Wednesday, December 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6953, 2014-12-03

2014 Kids Week game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Jake McCrory, an 11-year-old from Pueblo, Colorado
Gabby Fusco, an 11-year-old from Maspeth, New York
Grace Acton, from Harvard, Massachusetts

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard. I hope you have all been as impressed as I have been with the great performances so far this week by these very talented young people. Two days in a row, the winner exceeds the $15,000 minimum guarantee. Will it happen again today? It all depends on you three--Jake, Gabby, and Grace. You ready to go to work?

Gabby: Yes, sir.

Alex: Okay, pick up those signaling devices. Here come the categories for the Jeopardy! Round. They are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE BIBLE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIES (5/5)
ETIQUETTE (4/5)
TRANSPORTATION PHRASES (2/3)
CALIFORNIA (4/5)
GAMES (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jake: 14 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Grace: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Gabby: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jake found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Grace had $800, Gabby had $400, and Jake was at $4,600. Jake wagered $500.

THE BIBLE $1000: The longest of these songs is number 119, with 176 verses
(Jake: What... are hymns?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jake: $4,100
Grace: $800
Gabby: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Even though he's only 11 years old, this young man, Jake McCrory, was team leader for his Brain Bowl group?

Jake: Yeah.

Alex: Now where do you guys compete?

Jake: Well, in our district, we--it's a different school each year--a different elementary school.

Alex: Aha. And how did your team do this year?

Jake: We came back from behind from a rough start and won it.

Alex: You won it?

Jake: Yes.

Alex: Hello. Did they give you a big trophy? Do you win cash prizes and stuff?

Jake: No, we just got a big trophy.

Alex: Oh. Felt pretty good coming back to school with that, didn't it?

Jake: Yeah.

Alex: Yeah, I bet. Okay.

Alex: Gabby Fusco from Maspeth, New York--she also is 11 years old and wants to be a scientist. What kind of scientist?

Gabby: I would like to be a pathologist.

Alex: Oh. Why?

Gabby: I also want to discover a cure for, like, a major disease, like cancer.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: All right, Grace Acton is from Massachusetts. She enjoys working with computers, and she has ambitions regarding computer games. What would you like to accomplish?

Grace: I'd like to make computer games that have, like, some of my favorite book characters in them.

Alex: Why do you want to do that? Just for fun, or because it could be lucrative in terms of the money?

Grace: [Chuckles] Uh, I actually wanna do that because my sisters and I have always enjoyed playing them together.

Alex: Okay, good for you. You ready to continue in this game?

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GAMES $200: Boots of Butt-Kicking & the Staff of Napalm are in this game that shares its name with a "Wizard of Oz" folk

GAMES $600: In the app called Sushi Monster, kids practice this school subject by feeding the title monster sushi
(Jake: What is karate?)

THE BIBLE $800: This great & wise king built his temple around 1000 B.C.

ETIQUETTE $800: When you're at the dinner table, turn off this Apple device introduced in April 2010, even if you're winning at Fruit Ninja
(Gabby: What is an iPhone?)
(Jake: What is a cell phone?)

TRANSPORTATION PHRASES $400: Someone who keeps giving unwelcome advice is this kind of "driver"
(Alex: I'm sure you've heard the term a "[*] driver". Not very popular.)

CALIFORNIA $1000: One of the state's landmarks is Half Dome, located at the head of this valley in the same-named national park
(Jake: What is Death Valley?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jake: $4,100
Grace: $2,800
Gabby: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5)
MAKING YOU WATCH TELEVISION (4/5)
AROUND THE BODY (4/5)
COLORFUL BOOK TITLES (4/5)
FROZEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET IT "GO" (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Those two letters will either begin or end each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jake: 12 R, 4 W
Grace: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Gabby: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Grace snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Grace had $7,600, Gabby had $600, and Jake was at $7,300. Grace wagered $1,000.

FROZEN $1600: Made up of ice, dust & gas, these space objects are sometimes referred to as "dirty snowballs"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Grace who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Grace had $7,400, Gabby was in the red with -$1,400, and Jake was at $7,700. Grace wagered $1,000.

LET IT "GO" $1200: A group of islands such as the Bismarck one in the Southwest Pacific
(Alex: Grace?)
(Grace: [shrugs])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AROUND THE BODY $1200: Over most of the body, this outermost layer of skin is about as thick as a sheet of paper

COLORFUL BOOK TITLES $2000: "Anne of Green Gables" by Lucy Maud Montgomery takes place on this Canadian island
(Gabby: What is Labrador?)
(Jake: What is Nova Scotia?)
(Grace: What is Newfoundland?)

MAKING YOU WATCH TELEVISION $2000: Octavia Spencer's Nurse Jackson takes no guff from the young Ocean Park Hospital patients on this Fox drama

LET IT "GO" $1600: Have some family fun traveling the country in one of these R.V.s
(Gabby: What is a camper?)
(Jake: What is... a mountain R.V.?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Grace: $11,600
Jake: $9,700
Gabby: -$1,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: ...and we have bad news for you, Gabby, because you're in a negative situation, it means you won't be around for Final Jeopardy! But you'll automatically pick up $1,000 for a third place finish...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. GEOGRAPHY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Grace: It's a big wager, but you might regret it if you don't cover Jake by wagering $7,801.
Jake: Risk between $3,801 (venusian) and $5,900 (martian).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city of 650,000 people is the most populous U.S. city not found in a U.S. state

FINAL SCORES
Jake: $9,700 - $5,101 = $4,599 (What is San Juan?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Grace: $11,600 - $5,000 = $6,600 (What is San Juan, Puerto Rico) (Winner: $15,000)
(Alex: [revealing Jake's response] San Juan has a population only about half of that 650,000 we talked about.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Grace: $13,200, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jake: $10,200, 26 R, 9 W (including 1 DD)
Gabby: -$1,400, 6 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $22,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jake: 26/59 = .441
Grace: 14/60 = .233
Gabby: 6/58 = .103
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MOVIES $200: Hiccup, Toothless, Astrid & the rest of the gang return in the sequel to this movie with Vikings & dragons
(Gabby: What is [*]--)
(Alex: Y--.)
(Gabby: --2.)
(Alex: Yes.)

TRANSPORTATION PHRASES $600: Taken from a 1960s TV show: "beam me up", this guy means "get me out of here"
(Jake: What is Star Trek?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Grace.)

CALIFORNIA $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco.) From this vantage point at the California Academy of Sciences, I completely understand why this species was the king of its prehistoric age

CALIFORNIA $600: The original name of California's biggest metropolis translates as "the village of the queen of" these beings
(Alex: [*], from Los Angeles, yes.)

AROUND THE BODY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical diagram on the monitor.) In humans, the central nervous system consists of the brain & this long cable of nerves

AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: This colony, established by Pilgrims in 1620, celebrated the first Thanksgiving in 1621
(Gabby: What is Massachusetts?)
(Jake: What is the Massachusetts Bay Colony?)

AMERICAN HISTORY $800: In 2002, he became the third American president to win the Nobel Peace Prize

FROZEN $400: On 7/11 participating 7-Eleven stores give away a free one of these slushy drinks
(Grace: What is an Icee?)

FROZEN $800: In January of 2014, when temperatures hit record lows, this natural wonder on the U.S./Canadian border became an icy spectacle

LET IT "GO" $800: Kids young & old like to hit the track in one of these

AROUND THE BODY $1600: 2 coronary these supply blood to the heart muscle
(Jake: What are veins?)
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
psalms
Munchkin
math
Solomon
an iPad
backseat
Yosemite
comets
an archipelago
the epidermis
Prince Edward Island
Red Band Society
a Winnebago
Washington, D.C.
How to Train Your Dragon
Scotty
the T. rex (Tyrannosaurus rex)
angels
the spinal cord
Plymouth
Jimmy Carter
a Slurpee
Niagara Falls
a go-kart
arteries
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

NBC is airing a preview special for the ROckefeller Center Kwanzaa eve tree lighting ceremony from 7-8PM EST tonight, so J! and WOF will face some preemptions on the East Coast where J! and/or WOF airs from 7-8PM on an NBC station.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. Geography
This city of 650,000 people is the most populous U.S. city not found in a U.S. state.

