Wednesday, December 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by legendneverdies »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:I don't remember the $2 bill clue, but how was there any trickery on this clue?

I might regret I asked, though.

Brian
a) that clue asked for total of the bills with presidents on the front.

b) this clue has exactly the same amount of trickery and chicanery as that one (i.e. none whatsoever).

There was a triple stumper FJ! on 6/20/2000 asking for the total of one each of all US bills in circulation($188). ISTR that was also a FInal J! in the first or second Trebek season, back when ALl New Let's Make a Deal was showing out of circulation $500 and $1000 bills during deals.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to India on Movies for $1,000?
It was a bottom row clue, so it was meant to be difficult. The movie was widely advertised on sports networks when it opened. Otherwise, you'd have to know the prominent cricket playing countries. Of those, there have been British-born and Australian-born Major League Baseball players.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
davey

Post by davey »

silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to India on Movies for $1,000?
It was a bottom row clue, so it was meant to be difficult. The movie was widely advertised on sports networks when it opened. Otherwise, you'd have to know the prominent cricket playing countries. Of those, there have been British-born and Australian-born Major League Baseball players.
The movie was widely advertised everywhere when it opened. The commercials were clear about where it takes place.

About the "trickery" of this FJ -
If it wasn't a kids' game, I might have worried that something other than the obvious was intended. Since it was, I quickly dismissed anything but D.C. I'll bet the writers were as surprised as I was that the kids went for the too complicated answer...
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

bpmod wrote:
mbclev wrote:That FJ clue almost ranks right up there with the infamous $2 bill clue of November 22, 2011 in terms of trickery and chicanery by the J! staff.
I don't remember the $2 bill clue, but how was there any trickery on this clue?

Brian
The trickery in that clue is that I reckon that none of the contestants that day had ever seen a $2 bill in their lives, and I think most of this country's population had never seen such a bill as well. (I am at least fortunate to have been to Monticello, where they give out $2 bills as change for admission.) That denomination is not printed out every year, and even then only in limited quantities (http://www.moneyfactory.gov/uscurrency/ ... gures.html). As you might see in that link, $2 bills were produced in fiscal year 2012, possibly in response to that particular FJ clue. That is what got me very upset, knowing the J! staff tricked those contestants into responding "What is $76?" instead of "What is $78?".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mbclev wrote:The trickery in that clue is that I reckon that none of the contestants that day had ever seen a $2 bill in their lives, and I think most of this country's population had never seen such a bill as well.
I've never seen the Mona Lisa, a copy of Metamorphosis, a Spider-Man comic, the movie The Godfather, a marijuana joint, or an Urban Outfitters store in my life. And I could find dozens of people who haven't either. But "have never seen" and "are unaware of" are not the same thing; I am aware of certain things that I have not personally seen (contrary to what some may believe :lol: ) and can at least recognize them as things.

There are several stories of people confusing cashiers by paying with $2 bills, so I would just as easily bet that the contestants who faced that clue were at least aware that the $2 is still in circulation even if they personally have never seen one. Maybe they just forgot about its existence under the lights. Maybe they knew that the $2 was still in circulation, but forgot whether or not the person on it is a president. Maybe they weren't sure if it still existed and just took a wrong guess on it being defunct. Maybe, as I did, they just screwed up the math somehow. I could see someone just plain being unaware that the $2 exists and getting it wrong on those merits alone, but I think you're greatly overstating your case. The clue is slightly tricky in that regard, but even for someone who struggles with FJ! as frequently as I do, I see it as a clue that is still very gettable with just the right amount of brainpower.

You don't think that using two obviously Italian surnames to pin you to a French island, using a reference to "The Hatfields & McCoys of this island" that literally no one else on this forum could decode, is worse?
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

TenPoundHammer wrote:There are several stories of people confusing cashiers by paying with $2 bills, so I would just as easily bet that the contestants who faced that clue were at least aware that the $2 is still in circulation even if they personally have never seen one. Maybe they just forgot about its existence under the lights. Maybe they knew that the $2 was still in circulation, but forgot whether or not the person on it is a president. Maybe they weren't sure if it still existed and just took a wrong guess on it being defunct. Maybe, as I did, they just screwed up the math somehow. I could see someone just plain being unaware that the $2 exists and getting it wrong on those merits alone, but I think you're greatly overstating your case. The clue is slightly tricky in that regard, but even for someone who struggles with FJ! as frequently as I do, I see it as a clue that is still very gettable with just the right amount of brainpower.

You don't think that using two obviously Italian surnames to pin you to a French island, using a reference to "The Hatfields & McCoys of this island" that literally no one else on this forum could decode, is worse?
First of all, I do not think the contestants were even aware that $2 bills were still in circulation because of their never seeing one in their lives because of the aforementioned link, so I am not overstating this case. And secondly, I think my response to that FJ that you mentioned was "What is Sicily?", but at least I was somewhat aware, I think, of Corsica, because I studied French in my youth for a lot of years, and I think a lot of people are aware of that island as well, so the $2 bill clue is worse than the Corsica FJ.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mbclev wrote:
bpmod wrote:
mbclev wrote:That FJ clue almost ranks right up there with the infamous $2 bill clue of November 22, 2011 in terms of trickery and chicanery by the J! staff.
I don't remember the $2 bill clue, but how was there any trickery on this clue?

