Tuesday, December 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Re: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BADuBois »

Gee, I don't know. Seemed like a meh game to me, lots of blank faces and expired clues.

Really enjoyed the also ran category... I ran it on this end.

FJ was an Instaget, for obvious reasons, and I had to scratch my head at the other answers. Dracula? Frankenstein? What, no Wolfman? :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

goforthetie wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I thought the bottom two in European Holidays were very tough. Walpurgis Night seems like a really obscure pick, and using a very obviously Dutch name like "Jan" to pin a clue to the Czech Republic seemed dirty.

What led to Sedona on US Cities for $1600?
They weren't using the first name as a clue; Jan Hus is a very notable figure. And Sedona is famous precisely because of its red rock formations.
Plus, Jan is not "obviously" Dutch and shows up across Eastern Europe and Scandinavia.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I too was puzzled as to why they didn't accept 'robot' on the Transformers question... seemed a little specific. They didn't ask for what model
of car on the Christine question (1958 Plymouth Fury?). It definitely made me afraid to 'buzz in' on 'The Ring'. I knew that after you watched the videotape, you
died in seven days... but was it actually 'the videotape' that killed you??

Haven't heard the term 'lemma' since my college math classes (40 years ago now, sad to say!) ... I got it, but thought it was pretty hard even with the 'horns of' TOM.
Fermat seemed more gettable to a non-math type person, but when they didn't get that, I was pretty sure no one was going to come up with Godel. The book 'Godel, Escher, Bach' by Douglas Hofstadter is an interesting book if you're inclined toward that sort of thing.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Steppenwolf wrote:It definitely made me afraid to 'buzz in' on 'The Ring'. I knew that after you watched the videotape, you
Yeah, I said
Spoiler
a creepy ghost girl who crawls out of the television
which is more directly responsible for killing people.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Picked up odium, Time, Fermat, and "V". Even though I've never seen an episode of the latter, I got it because Morena Baccarin ("Firefly") was on that show. I happened to be rewatching one of her appearances on "The Good Wife" just this morning!
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

Did well on See how..ran 5/5 and Female Firsts 4/5. Shocked they didn't get Time Magazine. My other Lach Trash, Arlington, I knew because as a sports fan I knew that the Cowboys Stadium (AT&T Stadium) is in Arlington and that is a pretty major suburb of Dallas-Ft. Worth. I didn't get FJ.

I got confused on E.T.'s on TV, at first thinking it was people with those initials on TV, otherwise would've gotten Mork. I also thought the US Cities category was very difficult.

Are we going to get a five-game winner sometime in the near future?
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

Anybody else come up with The House at Pooh Corner for FJ? Not the best guess obviously (it was written in 1928, as I later googled), but it was the only thing I could think of that was "beastly" and somewhat in the right time period.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Plactus wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:It definitely made me afraid to 'buzz in' on 'The Ring'. I knew that after you watched the videotape, you
Yeah, I said
Spoiler
a creepy ghost girl who crawls out of the television
which is more directly responsible for killing people.
With the exceptions of words 2 and 3, that's exactly my response, too. And I gave myself credit, because prove me wrong, TPTB. PROVE ME WRONG! *hands them a VHS tape*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnblue wrote: I actually thought we had two good contestants today & I'm sorry to see Ann depart.
I thought we had three good contestants. Marybeth was just on the wrong show. :) Too bad for her that her sole solve on the FJ! clue could not even get her second place money.

All they wanted was car for Christine? Like others I also did year and make for the Plymouth working harder than necessary and not trying to show off. (Well, just a little.)

The stumpers in E.T.'S ON TV had both an old one with My Favorite Martian and more recent one with the reboot of V. I could tell I didn't write the category since Alf was not represented.

I tried five precalls for the FJ! category and for whatever reason three of them were creature related with:
Frankenstein
Dracula
Moby Dick
Tale of Two Cities
Robinson Crusoe/Selkirk

The clue had me unable to work out a plausible guess. Captain Hook and anyone from Baum or Carroll did not work. My precalls were out since I knew when they were written within reasonable estimation. Wanting a guess for something at least written in the 20th century even if the wrong country I scribbled The Phantom of the Opera.

