Jeopardy and Wheel vs the NFL: The Email Saga

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Jeopardy and Wheel vs the NFL: The Email Saga

Post by Budphrey »

This seems to be a larger-scale, more systematic version of what Friedman deals with on a nickel-and-dime basis with individual stations. In Chicago, ABC-7 puts J! at a great disadvantage to begin with by scheduling it in midafternoon; they don't seem to have got the "appointment TV" memo. And it takes very little provocation for them to pre-empt and reschedule it for some time like 2:10 a.m.

This will only get worse in the next few years as the station has just acquired the local broadcast rights for the Cubs, who (by local ordinance) have to schedule any Thursday or Friday home games during daylight. And they will routinely also put a Wednesday game in the afternoon if it's the last one before a road trip.

My own situation is relatively fortunate in that respect because I can afford DVR service, which has proved pretty nimble in adapting when shows get rescheduled. But in general the whole thing has got to be just one more dram of frustration for the Sony front office.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Budphrey wrote:In Chicago, ABC-7 puts J! at a great disadvantage to begin with by scheduling it in midafternoon; they don't seem to have got the "appointment TV" memo. And it takes very little provocation for them to pre-empt and reschedule it for some time like 2:10 a.m.
WLS's treatment of J! does seem disrespectful. It's one thing for them to pre-empt it but the times they reschedule it for add insult to injury. A recent example: not only did the Chu-Japinga-Rider ToC SF game get pre-empted because of Chicago's new archbishop, it got rescheduled for 3:10 a.m. (J! is less important than a repeat of Windy City LIVE? Really?!)
Budphrey wrote:This will only get worse in the next few years as the station has just acquired the local broadcast rights for the Cubs, who (by local ordinance) have to schedule any Thursday or Friday home games during daylight. And they will routinely also put a Wednesday game in the afternoon if it's the last one before a road trip.
:o
At least J! will be in repeats for six of those weeks. :roll:
(Thanks for the heads up, though.)
Last edited by Carpe Diem on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rmfromfla »

Bama, the station that has been carrying J! in Panama City since 1986 (season 3) supposedly had a clause in its contract with King World/Sony that the show couldn't be moved to a back-up time slot (regular 4:30) in case of pre-emptions (such as hurricane coverage, a presidential visit, speech by Michele Obama on the beach, among others). There has been some wiggle room for holidays: one Christmas, it aired at 6:30 AM; this past Labor Day, 12 noon.

Apparently doesn't apply to the weekend reruns -- some of those wind up on early Sunday mornings at 2 AM. :o
goongas

Post by goongas »

I hope the online experiment with Sports Jeopardy! is successful so we don't have to be subjected to this nonsense. Years from now, I imagine Sony will cutout the middleman and just host their own shows (like other shows will). The economic model is not there right now, but I hope eventually it will be. I would suggest watching Sports Jeopardy! even if you don't like sports (just go do some chores while it is playing) so the page views are high.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goongas wrote:I hope the online experiment with Sports Jeopardy! is successful so we don't have to be subjected to this nonsense. Years from now, I imagine Sony will cutout the middleman and just host their own shows (like other shows will). The economic model is not there right now, but I hope eventually it will be. I would suggest watching Sports Jeopardy! even if you don't like sports (just go do some chores while it is playing) so the page views are high.
That's all well and good, but I prefer to watch my TV in HD. Sports Jeopardy! is, of course, not available in HD, as it is (currently) impossible to stream HD content online.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

From an article I read about 1-2 months ago, the first 3 weeks of "Sports Jeopardy" had a total viewership of just under a million.
And even though it's had less than 1/4 of a season under its belt, Sony was already shopping the SJ format to other countries at a trade show in France back in October.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

rmfromfla wrote:Bama, the station that has been carrying J! in Panama City since 1986 (season 3) supposedly had a clause in its contract with King World/Sony that the show couldn't be moved to a back-up time slot (regular 4:30) in case of pre-emptions (such as hurricane coverage, a presidential visit, speech by Michele Obama on the beach, among others). There has been some wiggle room for holidays: one Christmas, it aired at 6:30 AM; this past Labor Day, 12 noon.

Apparently doesn't apply to the weekend reruns -- some of those wind up on early Sunday mornings at 2 AM. :o
I live near Birmingham and watch it on that station. The Dan Pawson TOC aired in March, so it got bumped by March Madness. I e-mailed the station and asked if they'd air it at some other time and they did.
goongas

Post by goongas »

That's all well and good, but I prefer to watch my TV in HD. Sports Jeopardy! is, of course, not available in HD, as it is (currently) impossible to stream HD content online.
Netflix streams certain shows like House of Cards in 4K, in addition to HD. You can watch videos in HD on YouTube. If they wanted to, Crackle could stream in HD, it is a cost issue I am guessing.

What J! should have done is aired the Thursday episodes also as the weekend episode, so where it got preempted could be seen by more people if they couldn't find it airing at another time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Watching Sports Jeopardy! on my computer is a huge pain in the ass. I have to go online and click several times to get to the Crackle website. Then I have to sit through commercials I can't speed through, I have grown to despise Jamal Charles from having to sit through his bad acting in the commercials. The picture is jumpy at times and Dan Patrick sucks as a host.