Spoiler
What is Washington D.C.? Jake and Grace both said San Juan. (About 395,000)

Grace Acton: $11,600-$5,000=$6,600...wins $15,000
Jake McCrory: $9,700-$5,101=$4,599
Gabby Fusco (-$1,400)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Aced 2 Categoryies 4/5 on bible(which i know almost nothing about, got all 3 DDs and fell into the same trap as the 2 on stage players for FInal.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Munchkin, Sushi Monster, and Settlers of Catan were awfully tough. Yet again my hopes at a 30/30 go out the window on the first clue. Can we poll Munchkin?

What led to India on Movies for $1,000?

I thought the iPad clue was nasty negbait. I've heard of people being told not to use their phones at the table, but never their iPads.

Damn it, self. For the millionth time, Yosemite is in California. YELLOWSTONE is the one in Wyoming.

So that's what Jimmy Carter looks like. I had no idea and WAG'd Clinton.

Comets are made of ice?!

NHO Thundermans, Wild Kratts, Red Band Society, Island of Blue Dolphins.

FJ! seemed way too wide open. I couldn't think of anything to help narrow it down. Not in a state? Well, let's try overseas. San Juan? Nah, that's gotta be something else. Um… someting in Guam? Nah, keep thinking. Um… crap, what else do we own. Something in the Virgin Islands? No. I got nothing. Finally hit me 10 seconds after the music ended. Tunnel vision to the MAX.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was the weakest of the three Kids' Week games so far, with quite a few negs and triple stumpers. I got 45 clues correct including Munchkin, Solomon, back seat, Prince Edward Island, Winnebago, and FJ. I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

42 right.

Bible- 4; Movie- 3; Etiquette- 2; Transportation- 3; California- 3; Games- 5
History- 5; TV- 1; Body- 3; Book- 4; Frozen- 4; "Go"- 5

Lach Trash: "Munchkin", "Math", "Solomon", "Psalms" (DD), "backseat", "epidermis", "archipelago" (DD), "Winnebago"

Fell into the trap of San Juan as well.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Lach trash: math, iPad, backseat driver, epidermis, Red Band Society, and Winnebago, plus DDs Psalms and archipelago.
It looked like a low scoring game, but IMO several of those clues would have been better for the Teen Tournament. Rex Band Society? For a 12-year-old? Same with backseat driver. Even iPad wasn't that egregious, seeing as these kids were 7 or 8 in 2010 and too young to have those devices, so they wouldn't realize that the iPhone was older.

I liked Grace and was glad to see her win. I thought it was sad that Gabby didn't get to do the after-credits chat; IIRC the girl on my Kids Week who didn't play Final got to do it (although honestly that day was one huge blur, so I could be wrong).

I overthought FJ, going with San Juan like the kids, even thinking it was an instaget. My mom got it and the second she said it, I knew she was right.
Last edited by nightreign on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I agree w/above; much negbait, including the FJ which if lacking careful, deliberate and literal reading/interpretation leads you straight off the map; I also got sucked into offering "San Juan" and imagine my shocked surprise to find I had missed D.C., the hometown I love to hate just 40 miles up the road, gah! (although Arlington County was ceded back to Virginia in 1866, Maryland has at least twice declined to resorb that portion of DC donated by the old Line State for the Federal District; Gosh, whyever not?!?).

51 correct responses, no misses except FJ, and lach trash on Prince Edward Island for Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, Winnebago, I-pad, King Solomon, Backseat driver.

