Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, December 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billiej »

Leander wrote:I thought placing the event in Genesis pretty clearly pointed to a Pharaoh, but it was a bit rough since I could see where you might think you had to come up with a name too .
That's what sunk me. I thought of Pharaoh first but couldn't come up with a name (now I know why) so I switched to David just to have something. :twisted:
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:I thought of Joseph, but wasn't sure he was a ruler, so I switched to Pharoh. I thought Ramses, but only wrote down Pharoh.

Bad bets by the two trailers.
Got this one thanks to musical theater -- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, thanks to the song about Potiphar -- "Potiphar was cool and so fine / But his wife would never toe the line / It's all there in Chapter 39 of Genesis." Figured it had to be Pharaoh, since that placed Chapter 40 right in the middle of the Joseph story.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Instaget FJ, but the Bible is a wheelhouse category for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you writers for another TV category two days later. Unlike Tuesday nice to see the players run through it effortlessly.

Because the challengers went along with Peter's opening play, things like George Sand and Margaret Mead having no response had me smiling.

What is causing all the low DD wagers in regular play recently? Nothing higher than
Spoiler
$2600
since Thanksgiving.

Pharaoh for me on the FJ! clue although the birthday bit meant nothing to me. I then spent 29 seconds thinking about Joseph having to be in Genesis 40 and being a ruler. My gut told me, "Don't switch. Don't switch." The other thought I had was, "I wonder if anyone will guess Saul, David or Solomon?" Guessing David is better than no guess.

I would say with 100% certainty that just "Pharaoh" is correct and no one needed to add "of Egypt" to be right. Alex already handled the bad news for anyone who added any kind of Ramses.

The show aired in its entirety, but for the first time in forever never that I can recall the screen had all these extras from start to finish. Sure beats a preemption so no complaint by me.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ WNEM has pre-empted Wheel three times in two weeks. Two of the three were for a Time-Life infomercial, and the third was for their annual winter weather road show which also knocked out J! that day. I'm so glad they're not the only affiliate around these parts.

But seriously, two Time-Life infomercial in two weeks? Are they that hard up for money?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:Bad neg for the returning champ, and I fully expect a lot of hewing and crying over it both on Facebook and here (but mainly on Facebook), but it was justified as the Bible never clearly states which Pharaoh it was, IMHO attempts to pin the actual one down in historicity is difficult, as the Bible doesn't give many clues (and Egyptian history also isn't all too precise), but, regardless, the Pharaoh still isn't mentioned.
There is no historical evidence for any of the events described in Genesis, so no connection with an actual historical pharaoh is possible. Clearly providing any name is wrong.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote:I would say with 100% certainty that just "Pharaoh" is correct and no one needed to add "of Egypt" to be right.
Yes, in fact, "Pharaoh of Egypt" is a redundancy.
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

FJ annoyed me today. My initial thought was the Pharaoh, but I knew that I was never going to figure out his name, so I guessed Joseph, just to have something. It just seemed like they were looking for the specific name of the person, not just their title
davey

Post by davey »

Is there any other "ruler" - besides God! - mentioned that early in the Bible? I certainly couldn't think of one, which made this pretty instant. (Moses would be a better guess than Saul or David.) Glad I didn't fret about finding a name, since I knew he isn't given one in the Bible.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote:The female contestant was overly timid on the DD wagers IMO. Especially right after no-brainer Face Book response in the stock symbols category. The LVB clue in the $400 slot seemed like a gimme also, but she totaly blanked..... come on.

Then Peter didn't even try to overtake second place on his DD. I stopped rooting for him after that.
Ummm, you go on national TV in front of millions of people and PLAY JEOPARDY FOR REALZ ZOMG! and you try having your wits about you. "The lights" are a real thing that has been talked about here, and those definitely sound like what might happen under "the lights".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
Category 13 wrote:The female contestant was overly timid on the DD wagers IMO. Especially right after no-brainer Face Book response in the stock symbols category. The LVB clue in the $400 slot seemed like a gimme also, but she totaly blanked..... come on.

Then Peter didn't even try to overtake second place on his DD. I stopped rooting for him after that.
Ummm, you go on national TV in front of millions of people and PLAY JEOPARDY FOR REALZ ZOMG! and you try having your wits about you. "The lights" are a real thing that has been talked about here, and those definitely sound like what might happen under "the lights".
She kept her wits about her and came up with a name starting with "B" at least.
OCSam
fritzk3
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by fritzk3 »

Bamaman wrote:I thought of Joseph, but wasn't sure he was a ruler, so I switched to Pharoh. I thought Ramses, but only wrote down Pharoh.

Jennifer was in a tough position - she probably needs to bet enough to cover a potential double-up by Peter, since if Ryan gets it right, she can't catch him. Ryan bet as he needed to, to cover a potential double-up by Jennifer.

Peter's bet was the one that perplexed me. I think he might have been better off betting $1 more than a zero bet from Jennifer, since he only wins on a double-stumper by the two ahead of him. If he bets that small amount, I think he might have come out ahead on the triple-stumper.

Still - I thought it was a pretty good game by all three contestants.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OrangeSAM wrote:She kept her wits about her and came up with a name starting with "B" at least.
And Baldwin is a piano company, so it wasn't a bad guess. If Beethoven comes to you it's obvious, but I can certainly imagine not making the connection under pressure.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

fritzk3 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Jennifer was in a tough position - she probably needs to bet enough to cover a potential double-up by Peter, since if Ryan gets it right, she can't catch him. Ryan bet as he needed to, to cover a potential double-up by Jennifer.
But Jennifer didn't bet to cover a double-up by Peter. She's in Stratton's Dilemma, where you have to guess whether to bet small hoping to win on a triple stumper or bet big enough to cover third, but she made an in-between bet which pretty much minimizes her chances.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

I have this vague memory (may not be true) that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays because the only birthday celebrations in the bible are of non-believers. Anyway, that's how I got this one.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I was screaming at Peter, "Bet $1,400!!!, bet $1,400!!!" Alas, he didn't listen, and it cost him the game. Sad, just sad....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

fowlerism wrote:I have this vague memory (may not be true) that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays because the only birthday celebrations in the bible are of non-believers. Anyway, that's how I got this one.
When I was in 5th grade, the girl that sat behind me was a Jehovah's Witness. I always found it funny when she would turn down treats that other kids would pass out on their birthdays.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
fowlerism wrote:I have this vague memory (may not be true) that the Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays because the only birthday celebrations in the bible are of non-believers. Anyway, that's how I got this one.
When I was in 5th grade, the girl that sat behind me was a Jehovah's Witness. I always found it funny when she would turn down treats that other kids would pss out on their birthdays.
Your omission of vowels is amusing.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

dhkendall wrote:I fully expect when Johnny introduces Ryan tomorrow, he does his Doctor Evil pinky finger gesture when his dollar winnings are read.

Bad neg for the returning champ, and I fully expect a lot of hewing and crying over it both on Facebook and here (but mainly on Facebook), but it was justified as the Bible never clearly states which Pharaoh it was, IMHO attempts to pin the actual one down in historicity is difficult, as the Bible doesn't give many clues (and Egyptian history also isn't all too precise), but, regardless, the Pharaoh still isn't mentioned. (Instaget one for me, btw, I'm pretty good with Bible clues, I wouldn't say they are a wheelhouse, but I definitely do better than average on them.)
Hmmm I was pretty upset they didn't credit Pharoah Ramses as many scholars and hx references imply, suggest or even deduce that the Pharoah in question was likely that guy.
IMHO shoulda been okay, AT c/o "I'm concerned that of the past week we're 0 for 9 on FJ..." Dude, that's b/c ur writers need to update and reload their clue bank! So vague... sigh.

>"The poor performance of your pupils reflects upon the quality of their instruction." Give us good clear well-considered FJs with substantive TMO not these oddball clutch and grabs!

I agree that Dr Evil impression was quite effective, he really does it well and kind of looks like him too, very convincing! Well-played, Army dude! Nice blues, looking sharp, Captain!

Still a pretty decent game for goatmen with 36 correct responses. Enjoyed the 'simple machines' category, Renaissance (what's a French word for rebirth) engineering at its finest!
Recall: The Simple Six: Pulley, Wheel & Axle; Wedge; Lever; Inclined Plane; Screw (Archimedes' water-raiser, not what you do to people you dislike at the office!)

Lach trash: Flywheel, George Sand, Bedrich Smetana, LVB.

Instagets: Bloodline, Bloodstone, The Moldau = Bedrich Smetana (CZ), Speakeasy / cloakroom / Naked Ape = Desmond Morris (I read it when I was seven sneaking into Dad's room, he said I shouldn't look at those 'bad books'; unforgettable!); sky-scraper/box; Buddy Holley > Peggy Sue; LVB ==>Ludwig Von Beethoven, lol! for stock symbol; FB = Facebook IPO 2012 (yes I lost $ on it, bah!); GE= GE; NHO BBW for "Build-a-bear", lol. Got Ahmedinajad, Daniel Ortega = Nicaragua invader, Lucian Freus (Sister Anna also recently featured, go figure!), Margaret Mead = 'American museum of Ethnology.

Animals instants on Hyena / Jaguar / Beaver / Shrew (small varmint, insectivore) / and Yak (Tibet) Ran the category!

THe Ohio category was core material incl: Columbus = named for a dude from Genoa, statue of same donated therefrom; B.F. Goodrich >>Akron OH (I think that's 3x this year!); NHO Great American Tower so tossup between Cinncinnati and Cleveland if you didn't know, lucky guess on the former;

The negbait on 1865 clue about Alex Dumas was utterly confusing, please stop making these clues so convoluted, sheesh! Instaget: Lust for Life = VanGogh, Life f Riley, clam on Life of Pi author = Jan Martel (DOH!) ; Fiddler on the Roof = To life, mechaim! and pic of George Sand (Amantine Lucile Dupin) = Pavlov for Chopin's lover, gottoknow!); Sodom -> Marquis de Sade and Enfant "Terrible."

Flywheel (spinning disc named like an insect, lol) Turbine nice demo! but clam on 'prime mover' easy in the retrospectometer. Hasselhoff in the actors, always weak for men who stare at goats.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Cincy clue mentioned it being the Queen City. Also, the Reds play on Great American Ballpark.