I can live with it on a once a week program, but I wouldn't want to have to do it every day.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

bpmod wrote:
goongas wrote:I hope the online experiment with Sports Jeopardy! is successful so we don't have to be subjected to this nonsense. Years from now, I imagine Sony will cutout the middleman and just host their own shows (like other shows will). The economic model is not there right now, but I hope eventually it will be. I would suggest watching Sports Jeopardy! even if you don't like sports (just go do some chores while it is playing) so the page views are high.

Brian
Certainly not true. The only thing that stops them from streaming in HD is the extra bandwidth it would take, meaning higher costs. (Well, unless they also have shitty software they're using for the streaming.) Many streaming sites offer HD. Once they get "serious" with it, it'll certainly be in HD.

And if we ever do go into a model where tv channels cease to exist and production companies host their own shows (well, I guess Netflix is already partially there), we'll be way past HD, and probably 4K as well.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goongas wrote:Netflix streams certain shows like House of Cards in 4K, in addition to HD. You can watch videos in HD on YouTube. If they wanted to, Crackle could stream in HD, it is a cost issue I am guessing.
Caboom wrote:Certainly not true. The only thing that stops them from streaming in HD is the extra bandwidth it would take, meaning higher costs. (Well, unless they also have shitty software they're using for the streaming.) Many streaming sites offer HD. Once they get "serious" with it, it'll certainly be in HD.

And if we ever do go into a model where tv channels cease to exist and production companies host their own shows (well, I guess Netflix is already partially there), we'll be way past HD, and probably 4K as well.
OK. Since there is no definition of 'HD' which distinguishes picture quality from analogue cable tv, I will rephrase that and say I prefer to watch my TV in greater than 15Mb/s.

In addition to that, I cannot watch netflix and would never pay the extra money (for a new computer and OS (and all of the extra hassle of that OS)) to watch a stream of that quality.
goongas wrote:What J! should have done is aired the Thursday episodes also as the weekend episode, so where it got preempted could be seen by more people if they couldn't find it airing at another time.
Our weekend episodes are already preempted almost every week, so there'd not likely be any improvement there.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goongas

Post by goongas »

What I am implying is this is probably going to be the future of TV, like it or not. Advertisers hate DVRs because of the commercial skipping. They will insist on locking down the commercial viewing. Or another model that not many will like is for Sony to charge money per episode instead of using commercials. The picture quality, the bandwidth issues, the ease of finding and playing the episodes will be improved (I can probably use my Amazon TV to do a voice search of Sports Jeopardy! on Crackle if I had the proper remote for example). The 1950s model of TV will eventually go away. And the email thread we saw is an example of why it will go away. Sony should not be at the mercy of CBS to show their programs.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

goongas wrote:The 1950s model of TV will eventually go away.
This will (only) happen when finding something you love to watch is as simple as pressing a single button.

If the TV biz people are smart, they'll work to get rid of the button, and have the screen come on and start playing something the viewer (or even better, all the viewers) will predictably love as soon as they sit down on the couch.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote:
goongas wrote:The 1950s model of TV will eventually go away.
This will (only) happen when finding something you love to watch is as simple as pressing a single button.

If the TV biz people are smart, they'll work to get rid of the button, and have the screen come on and start playing something the viewer (or even better, all the viewers) will predictably love as soon as they sit down on the couch.
Personally, I hate being that predictable.
I'm no fan of algorithms like Netflix's that purport to tell me what I will like.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Carpe Diem wrote:
Budphrey wrote:This will only get worse in the next few years as the station has just acquired the local broadcast rights for the Cubs, who (by local ordinance) have to schedule any Thursday or Friday home games during daylight. And they will routinely also put a Wednesday game in the afternoon if it's the last one before a road trip.
Postscript: WLS says it will only be broadcasting 25 Cubs games next summer (compared with the 60 games WGN was airing yearly). So that means 45 more games shunted to cable, and fewer opportunities to disrupt the Jeopardy! schedule. So, not as big an issue as it might have been.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

davey wrote:I'm no fan of algorithms like Netflix's that purport to tell me what I will like.
Hear, hear! I believe an enormous statue of Arthur Dent was sculpted on that theme.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Budphrey wrote:Postscript: WLS says it will only be broadcasting 25 Cubs games next summer (compared with the 60 games WGN was airing yearly). So that means 45 more games shunted to cable, and fewer opportunities to disrupt the Jeopardy! schedule. So, not as big an issue as it might have been.
I usually shun pedantic posts, but I would expect a Jeopardy! champion to be somewhat better at subtracting 25 from 60. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BobF wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Postscript: WLS says it will only be broadcasting 25 Cubs games next summer (compared with the 60 games WGN was airing yearly). So that means 45 more games shunted to cable, and fewer opportunities to disrupt the Jeopardy! schedule. So, not as big an issue as it might have been.
I usually shun pedantic posts, but I would expect a Jeopardy! champion to be somewhat better at subtracting 25 from 60. :-)
Well, it is the Cubs, so it feels like 45 games.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Budphrey wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
Postscript: WLS says it will only be broadcasting 25 Cubs games next summer (compared with the 60 games WGN was airing yearly). So that means 45 more games shunted to cable, and fewer opportunities to disrupt the Jeopardy! schedule. So, not as big an issue as it might have been.
So in other words, they're only going to broadcast until they're mathematically eliminated?

(And then another 20 games for the hell of it?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
Budphrey wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
So in other words, they're only going to broadcast until they're mathematically eliminated?

(And then another 20 games for the hell of it?)
Better manager and better pitching in 2015. Get your bets down, the Back to the Future II prophecy is coming true. :lol: