Wednesday, December 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Winchell Factor wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:I didn't expect to see the "no ties for second" rule put into effect so soon.
Is "no ties for second" an actual thing? This is the first I can recall hearing of it. The podiums did indeed show $2,000 for Mindy and $1,000 for Travis after FJ. Does that mean the tiebreaker is whoever gave the last correct response? It was Mindy, as she added $400 for Millenium Falcon to tie Travis at $13,500 and then neither rang in on the final four clues.
It's a thing, Jeff.
Spoiler
If FJ ends with two players tied for second, the second-place prize goes to the one who was ahead going into FJ, and the third-place prize goes to the one who was trailing. If the players were tied going into FJ, as was the case tonight, then the second-place prize goes to the one who was leading going into DJ. I have no idea what they'd do if the two players were tied going into both FJ and DJ!
This also isn't new. When I was on the show (taped four years ago), Maggie specifically went through this in the green room.

Got FJ, but wasn't sure. Kept trying to rule out folks (folks who had been both Prez and Veep -- TR, Cal, Harry Truman, LBJ, Nixon, GHWBush; then knock out some -- TR and Bush were never in Congress, etc., and time ran out).

So -- I've got the two hard ones this week and gummed up the softball last night. :(
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

No kidding! I stand corrected.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I think they meant Representative. A Senator is a Congressman.

That being said, I had no clue. Guessed Nixon. I know which ones were VP and Pres, but Congressmen? Not a clue which was one or the other or both.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Usually it's safe to check other threads here before seeing the day's game since I like to keep up with the TD and on Wednesday, Sports J!

The "A Zero Tie" thread seemed very likely to have something to do with tonight's regular J! game because of the timing and non-regular poster. I did not expect a 3-way zero tie game as the Wednesday post count would have been more than page one. When I saw the scores entering the FJ! round had Mindy & Travis tied it was very predictable they would both miss and that Peter would win.

Can I slip a fin to a mod to nix needless rogue threads and send the query to the relevant game thread in the future? ;)

The J! round had no chance to be completed. I counted once and did not care to double check my work, but I had the ridiculous PULITZER WINNERS FOR BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY at 17 syllables. These writers need to rein in the crazy long category names.

Alex's Anil Kapoor impression needs some work. He should stick to Bogart.

U.S. PRESIDENTS did not have me do any precalls. Instead I warmed up with Obama to JFK quickly backwards, reminded myself to check on Taylor/Fillmore/Pierce if necessary, reviewed the presidents with numbers divisible by 5, and told myself to remember to go in order from Washington forward if it was an early clue.

Narrowing it down to 20th c. turned out to be remember the VPs who became Pres. Instead of going in order it was Nixon who came to me first as often he is the guy in clues for was VP and also Pres. That eliminated 1968 forward to narrow the search range and I wrote Nixon

From there I went to the start and dismissed TR. I have still not finished watching the 14 hours of The Roosevelts, but I've seen the 3 Teddy parts. Out for House & Senate. I don't know all of Coolidge's serving, but I was fairly certain it was not him. From there I went back to Nixon and assured myself he fit all four parts.

With under five seconds to go I realized I never thought about Lyndon Johnson and knew I needed to switch. It was nice that LBJ is easy to write quickly. It was not until reading the comments here it hit me I forgot all about Truman. I still would have gone with LBJ, but it's careless on my part not to be able to think of all the VPs who became Pres during think time. I'll add that to my pregame warm-ups for the category next time.

Peter found the right spots to play well enough to get the repeat. We have not seen a complete game yet.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

That was a good game.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:I think they meant Representative. A Senator is a Congressman.
From Merriam-Webster-
con·gress·man noun \ˈkäŋ-(g)rəs-mən\
: someone (especially a man) who is a member of a congress and especially of the U.S. House of Representatives

Full Definition of CONGRESSMAN

: a member of a congress; especially : a member of the United States House of Representatives
Examples of CONGRESSMAN

a former congressman who is now a senator
fritzk3
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by fritzk3 »

StevenH wrote:That was a tough position in FJ for the two contestants who were tied. I commend them for going all in, as it is most likely what I would have done, but since there are no more ties there is more incentive to wager small and hope for a triple stumper.
That was a tough spot for Mindy and Travis, as each had to predict that the other would make the max wager, and therefore they had to make the matching wager. A somewhat gettable FJ category probably cemented those wagering decisions. Had it been something more obscure, MAYBE one of them would have gone for a zero wager in case of a double/triple stumper... but I doubt it.

But well done to the contestants for all having such good scores heading into FJ!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was pretty sure LBJ was the correct FJ answer but Truman & Taft both worried me. I read the Caro bio of LBJ (the first installment) so I knew he won a House race amid claims of vote fraud. I'm glad Peter repeated but for once we had 3 strong players!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Can I slip a fin to a mod to nix needless rogue threads and send the query to the relevant game thread in the future? ;)
Make it an American fin and you got yourself a deal! It's not within my modly powers to do so (only Andy can), but I'll gladly take your money! (For that matter, so will Andy, that'll put you in the JBoarder of the Month line). And, for what it's worth, I agree with you that rogue threads like that should be moved.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I thought the phrasing was a bit weird for FJ. It reminded me of a trick question, "What was the biggest island in the world before the discovery of Greenland?" Still Greenland. Likewise, did anyone accomplish the big 4 before LBJ? Because in the 20th century, that guy would still be the first.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:I didn't expect to see the "no ties for second" rule put into effect so soon.
Is "no ties for second" an actual thing? This is the first I can recall hearing of it. The podiums did indeed show $2,000 for Mindy and $1,000 for Travis after FJ. Does that mean the tiebreaker is whoever gave the last correct response? It was Mindy, as she added $400 for Millenium Falcon to tie Travis at $13,500 and then neither rang in on the final four clues.
It's a thing, Jeff.
Spoiler
If FJ ends with two players tied for second, the second-place prize goes to the one who was ahead going into FJ, and the third-place prize goes to the one who was trailing. If the players were tied going into FJ, as was the case tonight, then the second-place prize goes to the one who was leading going into DJ. I have no idea what they'd do if the two players were tied going into both FJ and DJ!
This also isn't new. When I was on the show (taped four years ago), Maggie specifically went through this in the green room.

Got FJ, but wasn't sure. Kept trying to rule out folks (folks who had been both Prez and Veep -- TR, Cal, Harry Truman, LBJ, Nixon, GHWBush; then knock out some -- TR and Bush were never in Congress, etc., and time ran out).

So -- I've got the two hard ones this week and gummed up the softball last night. :(
George HW Bush served in the House, but was never a Senator. Plus obviously later than Nixon.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

FJ was an insta-instaget for me. I had it within a second of the clue flashing on the screen.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Had so much fun rooting for a mutual friend, Mindy, tonight -- and the fact that her Daily Double pertained to the Capital Region was just too perfect. I thought $13,500 was the only bet in Final.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Holocene Hero wrote:Oof, that hurt seeing all those FJ wagers
Why? All three were correct for once. Mindy and Travis had to hope Peter would miss, and it's very common (and sensible) to go all in, in the case of a lock tie. Peter might have known that and was prudent to make the $1-lockout bet. The only sad part is how much it cost them on the TS. But the wagers were fine.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote:This was a fun but ridiculously easy board.
Interesting you say that because I thought it was difficult. I even said during the game that it seemed more like a ToC board.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Toyed with TR then recall he was Gov NY not Congressman; Taft was Chief Justice never in Congress; quickly skipping thru Pres who were not VPs eliminated Wilson, Harding, Hoover (Sec Commerce, only Pres to have been; ran on platform of: "We in America today are nearer to the final triumph over poverty than ever before in the history of any land... we shall soon, with the help of God, be in sight of the day when poverty will be banished from this nation." 1928, ROFLMAO); FDR was Asst Sec Navy, the same position that Teddy held(!) but never in Congress; he ran as VP nominee with Gov James M Cox of Ohio in 1920, was Gov NY 1929-32 (again following his Fifth Cousin's footsteps (but nephew by marriage to Eleanor, the First Lady of the World, lol), but was never VP, quickly eliminating him; Truman was a closer fit but did not serve in both chambers of Congress, like Ford who was MI Rep for 25 years but never Senator.

Eisenhower, Carter, Reagan, Clinton and GW Bush were never VPs and since George Bush was elected in the last month of the 20th century (21st century began 01012001, doh!) but inaugurated 01162001 he does not even fit in the 20th Century Category. His father G. Herbert Walker Bush was CIA Chief and UN Ambassador before that, never in Congress. So mental flossing quickly eliminates all but LBJ and Nixon. Then it comes down to knowing or guessing which one fits! GTK that LBJ was Congresssional Rep for 12 years then Senator for 12 more before he ran on the JFK ticket in 1960 as VP and assumed the Pres on 22 Nov 1963 after the fracas at the Dallas Book Depository.

Nixon was VP before LBJ but didn't get to the Prez until 1968, so LBJ got there first with the most (not firstest with the moistest, as incorrectly attributed to Nathan Bedford Forrest, for whom Forrest Gump was named; "Run Forrest, Run!) There were four men who served in all four Federal elected offices in the history of the Presidency; John Tyler, Andrew Johnson, LBJ & Richard Milhous Nixon, may he RIP after a long slow roast (BTW Nixon garnered the largest historical margin of victory in the popular vote, none before or since have beat his decisive win in 1972 vs George McGovern, who carried only MA and DC; Reagan got more total popular and electoral votes in 1984 but won by a smaller popular margin; how the mighty have fallen!).