I knew Marybeth was right as soon as I saw her Doyle title. My solve percentage is terrible on Doyle/Holmes type FJ! clues and it continued tonight. Memo to me: Always check on Doyle/Holmes for that time period.

Tom Cruise for Peter? I was thinking more Fritz Holznagel.
davey

Post by davey »

Austin Powers wrote:
Would have got FJ anyway, but the "Sherlock" episode set at the Dartmoor biological lab pretty much made it Pavlovian.
I don't think they would have accepted The Hounds of Baskerville, the name of that episode... ;)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Austin Powers wrote:Pretty blah group of players.

Would have got FJ anyway, but the "Sherlock" episode set at the Dartmoor biological lab pretty much made it Pavlovian.
Dartmoor + peat bog should be Pavlovian for HotB, even if one is not spotted publication date. Too bad Marybeth didn't have more money to bring into FJ for that one.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

No offense, contestants, but that was a pretty weak showing all the way around. Far too many triple-stumpers on clues requiring a reasonable level of general knowledge. And the TOMs in FJ should have led you directly to the Hound.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

At the end of J round, I was prepared to be impressed with Peter. Even though he moved off to an easy lock in DJ, it wasn't much of a round. I had $15,600 in trash and $17600 overall, with an easy and quick pickup in FJ. He has a lot more to show after that seemingly dominant round.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Mixed-Up Files of Whatever was my only NHOI in that Kiddy Lit book.
I mentioned it in the last poll thread, so it's been posted on this very board in the last four days. edit: and you have a post after mine in that thread.

Beastly title character in England in a 1902 book? What else could it be?
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Alex didn't explain 'What's Killing You?' very well. It took a clue or two before the contestants figured out it was a movie/book category in disguise.

I eventually gave a half-hearted correct response for FJ! The year threw me off for some reason, since I didn't realize that story was written in the early 1900s.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

26 right.

Europe- 2; Kiddy- 2; Denial- 0; Menu- 2; Ran- 5; You- 1
Female- 4; ET- 4; Memorable- 2; Cities- 3; Proof- 1; "O's"- 0

Lach trash: "Arlington", 'Time", "My Favorite Martian"

Only thought of Tarzan for FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Onairb wrote:Alex didn't explain 'What's Killing You?' very well. It took a clue or two before the contestants figured out it was a movie/book category in disguise.

I eventually gave a half-hearted correct response for FJ! The year threw me off for some reason, since I didn't realize that story was written in the early 1900s.
Yeah, I was expecting it was going to be about famous people and how they were killed.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Bamaman wrote:
Onairb wrote:Alex didn't explain 'What's Killing You?' very well. It took a clue or two before the contestants figured out it was a movie/book category in disguise.
Yeah, I was expecting it was going to be about famous people and how they were killed.
I thought the clues would be Colt .45, katana, ebola, first demonstrated by a British officer at Gibraltar in 1787, and arbalest.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't believe My Favorite Martian was a TS. And no Alf. Sigh.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

naurae29 wrote:Picked up odium, Time, Fermat, and "V". Even though I've never seen an episode of the latter, I got it because Morena Baccarin ("Firefly") was on that show. I happened to be rewatching one of her appearances on "The Good Wife" just this morning!
Yes same for me Morena is a hottie and an unforgettable from Firefly, instaget "V" from that, sadly that show only ran 2 seasons if I recall...

Strong game for goatmen with 38 correct responses and instaget FJ, sorry by "The House On Pooh Corner" is temporally incongruous and just doesn't cut it, ROFL!
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is not a bad guess for setting & context, but temporally incongruous again- she wrote it in 1818, as "The Modern Prometheus"!

Lach trash: Butte, V, North Pole, Walpurgis Nacht, Arlington, TX (named after Lee's home, which in fact did not belong to him, but was his wife's property, Mary Anna Custis Lee), My Fav Martian, Dorothy Parker, wondered whether Time magazine was the right one for cover girl Eleonora Dusa, 1923 but failed to pull the trigger; NHO 'Odium' new word for Goatman: I'm proud of TPH for taking that trash!

Super easy gets: eggplant parmesan, okra in gumbo (instaget for girl from N.O.); Mother's Day (2nd Sunday in May); Advent, Rejection slip, withholding tax, obstruction of justice, Disown (6 ltr; heir); Citadel = NC: NHO 'Prevent' Defense isn't that a verb used incorrectly as adjective? LOL I do not watch football (or any other sports), sigh would be easy ifso but many hours better spent...

Fun interesting gets: Leek = Welsh ornamental sprig, onion family member - Pavlov!; Christine = 1958 Plymouth Fury (a trim variant of the Belvedere base model, like you I was reaching for year and model trying to BMS, lol, can it be so easy?); I also went with autobot so I feel that it should have been acceptable for Transformers!; got Videotape for The Ring and doll for Child's Play (what an abysmally stupid series of horrible horror films that was!) clam on mirror for Oculus.

Inastaget "Where the Wild Things Are" by Sendak, is that 3 times now that appeared in past 6-8 months!? My 9 year old stumped me on the kiddie lit category (again!) with Harold & the purple Crayon, From the Mixed-Up files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler, and Stinky Tails.

Instaget George McGovern pic from 1972, Geraldine Ferraro pic form 1984 (BTW she was also a Women's First category as first female major party VP candidate), and nearly got sucked into the 1896 negbait for William Jennings Bryan with picture of McKinley, the reading of the clue leans to suggest Bryan but then I recognized him, lol! Again with the 1920 election showing a very young FDR campaigning in a forgotten campaign with running mate Cox, I purchased my copy of "1920: The Year of The Six Presidents (Harding, Coolidge, Wilson, TR, FDR, Hoover) by David Pietrusa; I recommend you get your copy in AMZN!).

This largest city category is bad negbait, for example the largest city in US is not LA, NYC or Phoenix it's Juneau AK *By AREA! So crummy little one-horse towns you NHO become 'largest' because the city limits are extensive... hence, Pittsburgh (also the most commonly misspelled city name!), Butte MT (which has far fewer ppl than Helena, the capital, or Billings, the fastest growing city in the West outside of ND oilfields), Sedona AZ where I once visited Cathedral Rock, there's a gorgeous walking trail park there that goes for miles, the city includes a huge uninhabited natural region); & Disneyland is in Anaheim (German; 'Ana's home').

Women's firsts is straight off Ferrill's study guide, 1st female surgeon general = Antonia Novello (BTW Ferreill's 4th edition incorrectly lists Jocelyn Elders as first female SG! Beware!); 1st mayor of SF Diane Feinstein (later US Senator, CA); first woman to fly over N Pole = Louise Arner Boyd (Also don't forget Harriet Quimby's flight over the English Channel in 1912, 2 days after the Titanic disaster!); Eleonora Duse, 1st Woman and 1st Italian on Time Magazine cover (AKA; "The Duse" was George Bernard Shaw's pick for 'best actress' over her bitter rival, the "Divine Sarah Bernhardt", and also had intimate relations with Isadora Duncan, the girl choked by her scarf in an Amilcar, 1927).

Other Pavlovs: Anna Karenina = Tolstoy; Leon Trosky v. Stalin's Troika, insuring he would not succeed Lenin in 1923 (later an affair with Frida Kahlo was preceded by his assassination in Mexico on Stalin's order, 1940);

Math guys were tough obscure dudes, 1637 Pierre de Fermat is recurring infrequent material for 'Last Theorem" which he described in a note in the margin of Diophantus' Arithmetica; and NHO 1931 Proof of Incompleteness by Kurt Gödel, famous more for his set theory, popularized by the likes of Bertrand Russell, author of "On Denoting." Easier were 'ovulate'; occult = obscured / supernatural; opposable thumbs (nice monkey pic) and Offal (wordy pun for excrement!)

New word for me and get by inference = 'Lemma'; a 'Dilemma without the di', which is a logical contention proof; constructive proof & Pythagorean Theorem from analysis of 3 angles;
EZ get Dr Who for Gallifrey (the last of his kind, a TIme Lord (is that Genus and Species or just Species?) who travels in a TARDIS = Time and Relative Dimensions in Space, you gotta love it!
Missed 3rd Rock from the Sun I went for The Neighbors, so I did get one wrong dammit! Good boards, slow game for these players... "Chance favors the prepared mind!" (Pasteur).

Is she not a beauty?! There are none left, they crushed hundreds to make the movie <cry!>:

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!