Upcoming Contestant Test for the State of Denver

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cougarslav
Contributor

Re: Upcoming Contestant Test for the State of Denver

Post by cougarslav »

This was the same written test I took when I auditioned in Tampa last spring. Do they often re-use tests like this?
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I'm quite sure I saw some of these clues on a written test in NYC in May 2013. Maybe when they retired them from the written test--at which they ask prospective contestants not to say anything about the clues they've seen or the responses--they put them into an online test, knowing that the content of the online test would become widely available?

[Insert snark about SPE and the security of any information here.]
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Winchell Factor wrote:I'm quite sure I saw some of these clues on a written test in NYC in May 2013. Maybe when they retired them from the written test--at which they ask prospective contestants not to say anything about the clues they've seen or the responses--they put them into an online test, knowing that the content of the online test would become widely available?

Ummm, I'm quite sure they know about *us*...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:I'm quite sure I saw some of these clues on a written test in NYC in May 2013. Maybe when they retired them from the written test--at which they ask prospective contestants not to say anything about the clues they've seen or the responses--they put them into an online test, knowing that the content of the online test would become widely available?

Ummm, I'm quite sure they know about *us*...
What in the world is that comment responding to? Who is they? Who is "us"? How does that relate to Winchell Factor's post?
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

I'm sure they do, and since I'm new here, they may well know more about you all than I do.

Is it a well known practice for someone to post the online test on the Internets? I haven't seen that before, but I also haven't been hanging out where I would have been likely to see it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Winchell Factor wrote:I'm sure they do, and since I'm new here, they may well know more about you all than I do.

Is it a well known practice for someone to post the online test on the Internets? I haven't seen that before, but I also haven't been hanging out where I would have been likely to see it.
It has been done on this board since its inception, and prior to that was done on the official sony board, so I assume the people in charge didn't have any problems with it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:I'm sure they do, and since I'm new here, they may well know more about you all than I do.

It has been done on this board since its inception, and prior to that was done on the official sony board, so I assume the people in charge didn't have any problems with it.
The Powers use the online tests once, so the videos, transcripts and comments are fine. Right, we have a whole bunch on this board that are good for prepping.

It's the in-person audition written tests that should not be shared. Those are used in more than one city. That's interesting to see that the Denver online test was previously an in-person test in another city(ies). The recycling makes sense with the test likely being fresh for 99%+ of the for real test takers.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Another thanks to sherder. :D
Another 46/50 (missed 8, 41, 42 and 45).
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Thanks for the info, all.

And thanks to sherder for posting the test.
swale
Contributor

Post by swale »

It's probably way too soon, but has anyone gotten an invite to the in-person tryout?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

46 from hours of staring at goats, which finally paid off, thanks very much for posting this and also for posting responses!!

Missed Audacity of Hope ("Yes We Can!", lol, of course, DOH! moment), Adam Levine, lead singer:(total blank), Pinterest (Instagram), and "Goon" Squad (Mod?) LOL, virtual pass!

I wonder when if ever the general online test will open this year... no word yet, running late. I suppose they had enough from the extra large pool last year to last a while. :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

I think they may do all the tests like the one for the Denver area-in which case I'm probably screwed.

I'm halfway between Detroit (2 1/2 hour drive) and Chicago (about the same distance-but it seems longer because you have to go through a long stretch of Indiana).

They haven't been to my market in 20 years. How do I convince my TV station that it's way past time for them to sponsor an audition????
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

KazooJ!fan wrote:I think they may do all the tests like the one for the Denver area-in which case I'm probably screwed.

I'm halfway between Detroit (2 1/2 hour drive) and Chicago (about the same distance-but it seems longer because you have to go through a long stretch of Indiana).

They haven't been to my market in 20 years. How do I convince my TV station that it's way past time for them to sponsor an audition????
That might actually be a good idea doing all the tests that way!

As for the travel, the test is online so that's no biggie, and if the test was in the format it has been lately you'd pick an audition city anyways (either Detroit or Chicago in your case), so there's no real difference between the way they used to do it and the way you think it might happen.

And as to the drive, last year was the first time since 2009 they had an audition city that was less than a day's drive away - Minneapolis, an 8 hour drive from me (and home of the station I get my J! on). Other years, the closest was Chicago (a two day's drive). So quitcher bitchin
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I remember these questions from the written test as well (NYC, 2013).
swale
Contributor

Post by swale »

swale wrote:It's probably way too soon, but has anyone gotten an invite to the in-person tryout?
I guess I get to answer my own question! I just got an invite to an in-person audition, in Denver, on February 3rd! :)

The other time I was invited to an audition (2011 in Lexington, KY), I got the invite almost 2 months ahead of the audition. This time it's only 2 weeks! I'd better start getting my 5 stories ready, tout suite!
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

swale wrote:
swale wrote:It's probably way too soon, but has anyone gotten an invite to the in-person tryout?
I guess I get to answer my own question! I just got an invite to an in-person audition, in Denver, on February 3rd! :)

The other time I was invited to an audition (2011 in Lexington, KY), I got the invite almost 2 months ahead of the audition. This time it's only 2 weeks! I'd better start getting my 5 stories ready, tout suite!
I too just received an email for the February 3rd Denver audition. Hope to see you there, Swale, & good luck!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Steppenwolf wrote:
swale wrote:

I too just received an email for the February 3rd Denver audition. Hope to see you there, Swale, & good luck!
So, I guess you've "got your motor runnin'" and you're "head[ing] out on the highway".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

MarkBarrett wrote:Thank you so much for doing this. It was fun to write my answers and to be stumped on some of them.

These seem to be the correct answers based on the teamwork help below. Thanks.
Spoiler
1. 1984
2. Badgers
3. Celsius
4. Lake Mead
5. Libra
6. Juan Peron
7. Fifty Shades of Grey
8. Gerald Ford
9. Puck
10. Jeep
11. Eavesdrop
12. Philippines
13. Mamma Mia
14. Audacity of Hope
15. Ottoman
16. Pluto
17. Salvador Dali
18. Piccolo
19. Sassy Lassy
20. William Faulkner
21. Arab Spring
22. Antioxidants
23. Zorba
24. al-Qaeda
25. Belgium
26. 13th
27. Camelot
28. Ornithology
29. Pinterest
30. Louisiana Purchase
31. The Hobbit
32. Steep
33. Tortilla
34. Daniel
35. Great Gatsby
36. Kilimanjaro
37. Revenge
38. Rolling Stone
39. Sulphur
40. Glass Menagerie
41. Robot
42. Caspian Sea
43. Maybelline
44. Ponce de Leon
45. The Portuguese
46. Aida
47. Liver
48. Maroon 5
49. Goon
50. Board Game of Thrones
For 5 I said Virgo rather than Libra, as Astraea was a virgin and the symbol for Virgo is a woman. Libra is the only sign of the zodiac whose symbol is an object.
tmz1m
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tmz1m »

Just got an invite for the February 3 audition in Denver! Yay, my first audition. I've been a lurker on this board for a while, but have never posted.

Any really good threads about how to prepare for the audition? I've read a few "what to expect" stories, but I guess I'm interested in some materials that people might recommend reviewing in the next two weeks. This will be my first audition for J (was slated to appear on the Weakest Link years ago until it was canceled). Thanks!
pburns1587
Valued Contributor

Post by pburns1587 »

After seeing the February 3rd statements in this thread, I was hoping there was a different day, but alas, no luck. I got the email today for Feb 3, but I can't make it due to a work obligation.

More time to study, then! Good luck to everyone else who got the call and can make it!
Consciously Incompetent