Other interesting clues: Bible; Longest of these #119 = Psalms; Yosemite Park and Valley of same name = hoe of Half-Dome; nice pic of frozen Niagara Falls! >Silver Chair of Narnia series, Clive Staples Lewis' books have been hit pretty hard in this kid's tournament and also in TOC; I precall it will appear in some form on the on-line test!; nice pic of a very happy Jimmy Carter getting Nobel Pax in 2002; Zebulon Pike in CO has now appeared 4 times in past year... hint hint... and archipelago has appeared on TOC as well (Canaries and Azores)... IMHO would be worth knowing, eh?

Loved the "Wild Kratts" TV kids' shows, my kid loves that show and it is WELL worth watching on Sat nite they run marathons of 6 back-to-back episodes, every one is action-packed full of animal J-trivia! Not a single episode goes by without some stock clue straight off animal facts. I prep the natural history category every week watching that silly kids show, it's great!! Check it out! :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ was a coin flip and it landed on the right side for me. The population seemed about right for DC so that was the clincher for me.

Dumb celebs get to play FJ if they are in the negative after ringing in just to say they are stupid. But let's kick some cute kid to the curb.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:FJ was a coin flip and it landed on the right side for me. The population seemed about right for DC so that was the clincher for me.

Dumb celebs get to play FJ if they are in the negative after ringing in just to say they are stupid. But let's kick some cute kid to the curb.
I didn't think that Washington's population was that low, but seeing as the clue specified "the biggest", there was no way it could be anything but.

I don't think that they should let kids play FJ! when finishing in the red just 'cause they're cute. The celebs are not playing for themselves, but for charity, so the rules allow for that. However, I was quite surprised that the middle girl (Gabby?) was not back for the post-game chat. Anybody here happen to have been there and might know why that was?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jake looked downright unhappy when the winner was proclaimed. He so dominated the first 2/3 of the game that I think maybe he expected it was inevitable that he would win. FJ was instaget for me. It was only when Jake's answer was revealed that I thought "uh, oh," especially when AT slowly and deliberatively read the answer the way he does when it's correct. But I was vindicated.

I did damned fine on the boards, but it doesn't bring me a sense of satisfaction knowing I could have (maybe) beaten a bunch of pre-teens.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

floridagator wrote: I did damned fine on the boards, but it doesn't bring me a sense of satisfaction knowing I could have (maybe) beaten a bunch of pre-teens.
The kiddie boards are composed primarily of stock recurring material, presented in the simplest recall format; i.e.; Instead of a clue; "She had her Sister Arsinoe IV murdered on the steps of the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus around 34 BC" they offer; "She was the last queen of Egypt" = "Who was Cleopatra (VII)" and instead of; "It has teeth but no jaws" they offer: "It's another name for cogwheel" = What's a gear? Hence, they're not really 'dumbed down' clues, so much as presented in the least deceptive, least confusing manner, producing the most straightforward possible board for young players. TBVH, IMHO the material is the same standard, stock clue database, just reformatted into a very clear, non-typical J! style so that most American family members can respond.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Count me among those who immediately jumped to San Juan for Final.

Poor Gabby just couldn't get off the ground. Someone on Sports Jeopardy! today said he was surprised at how much momentum played into the game, and he's certainly right. I wonder if, perhaps, she was just too upset by her performance to come back onstage at the end?

TV for $1600: Think they would've accepted Kratt's Kreatures, assuming this was a regular game? Not that they would expect that answer, given who was playing, but I wonder...
アタックチャンス!
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

goatman wrote: The kiddie boards are composed primarily of stock recurring material, presented in the simplest recall format; i.e.; Instead of a clue; "She had her Sister Arsinoe IV murdered on the steps of the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus around 34 BC" they offer; "She was the last queen of Egypt" = "Who was Cleopatra (VII)" and instead of; "It has teeth but no jaws" they offer: "It's another name for cogwheel" = What's a gear? Hence, they're not really 'dumbed down' clues, so much as presented in the least deceptive, least confusing manner, producing the most straightforward possible board for young players. TBVH, IMHO the material is the same standard, stock clue database, just reformatted into a very clear, non-typical J! style so that most American family members can respond.
I don't know about that. The pop culture will certainly change (i.e. imagine the kids trying to attack"No. 1 Albums of the 60s"). But I also think Jeopardy! for adults requires greater depth than kid's week. (i.e. the Mersey river, Cardigan Bay, soporiphic, apocrypha, all in the game mentioned above) Now, I only wish we could pin down the general adult clues to a small subset, but that takes away the challenge of Jeopardy! for me; its unpredictability makes it more fun, I think.
Last edited by ZachTheRiah on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:FJ was a coin flip and it landed on the right side for me. The population seemed about right for DC so that was the clincher for me.

