Sports Jeopardy episode 11 12/3(spoilers)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy episode 11 12/3(spoilers)

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
The two highest aired final scorers of the season, 29001 and runner up score 29000, occur on today's episode.
MarkBarrett

Re: Sports Jeopardy episode 11 12/3(spoilers)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Strange game with such high scores yet none of them knew The Pride of the Yankees. Paavo Nurmi has been correct on many regular J! games, yet he was a stumper in Sports J!

I liked that each guy had a correct DD response. That was cool to see Tom Dempsey's shoe. I saw him kick in a game for the Rams and that is where watching football in person can't compare to watching at home to appreciate the distances the kickers send the ball through the uprights.

The FJ! clue had me write his name immediately to lock it in. I don't know all the MVP winners but running the winning teams in the 1970s is easy with all the repeat champs. It had to be Mr. October. I wonder who Kyle thought Tony Perez's other winning WS teams could have been?

I suspect we may have seen one of the finalists based on the first 11 games, but plenty of games to go.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

I was in the audience for this game. Good board and nice play by all contestants. Very enjoyable to watch. Dan Patrick was still getting settled as the host. Viewers may have noticed a slight delay at a couple of points. When players answered with a last name only, Patrick would look to the judges for their confirmation that the information provided was sufficient.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I found the game choppy. At times it would start and stop abruptly and the actual audio would change to being a bit muffled and then changed back. I don't think anything was buffering on my end, I just don't think it was edited well.

DJ was easier for me. I also got FJ, but I'm in my 50s.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ wasn't something I knew but Reggie seemed a safe bet. Couldn't believe the Yankees fan didn't know the Gehrig movie. Fighting Words will not be happy someone mixed up the Rockys.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Finally, a score that looks like it has a chance at the finals.

Thought these questions seemed easier than most of the other weeks. No big non-core categories for me.

I also reflexively said Marciano without really paying attention to the details of the question.

I didn't notice the choppiness mentioned by others.

Brain lock on FJ. Couldn't come up with anybody; got stuck dwelling on the Reds, and I am old enough (45) to have known it.
Sheepin' it real.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Niki cruised to a score that could get him into the final. During the round table discussion, I thought that he would mention the Lou Gehrig "Pride of the Yankees" as the clue he wish that he got, since he had just been introduced as a big Yankees fan. He did redeem his Yankees cred with the Don Larsen response though.

Lach Trash: Pride of the Yankees, Pavlo Nurmi, Chicago Bulls. Got the Pavlo Nurmi one from reading that big David Wallechinsky Olympics books.

Instaget FJ :) My grandparents and parents went to the 1972-1974 World Series won by the Oakland A's, so Reggie Jackson just came to mind.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ryno wrote:Lach Trash: Pride of the Yankees, Pavlo Nurmi, Chicago Bulls. Got the Pavlo Nurmi one from reading that big David Wallechinsky Olympics books.
Paavo
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ryno wrote: Instaget FJ :) My grandparents and parents went to the 1972-1974 World Series won by the Oakland A's, so Reggie Jackson just came to mind.
Reggie and others from the A's dynasty played minor league ball together in Birmingham. My mother told me a story once that they were at a game and my father pointed at Jackson and said he was going to be the next Willie Mays. Jackson proceeded to drop a fly ball just a few minutes later.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

20 right in J and 17 in DJ. My best game to date. Consequently I thought it was easier than the earlier ones. It took me about 15 seconds of musing before coming up with Reggie. This game's a riot.
Le Flaneur
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

World Series MVPs
He's the only player to win the World Series MVP for 2 different teams; both were in the 70s.

Spoiler
Who is Reggie Jackson? Kyle said Tony Perez.

Nikhil Ramakrishna: 17,000+12,001=29,001...wins $5,000
Larry Salomon: 14,500+14,500=29,000
Kyle Koster: 8,500-3,000=5,500
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Finally... a bit of a break from the tough clues we've been seeing lately. Well, at least in the DJ round.

