Jeopardy and Wheel vs the NFL: The Email Saga

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Jeopardy and Wheel vs the NFL: The Email Saga

Post by zakharov »

Deadspin just posted some email from the big Sony leak between Harry Friedman and various Sony/NFL higher-ups. No shocker, but Friedman wasn't happy about his shows getting pre-empted for NFL pregame. I like Harry's technological solution at the end - does anyone know if that's possible?

http://deadspin.com/how-cbs-and-the-nfl ... socialflow
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
CheezeWhiz

Re: Jeopardy and Wheel vs the NFL: The Email Saga

Post by CheezeWhiz »

I like the fact that Sony Pictures Television president Steve Mosko would write an email such as this:

"You need to make sure armando knows I'm angry because he f***ed w harry"

Glad to know the bigwigs speak just like us common-folk.
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

This one pretty well sums it up:

Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:27 PM
To: Mosko, Steve
Subject: FW: CBS Thursday Night Football - Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy! Stations

This sucks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

zakharov wrote:Deadspin just posted some email from the big Sony leak between Harry Friedman and various Sony/NFL higher-ups. No shocker, but Friedman wasn't happy about his shows getting pre-empted for NFL pregame. I like Harry's technological solution at the end - does anyone know if that's possible?

http://deadspin.com/how-cbs-and-the-nfl ... socialflow
Maybe? Would it ever be implemented? No.

Digital channels can be multiplexed all on their own(in LA, Jeopardy is on KABC 7.1, while 7.2 and 7.3 are also there doin their own thing.)

The biggest issue is...well...7.2 and 7.3 are already full fledged channels as far as the network's concerned. I can't imagine anyone behind 7.2 or 7.3 gladly giving up their 7pm block so 7.1 could run a live event and use the subchannel as a spare for J!+WOF. And those are harder stations to get to.

Alternatively, there could be a spare floating channel networks get to dump scheduled shows on (something the local region isn't using) but, again, how do you get to it, and what if two+ networks want to air the same crap at the same time? (The State of the Union, tonight on 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37... and CSPAN, whatever station we put it on, we forgot too.)

And then there's option 3...which I haven't figured out yet but would do everything AND make a kitty in your espresso foam.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:This one pretty well sums it up:

Subject: FW: CBS Thursday Night Football - Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy! Stations

This sucks.
Seriously. There's gold in them thar emails.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

Volante wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:This one pretty well sums it up:

This sucks.
Seriously. There's gold in them thar emails.
"See I've got this thing.........and it's f***in golden!"
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

In the Detroit area, Jeopardy! is shown by an NBC afilliate. I had no idea that people in other cities were missing Thursday night games because of football. Come to think of it, I watched hardly any Thursday night games because the matchups were so awful.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Blue Lion wrote:I had no idea that people in other cities were missing Thursday night games because of football. Come to think of it, I watched hardly any Thursday night games because the matchups were so awful.
Perhaps none more awful than next week's game, the hapless Tennessee Titans vs. the woeful Jacksonville Jaguars. Who schedules these things, anyway? They should re-title Thursday Night Football and call it NFL's Crummy Game of the Week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:I had no idea that people in other cities were missing Thursday night games because of football. Come to think of it, I watched hardly any Thursday night games because the matchups were so awful.
Perhaps none more awful than next week's game, the hapless Tennessee Titans vs. the woeful Jacksonville Jaguars. Who schedules these things, anyway? They should re-title Thursday Night Football and call it NFL's Crummy Game of the Week.
Hard to top the 6 field goal fest from last night that the Cards and Rams gave, but if anyone can do it it's the Titans & Jags.

Thanks z for starting the thread as the email ping pong match was good reading.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

The local CBS affiliate here in Boston preempts WoF and J! every Friday during football season in order to air a show about the Patriots. (Well, they bump the shows to 2 am on Saturday -- same difference.) I hate it.
Teems with quiet fun.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Do you think Sony leaked these emails as revenge on CBS? I find it hard to believe that this is what someone would search for in the hacked data.
Volante

Post by Volante »

boson wrote:Do you think Sony leaked these emails as revenge on CBS? I find it hard to believe that this is what someone would search for in the hacked data.
You haven't been paying attention to what people have been searching for in the hacked data, have you?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Volante wrote:
boson wrote:Do you think Sony leaked these emails as revenge on CBS? I find it hard to believe that this is what someone would search for in the hacked data.
You haven't been paying attention to what people have been searching for in the hacked data, have you?
I haven't really - movies and celebrity gossip is what I thought. Does J! behind the scenes stuff really interest anyone besides us?
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

boson wrote:
Volante wrote:
I haven't really - movies and celebrity gossip is what I thought. Does J! behind the scenes stuff really interest anyone besides us?
Even though it isn't really tabloid drama like the emails regarding Angelina Jolie and Barack Obama, they are fascinating emails that show the internal workings of TV execs on a day to day basis trying to maintain ratings and keep their shows running strong. It also helps there is a powerhouse organization like the NFL involved in this situation (and it kinda reads like a soap opera with CBS "betraying" Sony when they said they should get juicy lead in time slots when it actually didn't turn out that way). From reading some of the comments on different outlets this story is posted, Harry is one of the few "Sony Execs" coming out in a positive light after the Sony hack for how he defended the two shows and for the proposal he made regarding people watching preempted shows.
Last edited by ten96lt on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

"Is Steve Mosko gonna have to choke a bitch?"
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:Maybe? Would it ever be implemented? No.
Harry mentions DirecTV and AT&T U-verse; I have no doubt that they (and other cable/satellite providers) could quickly implement pretty much what he proposes, assuming they could get copies of the show for their on-demand sections. One bugaboo would be that the "pop-up" message he proposes would depend on the schedule information being known in advance, i.e., it probably wouldn't be a seamless experience in the case of a show being pre-empted due to breaking news. But, of course, the big issue is the existing contracts with local stations, which probably prevent this sort of thing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vermonter wrote:"Is Steve Mosko gonna have to choke a bitch?"
Wayne Brady would. Wait, I'm over 50 how am I supposed to catch Chappelle references?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Lol at anybody really believing the NFL was going to do some sort of fun cross-promotion for J! and Wheel.
Volante

Post by Volante »

boson wrote:
Volante wrote:
To be fair, they were probably searching for NFL gossip rather than J!/WOF
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

immaf wrote:The local CBS affiliate here in Boston preempts WoF and J! every Friday during football season in order to air a show about the Patriots. (Well, they bump the shows to 2 am on Saturday -- same difference.) I hate it.
I get it here on CBS in the middle of the afternoon so it isn't bumped on a regular basis. But when it does get dropped, usually on holidays, they never replay it at another time.