Thursday, November 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

mrsal67 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Since a specific year was given, I'm guessing Bering Sea would be negged. I would think the sea would have been "discovered" long before the strait was.

After looking it up on Wikipedia (which seems to be one of the main source of info for the J! writers) the 1648 date is tied specifically to the strait. I guess one could see the strait and cross it without technically going into the sea, just as one could cross the straits of Gibraltar and not go into the Mediterranean Sea or Atlantic Ocean.

Still it would really suck to lose on J! because you said Bering Sea instead of Bering Strait.
From Encyclopedia Americana-

The Bering Sea, an arm of the North Pacific Ocean, is bounded on the east by Alaska, on the south by the Aleutian Islands, and on the west by Siberia (Russian Asia) and the Kamchatka Peninsula. To the north, the Bering Strait leads to the Chukchi Sea of the Arctic Ocean. The sea extends 2,395 km (1,488 mi) east to west and 1,597 km (992 mi) north to south. Its area is about 2,300,000 km2 (885,000 mi2). The greatest depth is 4,115 m (13,500 ft). Discovered (1648) by the Russian Semyon Dezhnev, the sea was named for Vitus Bering, a Danish explorer in the service of Russia in the early 18th century.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

davey wrote:
From Encyclopedia Americana-

The Bering Sea, an arm of the North Pacific Ocean, is bounded on the east by Alaska, on the south by the Aleutian Islands, and on the west by Siberia (Russian Asia) and the Kamchatka Peninsula. To the north, the Bering Strait leads to the Chukchi Sea of the Arctic Ocean. The sea extends 2,395 km (1,488 mi) east to west and 1,597 km (992 mi) north to south. Its area is about 2,300,000 km2 (885,000 mi2). The greatest depth is 4,115 m (13,500 ft). Discovered (1648) by the Russian Semyon Dezhnev, the sea was named for Vitus Bering, a Danish explorer in the service of Russia in the early 18th century.
I am glad you found that. With that info, I think that Bering Sea would be an acceptable answer. (Which was my answer after 20+ seconds of internal debate between the 2)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

It is good to know that Encyclopedia Americana also makes stuff up; that that trait it is not specific to Wikipedia.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

bpmod wrote:It is good to know that Encyclopedia Americana also makes stuff up; that that trait it is not specific to Wikipedia.

Brian
What's your source?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Austin Powers wrote:
bpmod wrote:It is good to know that Encyclopedia Americana also makes stuff up; that that trait it is not specific to Wikipedia.

Brian
What's your source?
Sorry. I have none. I just cannot believe that no other people ever saw the strait or sea before the 17th century, what with all of the people who lived in the area far earlier than that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

bpmod wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:

Brian
What's your source?
Sorry. I have none. I just cannot believe that no other people ever saw the strait or sea before the 17th century, what with all of the people who lived in the area far earlier than that.

Brian
Of course. It's a terribly worded question and you have to pretty much accept both answers. I can't believe that the writers... no wait I can.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Austin Powers wrote:Of course. It's a terribly worded question and you have to pretty much accept both answers. I can't believe that the writers... no wait I can.
But that's my point. The J! writers are no worse than the encylopedia writers. My real surprise is at the latter.

Brian

davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:

Brian
What's your source?

Brian
The perspective, of course, is from Western recorded history. For Jeopardy! purposes, that works better than "I just cannot believe."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I don't know if it's western, or simply "American".

Is this the same reason that the myth of Columbus discovering America prevails, and the reason that everybody* still calls the people that were there before his 'discovery' indians, even though we* have known for over 500 years that Columbus did not land in India?

*I don't include myself in either 'everybody' or 'we' in that statement.

Brian

Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I think they were going for Bering. I don't think Sea or Striat mattered, but thats just me. Of course I wrote down Bering Sea, and I wrote it down so late (I spent too much time thinking northern Russia Barents Sea, White Sea, Kara sea) probably 20 seconds into the think music, and never even thought about the Strait

This is picky, but I have another issue with the clue if they really wanted the Bering Strait and not the Bering Sea. Is a strait really a body of water? (final jeopardy category) I don't think I'd call the Strait of Gibraltar or the Straits of Megellan a body of water. In fact, when you look them up, the terms that are used are entry way, connection or navigable passage. They are never called a body of water like one would normally sea with an ocean, sea, lake or gulf. I know, it's picky, but in my mind. Bering strait is wrong and Bering Sea is the answer they wanted the whole time. :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:2) How was that not a triple get?
I doubt Bering being a Dane is really common knowledge.
I'm as common as you can get, and I've known that for decades.
OK, that's one data point. I'll bet if you asked random people on the street most wouldn't even know there was such a thing as the Bering Sea/Strait and fewer would know who Vitus Bering was. Obviously this is going to be different for people appearing on Jeopardy!, but I'm still not surprised this was not a triple get.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

floridagator wrote:I think it would be awful to be a J! contestant like that Michelle chick and have my one and only appearance be slotted for Thanksgiving, when multitudes of stations pre-empt Jeopardy! for sports and other programming and most people are not doing their normal routines anyway.
I see what you did there.

