mis on Tuesday (Jean Valjean didn't just steal a loaf of bread, he also stole a croissant!), no guess for Wednesday, 1960 for Thursday (didn't RTFC), Cairo for Friday just to put something down. At least for Friday I can convince myself that I had the same thought process as the TOC winner!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I thought all the ToC FJs were great - kudos to the writers.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :evil:
T: Straight to Proust. First thought of the other title, which I've been told is more correct, but couldn't pull the exact wording. Second thought was 'I'd better start writing!' and got Remembrance of Things Past down in time.
W: Knew Horton was an elephant, and the only book I've seen of late with one in the title is Water for Elephants, which my wife read a few years back. Worth a shot... sweet! I was a bit less surprised than Ben to get it right.
F: Thought of Windsor, Verona and Athens in time, but needed an extra 10-15 seconds on pause to surface Tyre.

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Three winters skiing in Utah, plus parts of one summer, were enough time for "This is the place" to settle in.
In and out of the pool four times
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :( :(
Despite my poor showing on the FJs and these extras, I was happy to feel competitive in this week's games despite the high level of play. The games were challenging, but not too hard...Just had to get that out of the way... ;)

I was never getting the election clue (I watched the whole Ken Burns Roosevelt series, and I still didn't remember that FDR had ever run for VP), and considered only Spanish names on Monday, but my other misses were more frustrating-
Wed I made the Depression-elephant connection to the book right away, I knew it was a best seller, but otherwise my only relevant experience was seeing the trailer when the movie came out, and it wasn't until about Second 28 that I remembered the title...not enough time to write it! :roll:
There happens to be a production of Pericles running in New York right now, and I was in the building where it's playing (the Public Theater) last weekend, seeing something else...I glanced at a review the morning before watching the game. Still didn't think of it. Last second scrawl was TROY. I console myself that I had 3 of 4 letters right... :roll: :roll:

I've read some of Proust, and own the Moncrieff translation. Difficult, but I always intend to finish it some day! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Congratulations to everyone who participated in this entertaining tournament!
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday: What is Wellington, New Zealand?
Tuesday: What is Les Miserables? Not sure I've heard of the correct answer and certainly was nowhere near my radar. Hugo was the fourth author I considered (after Camus, Dumas, and Verne), so I was happy to have an answer that made even a little bit of sense.
Wednesday: What is Life of Pi? "Say anything" guess. The Horton > Elephant TOM didn't click at all, and I'm not sure that Water for Elephants would have clicked anyway.
Thursday: What is 1920? I stumbled across the fact that Roosevelt had been a losing VP candidate in a Five Thirty Eight column during the 2012 election, and it stuck in my mind. I wasn't sure this was the correct year, but of the three years I didn't eliminate (1908 and 1952 being the others), it felt like the most reasonable guess.
Friday: What is Alexandria? Didn't know the correct answer (and I still don't, honestly), so I figured "pick a city in Egypt and hope."

The "This Is the Place" clue is one where Jeopardy's all-caps style stymied me; I had trouble parsing it ("Heritage park state park? What?"), but focusing on the first words led me to the right state.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Could've gotten Luzon or Utah if my brain were a tad faster.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

reddpen wrote:Three winters skiing in Utah, plus parts of one summer, were enough time for "This is the place" to settle in.
The nod to Mormon history TOM didn't hit me until reading it again in this thread.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :(

Les Miz Tuesday, no guess Wednesday, 1952 on Thursday. I was spoiled on Friday's FJ, but I doubt I wouldn't have gotten it anyway.

2 for 10 total in the TOC, and I'm okay with that. I thought these FJ clues in the tournament were great; kudos to the writers.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell