Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

Pharaoh doesn't end with "oah" (except in SNL cast member Jay's last name). (For that matter, neither does "whoa.")
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILER

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:Pharaoh doesn't end with "oah" (except in SNL cast member Jay's last name). (For that matter, neither does "whoa.")
You probably weren't talking to me, but I corrected my spelling in the FJ post anyway. :oops:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

fowlerism wrote:I have this vague memory (may not be true) that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays because the only birthday celebrations in the bible are of non-believers. Anyway, that's how I got this one.
You are correct, my cousin converted to JW when he married one, and I've learned a bit about their religion since then. This is exactly why they don't celebrate birthdays. They also don't celebrate any holidays (Christmas (Bible doesn't command believers to celebrate Jesus' birth and anyways, JWs believe that Jesus was born on I think it's October 10), Fourth of July (patriotism is a no-no for JWs, I think it has to do with giving God primacy), or any holiday.) The only thing they do celebrate is wedding anniversaries, since weddings are in the Bible, and they believe they are given by God.
seaborgium wrote:Pharaoh doesn't end with "oah" (except in SNL cast member Jay's last name). (For that matter, neither does "whoa.")
And in the last name of my friend Don. (You can't think Jay is the only one, seaborgium. ;) ) Interesting story behind Don's name, his family name used to be Farrow, but in the late 19th century there was an ancestor of his that was a criminal (I think he robbed a bank or something), so, to evade the authorities, he changed his last name, from Farrow to Pharoah. :) (He didn't say how well it worked for him, but this ancestor didn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the family tree). To this day, I still tend to spell the Egyptian ruler that way, because I'm much more familiar with Don than I am the Egyptian kings (and I write his name more often day to day too, heck I just came back from a Christmas party at Don's house.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
And in the last name of my friend Don. (You can't think Jay is the only one, seaborgium. ;) ) Interesting story behind Don's name, his family name used to be Farrow, but in the late 19th century there was an ancestor of his that was a criminal (I think he robbed a bank or something), so, to evade the authorities, he changed his last name, from Farrow to Pharoah. :) (He didn't say how well it worked for him, but this ancestor didn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the family tree). To this day, I still tend to spell the Egyptian ruler that way, because I'm much more familiar with Don than I am the Egyptian kings (and I write his name more often day to day too, heck I just came back from a Christmas party at Don's house.)
Huh, turns out Jay Pharoah had Farrow as his last name at birth. People named Farrow don't know how to spell Pharaoh, I guess?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

If they're fans of first-gen bird Pokémon, then they can go with spelling it "Fearow".
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

A very good game for me. Forty-one right and only 5 wrong.
5/5 in TV, Ohio and Song.
FJ-not. The Bible is not one of my strongest areas. Most of what I learned, I have forgotten by now. But I do not plan on studying it.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:She kept her wits about her and came up with a name starting with "B" at least.
And Baldwin is a piano company, so it wasn't a bad guess. If Beethoven comes to you it's obvious, but I can certainly imagine not making the connection under pressure.
Ludwig Van Beethoven isn't pavlovian?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:She kept her wits about her and came up with a name starting with "B" at least.
And Baldwin is a piano company, so it wasn't a bad guess. If Beethoven comes to you it's obvious, but I can certainly imagine not making the connection under pressure.
For a piano manufacturer? I wouldn't think so.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

bpmod wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:

Brian
I agree. In the context of Eroica or Fidelio, sure, but not in this context. At least, not for me.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Rebuttal

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Brian
The clue asked for a man who was being honored by a piano manufacturer, by the use of his initials.
Beethoven did all or most of his composing on a piano. The answer came to me in a nano second.

Because Steinway does not produce Baldwin pianos, I can't credit Jennifer for a reasonable guess. IMHO, the better incorrect response would have been "Who was Liberace", since his full name is relatively obscure.
BoK

Post by BoK »

goatman wrote: Hmmm I was pretty upset they didn't credit Pharoah Ramses as many scholars and hx references imply, suggest or even deduce that the Pharoah in question was likely that guy.
The pharoah of Exodus is often considered to be Ramses the Great, but that is not the same one as Genesis 40
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Indeed. According to Exodus, the Israelites were slaves in Egypt for over 400 years.
davey

Post by davey »

Winchell Factor wrote:Indeed. According to Exodus, the Israelites were slaves in Egypt for over 400 years.
That's true, but does anyone know how many generations elapsed between Joseph and the Exodus? I haven't found a chronology that makes it clear.
In any case the reason for not accepting a name is that the Bible doesn't offer one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:Indeed. According to Exodus, the Israelites were slaves in Egypt for over 400 years.
That's true, but does anyone know how many generations elapsed between Joseph and the Exodus? I haven't found a chronology that makes it clear.
In any case the reason for not accepting a name is that the Bible doesn't offer one.
How many generations are in 400 years? (The Israelites' time in Egypt starts with Joseph as he was employed in Pharaoh's court.) Rough guess, 20.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
davey wrote:
How many generations are in 400 years? (The Israelites' time in Egypt starts with Joseph as he was employed in Pharaoh's court.) Rough guess, 20.
Thanks, now that you say that the captivity started with Joseph - I should have realized that.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

I believe the captivity actually began some unspecified number of years later, when there arose a Pharaoh who did not remember Joseph.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Winchell Factor wrote:I believe the captivity actually began some unspecified number of years later, when there arose a Pharaoh who did not remember Joseph.
They were in Egypt from the time of Joseph to the Exodus, they were just in captivity once Joseph was forgotten and the Pharaohs began mistreating Joseph's descendants.