Brian

davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote: Is this the same reason that the myth of Columbus discovering America prevails, and the reason that everybody* still calls the people that were there before his 'discovery' indians, even though we* have known for over 500 years that Columbus did not land in India?

Brian
Yes. And congratulations to 'everybody' who thinks such a truism obliterates the parameters of the facts.
I presume it was Dezhnev who first recorded his explorations of 1648. It certainly wasn't anyone from "America."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote:I don't know if it's western, or simply "American".

Is this the same reason that the myth of Columbus discovering America prevails, and the reason that everybody* still calls the people that were there before his 'discovery' indians, even though we* have known for over 500 years that Columbus did not land in India?

Brian
They call themselves that.

http://www.aimovement.org/
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MDaunt wrote:Oppenheimer, Feynman, Bolivar all triple stumpers...really? Bering Strait a single get?

They need a better contestant search.
Since they haven't seen fit to select me, given several chances, I would tend to agree.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:I was surprised White Plains was a TS, as it was the least anagrammed of the cities in the category and had the color TOM.
Agreed. I think that was the easiest Anagram category I've ever seen, after 25+ years of watching Jeopardy!.
And it didn't hurt for me to be a 60s-70s One-Hit-Wonder geek to know that one. There was a group named White Plains that had a big top 40 song called "My Baby Loves Lovin"

I was also surprised Gary Busey was a TS. I guess that's another one for the: 'You have to be Over 45' bin.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
John Boy wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:2) How was that not a triple get?
I doubt Bering being a Dane is really common knowledge.
I'm as common as you can get, and I've known that for decades.
OK, that's one data point. I'll bet if you asked random people on the street most wouldn't even know there was such a thing as the Bering Sea/Strait and fewer would know who Vitus Bering was. Obviously this is going to be different for people appearing on Jeopardy!, but I'm still not surprised this was not a triple get.
I think Jay Leno's regular feature, "Jaywalking," gave us some interesting notions of what the man/woman on the street does and doesn't know. And it is frightening to fathom that degree of ill-informed minds out there making God-knows-what kinds of decisions that have impact on our daily lives. But I digress...

The point is, that kind of thing should be beyond common---perhaps even Pavlovian---for anyone aspiring to be on J!, especially for folks who pass the quiz and make it onto the show. Perhaps not "common knowledge" in the sense of "Washington was the first president," but certainly "common J! knowledge." Common enough certainly not to be a sole-get FJ!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Golf wrote:
goatman wrote:The Los Alamos category was 4/5; I missed the run not recognizing Richard Feinman, I was like; "Is that Teller? He looks too young!" So passed on it
You didn't have to recognize Feynman, the ToM in the clue related to one of his books "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman".
Fun fact, I picked up my copy of this book at a grungy little thrift shop in L.A. the day before my Jeopardy taping, oh those many years ago. Highly recommended.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

grindcore wrote: That aside though, glad to see the FJ clue cement the age-old truth that it only counts when a white person discovers it. Because there is no way in hell anybody had encountered the Bering Strait before 1648, nosiree.
But,
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Primarily because J! clues are based on factual evidence, of which the above statement is NOT an example.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Category 13 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I was surprised White Plains was a TS, as it was the least anagrammed of the cities in the category and had the color TOM.
Agreed. I think that was the easiest Anagram category I've ever seen, after 25+ years of watching Jeopardy!.
And it didn't hurt for me to be a 60s-70s One-Hit-Wonder geek to know that one. There was a group named White Plains that had a big top 40 song called "My Baby Loves Lovin"

I was also surprised Gary Busey was a TS. I guess that's another one for the: 'You have to be Over 45' bin.
WHite Plains was the home of General FOods COrporation before there were picked up by Kraft in the 90s. General FOods INternational Coffees kept the GF name on them for some years after the merger, but they no longer have the GF banner. Gary BUsey was on the Celebrity Apprentice in the fairly recent past, so he's tried to be in the public eye again.