12/3: 18,000 (FJ: :mrgreen:)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Huge break for Nikhil as Larry hit the DD on the last clue and had no choice but to bet big. It meant that Nikhil had to bet big in FJ in order to secure the win, leading to his big payday and possible berth in the finals. It would have been interesting if Larry had missed the DD, leaving the scores 17000-8500-500. Nikhil could bet 0 and at worst play a tiebreaker clue for the $5,000, he could bet 1 and just know that he only loses if he is wrong and Kyle is right. Or, and this is the beauty of this format, he could bet something like 15,999, knowing (or at least assuming) that Kyle has to bet it all, so if Kyle is wrong he drops to 0, and Larry has a max score of 1,000, so a miss by Kyle means that any score between 1,001 and 34,000 is going to win him the same $5,000, so he might as well bet big and hope to put up a huge total with a correct response.

So if Larry misses the DD, and Nikhil follows this strategy, he wins with 32,999, not a huge improvement over the 29,001 he ended up with in this case, but I could see other games in which the flat $5,000 winner's prize could make for some interesting wagering possibilities for a sharp player.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Even if he only had another 3,998 points, it helps his positioning for the TOC. A big bet doesn't cost him anything if he still wins the game, unlike the regular show.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:Even if he only had another 3,998 points, it helps his positioning for the TOC. A big bet doesn't cost him anything if he still wins the game, unlike the regular show.
Yes, but I don't blame him for not making that big bet with the scores the way they actually were. Third place was in a very unpredictable spot as far as wagering goes, so to me it makes sense for the leader to just make the MSB like NIkhil did. As it turned out, Kyle made a very astute (or lucky) wager, dropping to 5,500, which would have won him the game on triple stumper, as Nikhil's MSBIW score was 4,999, so in hindsight Nikhil could have just bet it all, but I don't expect that wager from 3rd place very often.
BobF

Post by BobF »

About the 3rd name I thought of, but I did get it with time to spare.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Even if he only had another 3,998 points, it helps his positioning for the TOC. A big bet doesn't cost him anything if he still wins the game, unlike the regular show.
Yes, but I don't blame him for not making that big bet with the scores the way they actually were. Third place was in a very unpredictable spot as far as wagering goes, so to me it makes sense for the leader to just make the MSB like NIkhil did. As it turned out, Kyle made a very astute (or lucky) wager, dropping to 5,500, which would have won him the game on triple stumper, as Nikhil's MSBIW score was 4,999, so in hindsight Nikhil could have just bet it all, but I don't expect that wager from 3rd place very often.
I agree he made the right bet, I was just replying to your comment if the guy had missed the last DD.

I think the TOC will consist of players like the one from this game, players forced to make a big bet because the game is close and the both have big scores.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
I agree he made the right bet, I was just replying to your comment if the guy had missed the last DD.

I think the TOC will consist of players like the one from this game, players forced to make a big bet because the game is close and the both have big scores.
This seems to be the unfair/random part of tournament qualification, that you could dominate in the rest of the game, then only need to bet small in FJ to win, or if your game is highly competitive, it is going to push you to bet large on FJ.

Does anyone know, are all questions determined for a game prior to selecting the players for that game, e.g., would they decide to remove a category or FJ that was about the Dodgers if one of the contestants turned out to be a big Dodgers fan?
Sheepin' it real.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Does anyone know, are all questions determined for a game prior to selecting the players for that game, e.g., would they decide to remove a category or FJ that was about the Dodgers if one of the contestants turned out to be a big Dodgers fan?
THey pick the categories and questions/answers for the game before they know who will be playing.
TomSegi
Contributor

Post by TomSegi »

This isn't specifically related to the episode, but does anyone know if the show is still taping episodes? I think the original plan was three different taping sessions (Fall 2014, Winter 2014, and Spring 2015). Just wondering if they are still calling potential contestants or if they are finished for the season.