I didn't think that Washington's population was that low, but seeing as the clue specified "the biggest", there was no way it could be anything but.

I don't think that they should let kids play FJ! when finishing in the red just 'cause they're cute. The celebs are not playing for themselves, but for charity, so the rules allow for that. However, I was quite surprised that the middle girl (Gabby?) was not back for the post-game chat. Anybody here happen to have been there and might know why that was?

Brian
I really don't think kids should get to play FJ in the red, either. But I don't like bringing celebs back. Yes, they are playing for charity, but the charity gets a minimum guarantee, so just give them that and we can have a two-player FJ. They bring them back just to give the D-list bimbo more face time on camera.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Munchkin, Sushi Monster, and Settlers of Catan were awfully tough. Yet again my hopes at a 30/30 go out the window on the first clue. Can we poll Munchkin?

What led to India on Movies for $1,000?
Sure, I can poll Munchkin. Wizard of Oz folk? Guess what? It's gonna be Munchkin and not...The Flying Monkeys? The Lollipop Guild? Lullaby League? What else did you consider?

A live action movie clue about sports? The odds were not in your favor from the get-go. Right, lots of countries play cricket. For the bottom box there is not always going to be an extra hint. Jake had to know something about the film and he did.

28/30 for me in the DJ! round with a miss dating myself badly guessing Zoboomafoo for Wild Kratts and NHOI on Thundersons. Have the writers seen Red Band Society? The show is not really age 9-13 appropriate. A Fox show that airs Wednesdays at 9 in its first season? I would guess about three episodes only had aired on taping day? The $2000 was very safe.

I like seeing Sarah at the Academy of Sciences knowing it was taped within walking distance of me.

The FJ! clue had me think of a famous U.S. City not in a state and I wrote Washington, D.C. to have a guess. If we were playing Guesstimania I would have been in seven figures for the population there as I had no idea it was that "low." Mentally I thought about San Juan, but felt for Kids Week I should not complicate matters. Interesting that both players did the Puerto Rico thing. Yes, Alex gave me a moment of dread when he did his wind up on the first reveal.

The minimum came in handy tonight to more than double Grace's winning total. She won a game in her only shot on the show. Yes, that should pay more than $6,600.

When Alex delivered the bad news to Gabby at the end of the DJ! round there was some blinking with moist eyes after the best try at a smile making it look like she was seconds away from not being camera ready. It's too bad she was not in the closing credits, but I would think it was Gabby and/or parents choice for best decision at the moment and not a producer blockade.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:28/30 for me in the DJ! round with a miss dating myself badly guessing Zoboomafoo for Wild Kratts and NHOI on Thundersons. Have the writers seen Red Band Society? The show is not really age 9-13 appropriate.
27/30 for me, not having heard of any of those three shows.

Put me in with the San Juan people. That may be my first Kid's Week miss ever.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WooWho? wrote:TV for $1600: Think they would've accepted Kratt's Kreatures, assuming this was a regular game? Not that they would expect that answer, given who was playing, but I wonder...
I said this too and thought it was something I'd made up. Funny how I recognize that but not Wild Kratts. Judges?
MarkBarrett wrote:Sure, I can poll Munchkin. Wizard of Oz folk? Guess what? It's gonna be Munchkin and not...The Flying Monkeys? The Lollipop Guild? Lullaby League? What else did you consider?
I was more like "um... durr, what was in the Wizard of Oz again?" Remember that I once thought the Dormouse was a Wizard of Oz character.