Brian
The trickery in that clue is that I reckon that none of the contestants that day had ever seen a $2 bill in their lives, and I think most of this country's population had never seen such a bill as well. (I am at least fortunate to have been to Monticello, where they give out $2 bills as change for admission.) That denomination is not printed out every year, and even then only in limited quantities (http://www.moneyfactory.gov/uscurrency/ ... gures.html). As you might see in that link, $2 bills were produced in fiscal year 2012, possibly in response to that particular FJ clue. That is what got me very upset, knowing the J! staff tricked those contestants into responding "What is $76?" instead of "What is $78?".
I think you greatly misunderstood my use of the word 'this'.

But, at least, thank you for reminding me of the earlier clue where there was also no trickery. I have never seen a US $2 bill, but I know they exist and factored it into my incorrect response to that clue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Evidently "trickery" is the new "I didn't know that."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
mbclev wrote:The trickery in that clue is that I reckon that none of the contestants that day had ever seen a $2 bill in their lives, and I think most of this country's population had never seen such a bill as well.
I've never seen the Mona Lisa, a copy of Metamorphosis, a Spider-Man comic, the movie The Godfather, a marijuana joint, or an Urban Outfitters store in my life.
Same on all counts for me as well. (Don't even know if I can identify a scent as "marijuana"). I have seen (and have a couple of) US$2 bills though.
TenPoundHammer wrote:And I could find dozens of people who haven't either. But "have never seen" and "are unaware of" are not the same thing; I am aware of certain things that I have not personally seen (contrary to what some may believe :lol: ) and can at least recognize them as things.
TPH is explaining to a boardie that you don't have to have seen something to be aware of it (more so for the smarty pants that are J! players)??? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH TPH????
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't know whether the fact that I'm saner than mbclev says more about me or more about mbclev.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:And I could find dozens of people who haven't either. But "have never seen" and "are unaware of" are not the same thing; I am aware of certain things that I have not personally seen (contrary to what some may believe :lol: ) and can at least recognize them as things.
TPH is explaining to a boardie that you don't have to have seen something to be aware of it (more so for the smarty pants that are J! players)??? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH TPH????
Twice in a week? Something must be going on.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

As a further example of this, I offer this link to a Washington, D.C. high school's basketball championship. Notice that on this page that it refers to the governing body of high school athletics in Washington as a "State" athletic association, which is further proof that J! tricked the contestants on this day. (I don't care about the population number in the FJ clue; D.C. is practically a state for all intents and purposes.)

http://www.hdwoodsonwarriors.org/apps/n ... cle/552630
davey

Post by davey »

Which means it isn't one, right? I mean, has anyone ever said, Massachusetts is practically a state for all intents and purposes...?
I'm glad the DC athletic association can work with other AAs around the country though... :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:Which means it isn't one, right? I mean, has anyone ever said, Massachusetts is practically a state for all intents and purposes...?
Probably not, but it is one of the four states that calls itself a commonwealth.
Spoiler
The other three are Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

davey wrote:Which means it isn't one, right?
If you want to get technical about it, you are correct, but extreme technicality is not what those contestants that day wanted to deal with. Because of the link I just provided, most people would think D.C. is a state, because it's on the U.S. mainland, and the clue seemed to suggest that the correct response was a city OFF the U.S. mainland (again, forget the population number in the clue).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

mbclev wrote:
If you want to get technical about it, you are correct, but extreme technicality is not what those contestants that day wanted to deal with. Because of the link I just provided, most people would think D.C. is a state, because it's on the U.S. mainland, and the clue seemed to suggest that the correct response was a city OFF the U.S. mainland (again, forget the population number in the clue).
What in the hell gives you the right to speak for these players? Have you talked to them? Have you read their thoughts on the issue? I wouldn't be so arrogant as to give their opinion for them, but I strongly suspect that even as 11-year olds, they'd have the maturity to recognize that they just flat-out missed the clue and wouldn't want some "crusader" on the internet to be making the inane argument that they got a raw deal over a year later.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mbclev wrote:
Just because someone is wrong in their assumptions doesn't mean they are right in their assumptions.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

jeff6286 wrote:
mbclev wrote:
What in the hell gives you the right to speak for these players? Have you talked to them? Have you read their thoughts on the issue? I wouldn't be so arrogant as to give their opinion for them, but I strongly suspect that even as 11-year olds, they'd have the maturity to recognize that they just flat-out missed the clue and wouldn't want some "crusader" on the internet to be making the inane argument that they got a raw deal over a year later.
It is NOT an inane argument! (Look at the link again, if you care.) I was suckered into that too, and I am sure they were not taught at that time that Washington, D.C. is not a state. If they looked at the aforementioned link, I'm sure they would agree with me on this. I think maybe 80% of the country would have been tricked, too.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have no idea why the DC High Schools Athletic Association calls themselves a state organization. That does not make them a state.
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

Bamaman wrote:I have no idea why the DC High Schools Athletic Association calls themselves a state organization. That does not make them a state.
It only serves to confuse the general public, which I why I revived this thread and offered further proof that I and that day's contestants were tricked on this FJ clue. I saw A USA Today boys' high school basketball poll that listed H.D. Woodson seventh, and the listing mentioned the DCSAA. And again, the link says "District of Columbia STATE Athletic Association", in case you didn't read it correctly. In fact, here is a link to that organization:

http://dcsaasports.org
Last edited by mbclev on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.