Overall a dem fine game for goatmen with 38 correct again (gosh is there a trend here?! what are the odds...); Lach trash: Astrophel & Stella (fairly often recurring clue, the names are a play on words for 'star' from sonnets by Philiip Sidney); F-16 Fighting Falcon; Robert Falcon Scott (perished after bitter failure to beat Roald Amundsen to the South Pole); Peregrine Falcon (a lucky guess knowing it's the fastest bird alive, with the possible exception of the split-tailed swift); Refinery; 'Child Labor' but clam on Capt Phillips; negbait on David Letterman for Conan O'Brien.

Clues of note: Poet laureate, 1341 = Petrarch (Father of Humanism, lover of Laura de Noves; Do Not confuse with Plutarch, Greek author of LIves & Moralia, c. 1st Century CE); Haberdasher (gosh, AT keeps bringing this one back!); Tale of 30 Pilgrims = Pavlov for Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, which bears at least one reading!); Renaissance = French word, negbait for Italian; Mullet hairdo, recurring; Antigua & Barbuda, recurring in various forms and categories, today as "A-B"; Johnny Cash film = 'Walk the Line' do not confuse with his autobio, "The Man in Black"; Bacchanalia from the Roman God of wine (one of two myth figures with same names in Greek & Roman; Apollo = Apollo; Dionysius, also called Bacchus in Greece and Bacchus in Rome also);

Other instagets: LOTR = '11-hour film marathon from 2001- on' (IMHO the Hobbit thing is totally overdone, Jackson has squeezed three hours worth of storyline into 9 hours on 3 films and milked movie fans of every last penny from this franchise; let's finally be done with it, please! I'm not even going to see the Battle of the 5 Armies, Gawd, yet another CGI slashfest of fake gore not suitable for me or my kids); 'sugar daddy'; 'black light'; 'child labor'; Amazon River is 4k miles long in S. America (should be on kids' J!); NHO Kahlua pork but what else can it be?!

Instaget Endymion = Keats; also frequent asks: Ode On a Grecian Urn; Ode On Melancholy; Ode to a Nightingale; Ode to Psyche (Loved by Eros; NB use of 'ON' and 'TO', get it right!); La Belle Dame Sans Merci, inspired by his unrequited love for Fanny Brawne; and Hyperion. He died in 1821 of TB in Rome, where he had let a villa on the Spanish Steps with Percy Bysse Shelley, who immortalized Keats in his poem Adonais, and later died boating, in July 1822 storm in the Gulf of Spezia on the Ligurian Sea in his boat Don Juan (a compliment to George Gordon, Lord Byron, author of Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, She walks in Beauty and Don Juan, he swam the Hellespont and fought for the Greeks, but died of a fever there); all frequent asks & core material!

Another lit reference in 'being earnest' = Pavlov for Oscar Wilde, Lindbergh won a Pulitzer in 1954 for his "Spirit of St. Louis" bio of the first transatlantic flight; he also won the first Distinuguished Flying Cross awarded in 1927! (Later not so distinguished when he resigned his Army Air Corps Colonel's commission in protest of FDR war policy; FDR denied reinstatement);

More fun: Samuel Morse = Pavlov: "Dot-Dash!" "Struggles to spit out; 'Hydroelectric Power', ROFL!" instagets Nuclear Powerplamnt; Coal Mine for BTU = 'Peabody Stock Symbol'; Milennium Falcon; Thomas More: Utopia.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

davey wrote:
From Merriam-Webster-
: someone (especially a man) who is a member of a congress and especially of the U.S. House of Representatives

: a member of a congress; especially : a member of the United States House of Representatives
Examples of CONGRESSMAN

A dictionary is not a substitute for thinking, just like a spell check will not help you get the "its" and "it's" or "their" and "there" right.
davey

Post by davey »

gnash wrote:
davey wrote:
From Merriam-Webster-

Examples of CONGRESSMAN

A dictionary is not a substitute for thinking, just like a spell check will not help you get the "its" and "it's" or "their" and "there" right.
Are you suggesting that careful writers DO call senators "Congressmen"? I thought about it, and I'm certain that they don't. ("Members of Congress," sure.) But I like to check the facts and not rely on my own authority, so this definition, and the example, make the point.

Dictionaries are so much more useful than spell checks. They are the product of thinking.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

goatman wrote: "Struggles to spit out; 'Hydroelectric Power', ROFL!"
Was that Mindy who did that?
I let out a big groan when (she) said "What is water?.........fall"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: The J! round had no chance to be completed. I counted once and did not care to double check my work, but I had the ridiculous PULITZER WINNERS FOR BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY at 17 syllables. These writers need to rein in the crazy long category names.
Why? Does saying "Pulitzer" take a long time? (I think even in a case like that, they'd let you slide not saying the whole name in full the first time.)
gnash wrote: A dictionary is not a substitute for thinking, just like a spell check will not help you get the "its" and "it's" or "their" and "there" right.
What? Yes it is! A dictionary is literally a substitute for thinking!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)