Tuesday, December 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by gamawire »

BADuBois wrote:
FJ was an Instaget, for obvious reasons, and I had to scratch my head at the other answers. Dracula? Frankenstein? What, no Wolfman? :-)
Wolfman is actually what my son said (because he had no clue and wanted to say something at least)!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

gamawire wrote:
BADuBois wrote:
FJ was an Instaget, for obvious reasons, and I had to scratch my head at the other answers. Dracula? Frankenstein? What, no Wolfman? :-)
Wolfman is actually what my son said (because he had no clue and wanted to say something at least)!
Of those three, Wolf Man is the best guess, though the movie has no literary antecedent and actually takes place in Wales.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:And no Alf. Sigh.
I know. Gordon Shumway never gets any respect. :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

floridagator wrote:A pretty good game, but I think the new champion is weaker than he looked with that score. There were a lot of TSs in the game. I racked up a pretty good score just from TSs. A new contestant tomorrow with broader knowledge could make short work of him.

That U.S. cities category was just plain TOUGH. Starts out with Pittsburgh and then goes to Arlington (TX), Sedona (AZ) and Butte (MONTANA!) So now J! is requiring knowledge of cities with 30,000 people?

I got Pittsburgh, Arlington, and Butte, but not Sedona. Category wasn't ToC tough.

I was frankly startled at all the TSs. I picked up $11K+ in Lach Trash for Walpurgisnacht, Arlington, Butte, Lemma, Safire, My Favorite Martian, "V," Fermat, and odium. That alone was enough to beat the two women, and my Instaget FJ allowed me to win the game from the 4th Podium. Not the best game we've seen lately. Seriously, how can two contestants see "beastly title character," 1902 story, and English moors and not come up with Hound of the Baskervilles? I was sure that would be a triple get.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:...Sedona - which I NHO BTW (ETA: Wait, I think it was mentioned in "Route 66", so I have *heard* of it, but that is the beginning and ending of my knowledge of it).
Sedona is actually 30 miles south of I-40/Route 66. The song does mention Winona AZ although it puts the towns in the wrong order for scanning and rhyming purposes, Going from east to west you'd hit Winona, then Flagstaff, then Kingman.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:Beastly title character in England in a 1902 book? What else could it be?
I've heard of Hound of the Baskervilles, and if you were to ask me what year it was in, I might have come within at least 20 years. But this wasn't coming to me no matter how much time I gave it. My mom, who is usually even worse at FJ! than I, at least got as far as "oh shoot, that one Sherlock Holmes novel".

I think I was taking "beastly" too literally and expecting it to be a story with animal characters, like The Wind in the Willows.

I also should join those who are shaming the writers for not putting Alf in ETs on TV.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Add me to the group that is shocked that Alf was left out of the ET category. I liked that category and went 5/5.
FJ was an instant for me. I recently read that book.
Too bad Ann lost. I thought she could be a multiple day champion, based on her first day performance.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Thom
Contributor

Post by Thom »

davey wrote:
gamawire wrote:
BADuBois wrote:
Of those three, Wolf Man is the best guess, though the movie has no literary antecedent and actually takes place in Wales.
I got FJ from faded memories of An American Werewolf in London. Some quotes along the lines of "Beware the moors" and "What was that? The hound of the Baskervilles?"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Silverfox wrote:Too bad Ann lost. I thought she could be a multiple day champion, based on her first day performance.
But she was a multiple day champion...?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Thom wrote: I got FJ from faded memories of An American Werewolf in London. Some quotes along the lines of "Beware the moors" and "What was that? The hound of the Baskervilles?"
There you go.
MarkBarrett wrote: All they wanted was car for Christine? Like others I also did year and make for the Plymouth working harder than necessary and not trying to show off. (Well, just a little.)
I went one step further and said "Arnie's '58 Plymouth Furry".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Category 13 wrote:I went one step further and said "Arnie's '58 Plymouth Furry".
Ooh, sorry. Your misspelling changed the meaning of the word. The judges have ruled you incorrect. How much did you wager?

(And that's without the obligatory Mika Brzezinski comment.)
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

You are correct. I just thought she could go further than what she did.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

alietr wrote:
Category 13 wrote:I went one step further and said "Arnie's '58 Plymouth Furry".
Ooh, sorry. Your misspelling changed the meaning of the word. The judges have ruled you incorrect. How much did you wager?

(And that's without the obligatory Mika Brzezinski comment.)
Well, that's what you get for making a monkey out of Mika Brzezinski.

Like you said, obligatory.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

alietr wrote:
Ha ha, good one.
Sorry about the typo.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: All they wanted was car for Christine? Like others I also did year and make for the Plymouth working harder than necessary and not trying to show off. (Well, just a little.)
I went one step further and said "Arnie's '58 Plymouth Furry".
I saw one of those once. It was dressed as a Jaguar. [rimshot]
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

My guess on ALF is that it either was a clue that got ruined and had to be replaced, or it was a backup. Because, yeah, that was my precall too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

goatman wrote:
Is she not a beauty?! There are none left, they crushed hundreds to make the movie <cry!>:
Chrysler makes ugly cars. Always has, always will.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote:My guess on ALF is that it either was a clue that got ruined and had to be replaced, or it was a backup. Because, yeah, that was my precall too.
THey could have used this clue: This 80s tv alien guest hosted part of an episode of Hollywood SQuares in 1987(yes Gordon really did)
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

goforthetie wrote:
grindcore wrote:Sorry but did Tom Cruise just become a Jeopardy! champion?
Nah. Peter's too tall.
Don't forget the platforms behind the podiums. With those and some editing magic, they could easily make Tom 7ft tall. :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:My guess on ALF is that it either was a clue that got ruined and had to be replaced, or it was a backup. Because, yeah, that was my precall too.
I wouldn't have minded a repeat appearance of Invader Zim, personally. :lol: